Dating and Courting: Is There a Difference?

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
maybe she views dating as simply "testing out" different men, and seeing which one she ultimately wants to pick, and doesn't want that.

there is something about the word "courting' that makes me think that you've already chosen this person, and have in mind marriage.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IMO. Dating and courting are just sementic terms that people attach to the process of determining wether or not they're interested in someone.

Some people say thet won't date, but they still go through a period of evaluation when they meet someone.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

LifeInYou

a little lamb...*baaaa
Feb 11, 2003
Cali
Visit site
✟8,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
All I know is I don't like the expectations that go along with either of them
sick.gif

I'm taking applications for a best friend who will someday be my lover....
PM me for further info.

Prerequisites: gives good back rubs, likes to laugh
kawaii.gif
, loves Jesus
bow.gif
, can handle spicy food
yum.gif
and a woman who knows what she wants

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Donny_B

Mar 4, 2003
North Carolina
✟740.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I see dating as where you have no future committments for future dates and you are not forbidden to date someone else.

Courting is where you agree not to date anybody else but to date that person exclusivley, but you are not yet engaged. It used to be called and is probably synonymous with the term "going steady".

Engaged is where you have agreed to marry the other person, but you are not yet married. You could still break off the engagement.

Married is the point of no return, no turning back, as long as you both shall live (Unless divorce comes, of course, but this was not part of God's original plan for marriage).

Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
in a short answer to one tat I could meake very long.

Dating is "testing the waters" trying our different people - it can be with someone you hardly know etcc.

Courting - normally happens with someone you are already freinds with - or if it is with someone you don't know very well - it involves becomeing freinds first.

Courting has as the goal - marriage. You are not going to court someone you have no intention of marrying.

Upvote 0

Hewitt

God's little drummer boy
Apr 20, 2002
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟3,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
leecappella said:
I have a female friend who refuses to 'date'. She wants to court instead. Is there a difference if in both cases the mutual goal is finding that one person to commit to for life? Thanks in advance.

Ask her if she has read the book Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris. He has been one of the leaders in the modern day courting process. He admits that the name means nothing, but he prefers to refer to courting as a relationship built on previous friendship and loaded with accountability.

Upvote 0

the_man

" My heart is spoken for&
Nov 21, 2002
Boulder CO
✟16,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
They are just words yes, but they both convey different meanings. Courting is not an issue; when we hear 'courting' we can all assume (safely) that marriage is being considered. Not that every couple that courts will be married, but there is a fairly serious consideration for such an outcome. Some people use dating in the same light. The issue with the word 'dating' is that it can range from "we went out for a movie last weekend" to "we are going to get married in 6 months". Rarely have I heard two people use the word dating to mean the same thing.

So to answer the OP's question, yes, there CAN be a difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

†§murf20†™

Jul 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟15,138.00
Faith
Non-Denom
YES. There is a huge difference. Dating is just going out with different people with no definite purpose. Courtship is when you directly approach and explore the possibility of marraige. Courtship deepens friendship between man and woman who are seeking the Lord for their mate. However courtship does not automatically mean your going to get married to that person. Like I said before you are just exploring the idea of it with that person.

I believe Christians should not date for the sake of it. That is the world's idea of the whole matter. Dating only arouses ones emotions and sensualities but has no definite purpose.

I suggest reading these two books by JOSHUA HARRIS:

1. I Kissed Dating Goodbye
2. Boy meets Girl : Say Hello to Courtship

Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
†§murf20†™ said:
YES. There is a huge difference. Dating is just going out with different people with no definite purpose. Courtship is when you directly approach and explore the possibility of marraige.
I would go further and say that courtship is not exploring marriage - Marriage IS THE GOAL when you are courting.

Courtship begins betweeen two people who are real good friends (but have not dated) - as friends they have gotten to know each other prety well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums