Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The meaning is "this generation" as is written in EVERY translation. You wish to change that definition, but the scholars who translated it that way, did so because that is the proper meaning in that context. You're arguing with all of the translators. What gives you so much expertise and authority? Your preconceived doctrine. It's certainly not sincere exegesis.

Yes, by you.

Yes, but it means "this race" - as in "the successive members of a genealogy."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think we live in heaven or in the winds?

The dead in Christ are in heaven now; the live in Christ are on earth now. Both will be united together when He returns. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 says, “I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”

• Agree
Reactions: David Kent
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Eventually"? Do you not believe God has already forgiven your sins? What was the Cross all about?

Do you know the point of beginning of Daniel's prophecy of the 70 weeks?
I said before that we need to ask for that forgiveness and believe then He will forgive our sins...

The cross symbolise the putting end to sin, meaning our old ways must die, and shedding of blood as means of atonement..etc

Daniel 9:25..
Artaxerxes decree 457bc

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look at this passage carefully - it says they saw Him "coming in a cloud with power and glory" - that refers to God's judgement (from other Scripture that I'll show you). It's not literal that that Jesus was seen riding a cloud. Substitute that phrase with "judging the nation" and see if it can change your perception:

And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory

And then they shall see the Son of Man judging the nation with power and great glory.
I cannot see this verse as not literal...and I don't believe Jesus is coming twice AD70 and the end, Scripture clearly states He comes back to take His people...

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you don't think Christ overcame sin, what do you think he was doing here?
Not Christ is His people..let me ask you do you still sin or not? Because I know I am...

1John3:9....No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because Gods seed remains in them, they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God...

Sin is still in us, but it power to make us continue sinning has broken by the work of Christ...so as long as we connected to Christ (Faith) we do not continue in our sins but we become cleanse and eventually completely free from sin...is a process..."sanctification "

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not so! Your whole doctrine is built upon the meaning of that one word. Refute that and your whole doctrine crumbles.

There are multiple posts on here that have been sidestepped and totally ignored. They have to be. For you to address them would expose the Preterist theory.
Great example of deflection.

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When and how did Jesus "send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and … gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" back in AD70 (Mat 24:31 and Mark 13:27)?

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have an amazing witness, Josephus. But the problem is Jesus didn't say he was coming in person at all. He said he would come in glory and power. And he did. And those who followed his warnings and instructions were saved from Jerusalem's great tribulation.

Nope. And Matthew 24 isn't talking about Jesus coming back in person on the last day.

Which is talking about the day of Judgement.

He's coming back. But he isn't coming back to earth. We meet him in the air.

When he comes back, the earth is going to burn up and saints and sinners will be judged. So fleeing to the hills above Judea would be a stupid thing to do.
Okay if Josephus is your witness of the coming of Christ in AD70, then could you quote his testimony?

Where in scripture Jesus said He's Not coming back in person?

If you dont believe Jesus is coming back to earth read Zachariah 14:4...of course the righteous will meet Him in the air then He will take them to the promise land...

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay if Josephus is your witness of the coming of Christ in AD70, then could you quote his testimony?

Amen! Josephus rejected Christ as being the Messiah.

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Is the second coming of Christ a past event, an ongoing process or a literal future physical climactic event?
  • Is the resurrection of the dead a past event, an ongoing process or a literal future physical climactic event?
  • Please list the Scriptures you believe support these?
  • Tell us exactly what all happens at this coming?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

I could but I'm mot going to.

If you dont believe Jesus is coming back to earth read Zachariah 14:4...of course the righteous will meet Him in the air then He will take them to the promise land...

You misunderstood me, though I am perplexed as to how. I didn't say he was never coming back in person. I said he never said he was coming in person in Matthew 24. He says they would see the sign of the Son of Man and that his coming would be in glory and power. He doesn't say he's coming is in person.

There are other places where he tells them he's coming back. He says that will be the last day.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not Christ is His people..let me ask you do you still sin or not? Because I know I am...

We have overcome sin also through his sacrifice.

1John3:9....No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because Gods seed remains in them, they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God...

That word 'cannot' means forbidden and conscious not to sin because they have committed themselves to refrain from sin.

Sin is still in us, but it power to make us continue sinning has broken by the work of Christ...so as long as we connected to Christ (Faith) we do not continue in our sins but we become cleanse and eventually completely free from sin...is a process..."sanctification "

Sin can only get in a person when he sins. It isn't some supernatural element that resides in a man against his will. Sin is disobedience. We do not and never had a 'sin nature.' That's yet another bogus doctrine introduced by Augustine 400 years after the Church began. Original sin is not taught in scripture.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, but it means "this race" - as in "the successive members of a genealogy."

No, as a matter of fact it does not. In fact, that word γενεα is not a single time translated 'race' though the word 'γενοσ' has been translated as race. They're not the same word.

Γενεα does not mean race. It isn't translated that way in the new testment. Anywhere. You are looking in a lexicon and taking a definition that doesn't apply to that verse (or any of them actually) and inserting it there. That's not proper exegesis. You're being dishonest. You can't accept what every translator put in that verse. In fact your view of that passage as talking about the last day was never taught until Scofield's commentary came out. He was in error and so are you.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Amen! Josephus rejected Christ as being the Messiah.
That may have caused him to be more of an unbiased historian. He had no agenda to prove Jesus right. Reporting facts should be just that - facts - what happened and when.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could but I'm mot going to.

You misunderstood me, though I am perplexed as to how. I didn't say he was never coming back in person. I said he never said he was coming in person in Matthew 24. He says they would see the sign of the Son of Man and that his coming would be in glory and power. He doesn't say he's coming is in person.

There are other places where he tells them he's coming back. He says that will be the last day.
You don't have to answer it if you're not willing....

Matthew 24:30..."Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they "see " the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory...

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That may have caused him to be more of an unbiased historian. He had no agenda to prove Jesus right. Reporting facts should be just that - facts - what happened and when.

When did he say that Jesus came back in AD70?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, as a matter of fact it does not. In fact, that word γενεα is not a single time translated 'race' though the word 'γενοσ' has been translated as race. They're not the same word.

Γενεα does not mean race. It isn't translated that way in the new testment. Anywhere. You are looking in a lexicon and taking a definition that doesn't apply to that verse (or any of them actually) and inserting it there. That's not proper exegesis. You're being dishonest. You can't accept what every translator put in that verse. In fact your view of that passage as talking about the last day was never taught until Scofield's commentary came out. He was in error and so are you.

When and how did Jesus "send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and … gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" back in AD70 (Mat 24:31 and Mark 13:27)?

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,916.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right. So 490 years - beginning in 457 BC would be......? How can that be something in our future?
490 years prophecy is divided into two blocks of years....(483yrs or 69 weeks ) Daniel 9:25...

Last 7yrs or 1 week. ...Daniel 9:27

Between those two blocks are the the church age to the Gentiles and we are in it now....

Upvote 0