Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,163.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's hard for me to take an article seriously when it continually talks about "altered states of conscience" when it is obvious that the author means "altered states of consciousness."

If he didn't get that small detail right, how are we supposed to respect the rest of what he says?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,163.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If an author doesn't know the difference between "conscience" and "consciousness" I think I am right to question his expertise, and to question the validity of his other statements.

I am more in tune with Anthony DeMello, SJ, Thomas Merton, and Basil Pennington on this one.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
B
rother Sculley explained that one of the main problems lies in the promotion of altered states of conscience. This, he noted, is a practice designed to lead people to experience a sense of oneness with the cosmos and the divine and to enable feelings of bliss. It brings with it, however, dangers ranging from mental illness to demonic influence.
Seriously ?

Mental illness ?

Who is this clown ?

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Brother Sculley explained that one of the main problems lies in the promotion of altered states of conscience. This, he noted, is a practice designed to lead people to experience a sense of oneness with the cosmos and the divine and to enable feelings of bliss. It brings with it, however, dangers ranging from mental illness to demonic influence.
Hmm, I've done Yoga exercise for over 25 years, I've yet to experience anything Brother Sculley states above.

Fact is, there is a separation between Yoga exercise and Yoga spirituality.

If you can't separate the two, stay away from it.

However, if you're just doing the exercise, there is nothing wrong with it.

Brother Sculley is apparently speaking about Catholics who lack faith in their own religion and seek spiritual fulfillment in the East and find Yoga Spirituality attractive.

However, this is painting with a broad brush for I know many Catholics, including priest and monks, who do Yoga exercise without problems to their faith and do not suffer from mental illness or demonic influences.

The article is well, hogwash!

Jim

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm. I studied Eastern religion for many years. Our most altered state of consciousness is sleep, which is necessary for the mind as well as body. I have also experienced waking altered states, but I believe those moments to be the Holy Spirit.

If you've read The Cloud of Unknowing, you know that there are forms of Christian meditation that puts one in a very passive state. I don't think there is anything dangerous in these kinds of states.

Some people are afraid that hypnotherapy opens the door to demonic suggestions, but it isn't true.

If a Catholic studies Eastern religion, my only suggestion is just to stay grounded in the Catholic faith.

The most altered state I experience is my everyday conscious awareness, which is actually where we encounter God, who is always here.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,163.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't you think that there are many Christian prayers that produce an altered state of consciousness?

That's what I love about litanies. The "pray for us" over and over and over and over--so comforting and beautiful.

I really think that the prayers of the rosary are like polysyllabic mantras. Very polysyllabic mantras.

Gregorian chant lowers the heartbeat, de-stresses the body--lots of people love it for health-related reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums