Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
I read Frank Schaeffer's Dancing Alone and liked it very much. I loaned it to a friend, however, and he has not returned it. I don't recall anti-Catholicism in it at all. It is pretty down on Protestantism, but certainly not any more than is warranted.

I do remember the anti-Catholicism in it. I think he was attacking the new mass with all the weird things going on in the 1960's and 1970's, especially in San Francisco and Los Angeles. At that time I agreed with him, but some of my Catholic friends were outraged at his generalizations, which are not correct.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
leeand00 said:
I've been reading "Forgotten Medicen: ??? Repentance" I'm almost done with it. Good stuff. It really makes sense, but following this is really difficult.

Can you share some passages from the book. Maybe if we all try to follow the road of repentance with you, it won't be so difficult.

Lovingly in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
chanter said:
I do remember the anti-Catholicism in it. I think he was attacking the new mass with all the weird things going on in the 1960's and 1970's, especially in San Francisco and Los Angeles. At that time I agreed with him, but some of my Catholic friends were outraged at his generalizations, which are not correct.
Well, I don't recall any anti-Catholicism, but it's been awhile since I read the book. I don't think criticizing the Novus Ordo Mass and some of the foolery of the '60s and '70s is anti-Catholic.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
Well, I don't recall any anti-Catholicism, but it's been awhile since I read the book. I don't think criticizing the Novus Ordo Mass and some of the foolery of the '60s and '70s is anti-Catholic.

I think nyj would disagree with you here, but I have to say that this book is a turn off for many Catholics and protestants. It's just not a good book to be passing around.

The best book is His Grace Bishop Kallistos (Timothy) Ware's small book "The Orthodox Church." When I read his book, I was a devout Catholic. After I read it I wanted to investigate the Orthodox Church -- the rest is history. If he had been anti-Catholic, I wouldn't have read it. I only skimmed Frank's book before deciding that it was too negative.

Have a Holy Christmas, Maximus, and thanks for introducing me to the Byzantine site. It's great. No trolls to disrupt things. I wish OBOB was like that site - plus it's moderated by a priest. I really like to read Archimandrite Gregory's posts -- they are so devout. Can't beat that.

Lovingly yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.