Ipswich Queensland, Australia
✟8,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Hi Godislove. I think every Christian struggles with study in some fashion. For me, there has always been those times when .....well, to be completely honest.....i just didn't want to. Yeah, I know......but the Lord is gracious and merciful and somehow, someway, for some reason, I'm right back at it with a fresh love. So let me encourage you to not give up. Just having that desire to read is the beginning of a most beautiful love affair. Ok, here's some things I do or have done in the past....perhaps one will help.

1)When I first got switched on to the Bible, I read the OT, starting at Genesis.....I read it like a story.....like a novel....so many wonderful twists and turns and the totally unexpected (here's a teaser for you- find the bit about the talking donkey who ran his rider into a wall). And in the very beginning, I was very guilty of skipping over the bits that I just "didn't get".....like the gazillion laws or how and who and what materials went into building the tabernacle. But now I love reading those bits, too.

2) To this day, when I find reading more a chore than a joy......I return to Psalms. Just something about that book that seems to restore me. It's a book that so describes humanity and so describes God. It never ever fails to feed me.

3) Sometimes, I will pick a word at random. Any ol' word will do. And I sit down with a good concordance, my Bible and begin looking up scriptures with whatever word is the flavor of the moment. I would advise you to not just read the single scripture with whatever word you're using, but also, go back a bit and read past it a bit. Get the full sandwich and not just the piece of ham in the middle.

4) Sometimes, something said from a sermon or bible study will pique my interest and I begin a study of subject material. One of my best study tools is "Collins Thematic Thesaurus of The Bible." It's divided by subject matter.

5) My husband's favorite way to end a reading dry spell is to randomly open up to any page, slap his finger down and begin at that point......which usually means he gets lead all over the place by the end. LOL

6) If you have any knowledge about certain portions of the Bible.....for instance, Jesus feeding the multitudes......and it's a bit that always makes your heart leap.....return to it again and again and again. The words on the page may always remain the same but your gained insight will flourish.

7) During prayer time, honest heart time with the Lord.......ask him what to read. I can reliably attest that he does answer this prayer.

Well, I hope this has helped or given you some ideas of your own. Please keep us advised? I do so love to see people passionately in love with God and his word.

Reactions: James Is Back
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Godislove94 said:
Lately I've recommitted myself to try and read at least one chapter out of scripture everyday, but the problem is whenever I sit down, I can't figure out what to read because there is so much to pick from...what are some ways to approach this?
I can think of three 'plans' from the top of my head.

1. Start at the beginning. As Kazza mentioned, some of the passages in Leviticus and Numbers get a bit tedious. However, by reading front to back one reads it all, and for sure.

2. Chronologically. That is, in historical sequence. This will require some looking and checking, but I believe the internet has some sites that give a more or less agreed to chronology of the Bible. This may assist in getting a better picture of how things 'moved' historically.

For instance, the book of Esther dates from the later Babylonian Captivity period - after Babylon was conquered by the Medo-Persian Empire. Nehemiah and Ezra both occur after the Medo-Persian conquest of Babylon. However, all three are listed in the Western Bible just after the settling of Canaan.

Most of the letters of Paul in the New Testament were written during the rather long period of time covered in 'Acts'.

3. 'Daily Bible Readings'. Many sources have an organized system of reading the Bible on a daily basis along with some commentary about specific passages. Many are free. Probably on line these days.

Godislove94 said:
I want to be able to learn something or hear God speak to me when I read...
94, let me give you a bit of advice: Don't sweat the small stuff! As a believer, you are to be open to God's voice in your life. You do not have to search it out and find it; God will find you!

There will be times when you realize the Spirit is telling you to read 'thus and so'. Most of the times in my life I would read my self-assigned portion for the day and then think, "Did I need THIS today!" Like it was some 'accident' or dumb blind luck.

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As people have said start from the OT-NT. Now some might suggest starting out with the NT but that IMHO(and I could be wrong)is like reading a book in the middle. You want to learn the whole Bible by starting with the origins of the heavens,earth and humans and go from there to Revelations.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Lately I've recommitted myself to try and read at least one chapter out of scripture everyday, but the problem is whenever I sit down, I can't figure out what to read because there is so much to pick from. I want to be able to learn something or hear God speak to me when I read....what are some ways to approach this?

I hope you hang in there, and even if you've skipped some days (we all do) keep on keepin' on...just pick up where you left off...another thing i do, is read whichever chapter of Proverbs corresponds with that day of the month...for instance, for today, it's Proverbs 13, so i reads Proverbs 13.

Regardless of how it unfolds for you, keep on keepin' on, sister in Christ and beloved daughter of the Most High God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Lately I've recommitted myself to try and read at least one chapter out of scripture everyday, but the problem is whenever I sit down, I can't figure out what to read because there is so much to pick from. I want to be able to learn something or hear God speak to me when I read....what are some ways to approach this?
I would encourage you to start out reading a chapter from Proverbs every day to start out.

We need that wisdom from God to stand against the world's ways. Try that for a month.

Upvote 0
M

Mamatoonegirl

I conduct a daily Bible study for me and my daughter. We'll read a daily Bible verse from Jesus Calling Kids and verseoftheday.com. From there, we take our bible and read the whole chapter(s) in the Bible from those verses. We'll sing songs of praise and conduct a few craft activities or games around God and Jesus.

Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 18:3

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I conduct a daily Bible study for me and my daughter. We'll read a daily Bible verse from Jesus Calling Kids and verseoftheday.com. From there, we take our bible and read the whole chapter(s) in the Bible from those verses. We'll sing songs of praise and conduct a few craft activities or games around God and Jesus.

Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 18:3

That's so sweet :thumbsup: :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,062,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As people have said start from the OT-NT. Now some might suggest starting out with the NT but that IMHO(and I could be wrong)is like reading a book in the middle. You want to learn the whole Bible by starting with the origins of the heavens,earth and humans and go from there to Revelations.

Personally, I'd say start with the NT, because it's all about Jesus. Learn who Jesus is, make sure you really know, believe and "get" the Gospel; read, study and meditate until you are certain of, and totally bowled over by, God's love for you. Then you will want to find out how Jesus' coming was prophesied in the OT, and be able to look back and deal with some of the trickier questions in that part of the Bible.

Otherwise you may find you get distracted by creation/evolution issues in Genesis, get stuck in Leviticus and become discouraged by some of the accounts of sin, war and so on.

Just my opinion, of course. You may find that doesn't happen at all and you are able to start at the beginning and persevere.

But I think the OT makes more sense when you know the New.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I would encourage you to start out reading a chapter from Proverbs every day to start out.

We need that wisdom from God to stand against the world's ways. Try that for a month.

I agree. It's how i started consistently reading the Bible and it has been a treasure to me. I would read a chapter of Proverbs a day, corresponding to that day of the month...for instance for the 1st day of the month i would read Proverbs 1, etc.

It has blessed me HUGELY.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Personally, I'd say start with the NT, because it's all about Jesus. Learn who Jesus is, make sure you really know, believe and "get" the Gospel; read, study and meditate until you are certain of, and totally bowled over by, God's love for you. Then you will want to find out how Jesus' coming was prophesied in the OT, and be able to look back and deal with some of the trickier questions in that part of the Bible.

Otherwise you may find you get distracted by creation/evolution issues in Genesis, get stuck in Leviticus and become discouraged by some of the accounts of sin, war and so on.

Just my opinion, of course. You may find that doesn't happen at all and you are able to start at the beginning and persevere.

But I think the OT makes more sense when you know the New.

You certainly have a point. I'm that type of person though that starts from the beginning and goes to the end but that's just me.

I think both are feasible and it really is up to the individual where he wants to start. To me NT then OT or OT then NT whichever one picks than go for it.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,062,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You certainly have a point. I'm that type of person though that starts from the beginning and goes to the end but that's just me.

I think both are feasible and it really is up to the individual where he wants to start. To me NT then OT or OT then NT whichever one picks than go for it.

That's fine - it's all good. :) :thumbsup:

I tried to read the Bible from the beginning when I was a teenager, and did get stuck in Leviticus. But now, I think Leviticus is rather awesome - very bloody, but still far more interesting than I first thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 14, 2014
Portugal
✟17,323.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's fine - it's all good. :) :thumbsup:

I tried to read the Bible from the beginning when I was a teenager, and did get stuck in Leviticus. But now, I think Leviticus is rather awesome - very bloody, but still far more interesting than I first thought.

I did this when I was a teen as well and read the Bible until the end. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2014
Portugal
✟17,323.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You haz my respect, YoureMyBeloved...i've NEVER EVER been able to do that.....it is only now that i started reading the Bible from the beginning, a chapter a day, since February.

God bless you.

Thanks. :) I was 13/14 when I thought about reading all the Bible.

Now I usually open the Bible randomly (I think it's the correct word) and read the pages in which it opened. There were times many of the verses aren't coincidence...

God Bless you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. :) I was 13/14 when I thought about reading all the Bible.

Now I usually open the Bible randomly (I think it's the correct word) and read the pages in which it opened. There were times many of the verses aren't coincidence...

God Bless you.
Perseverance in reading God's Word day by day is excellent.

Upvote 0