Sep 17, 2005
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Visit site
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know that it's against God. It's simply a different take on the life of Jesus, based on very shoddy "evidence". It didn't shake my faith in the least. It's an interesting theory, but not one that I take seriously.

I didn't mind Dan Brown's writing style in The Da Vinci Code, but by the time I got to Angels and Demons (I read them out of order), Robert Langdon's knowing smiles, and condescending explanations for everything were really annoying me. Did this bother anyone else?

Kristy

Upvote 0

Tricia4Jesus

when you wish upon a star...
Oct 31, 2005
Southern California
✟14,858.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
KristyAnne said:
I don't know that it's against God. It's simply a different take on the life of Jesus, based on very shoddy "evidence". It didn't shake my faith in the least. It's an interesting theory, but not one that I take seriously.

I didn't mind Dan Brown's writing style in The Da Vinci Code, but by the time I got to Angels and Demons (I read them out of order), Robert Langdon's knowing smiles, and condescending explanations for everything were really annoying me. Did this bother anyone else?

Kristy

I agree, I am currently reading DaVinci Code and can't seem to put it down, just got to the part that where they claim Mary Magdelene and Christ were married. It wouldn't be a good book for someone new in the faith, but for someone who like me who has walked with the Lord for a while, it hasn't fazed me. I am not buying into it all. I know the truth because it lives in me.

And I downloaded Angels and Demons, am looking forward to that one also. And yes, I am reading them out of order. Someone suggested I read it, in order to shed some light on the "code".

Upvote 0

wiggsfly

Walking the tightrope of life
Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe it should be taken for exactly what it is. Fiction. Mr. Brown never released it as a history book, but as a story to entertain. While it might be true that there is 10% truth to any story, if you follow the media on this book you would think it's 100% true. They've taken an entertaining piece of literature way to seriously....

Upvote 0

Tricia4Jesus

Oct 31, 2005
Southern California
✟14,858.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
wiggsfly said:
I believe it should be taken for exactly what it is. Fiction. Mr. Brown never released it as a history book, but as a story to entertain. While it might be true that there is 10% truth to any story, if you follow the media on this book you would think it's 100% true. They've taken an entertaining piece of literature way to seriously....

I agree.

Upvote 0
S

simpletrust

I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to sometime. I want to see what is so great about it. I'm sick of all the allegedly open minded atheists using it as "evidence" that Christianity is based on a lie. I don't know where they got that from. I'm going to have to read it to know what they're talking about, but I doubt it will have any affect on me whatsoever :p

Upvote 0

Tricia4Jesus

Oct 31, 2005
Southern California
✟14,858.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
simpletrust said:
I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to sometime. I want to see what is so great about it. I'm sick of all the allegedly open minded atheists using it as "evidence" that Christianity is based on a lie. I don't know where they got that from. I'm going to have to read it to know what they're talking about, but I doubt it will have any affect on me whatsoever :p

You'll enjoy it when you do. And you will be totally able to see their point of view. But to me its a bunch of mumbo jumbo because I know the truth. The fact is. It's fiction, take it as that and enjoy it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rorschach

May 2, 2004
Michigan
✟15,851.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't read it but I might check it out. I'm not against the book either, but what I am against is people taking it as fact. Didn't the author even state in the beginning that the book was just fiction based on a theory? Yet people took it to heart and tried to tear apart Christianity.

That's the only thing I didn't like. I just hope the movie doesn't revive all the hype.

Upvote 0

Trillian

The glue that holds it all together.
Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rorschach said:
I haven't read it but I might check it out. I'm not against the book either, but what I am against is people taking it as fact. Didn't the author even state in the beginning that the book was just fiction based on a theory? Yet people took it to heart and tried to tear apart Christianity.

That's the only thing I didn't like. I just hope the movie doesn't revive all the hype.

I believe that what he actually said is that groups in the book are real. What I find so interesting is that the theories of Jesus and Mary Magdeline have been around forever, but everyone flipped over this book. Crazy!

Tril

Upvote 0

type082

May 14, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟7,691.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm currently listening to the audio book. I'm at the part where the two go to the rich guy's castle estate and discuss.

It is quite depressing how atheists are so quick to dismiss the Bible, yet once this book came along, it was like their trump card to knock Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tricia4Jesus

Oct 31, 2005
Southern California
✟14,858.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Nienor said:
Paul Bettany is going to be in the movie, that's exciting, I heart him as an actor. Ian McKellan too. So they have a good line up for the cast...

I saw the movie on the TIME magazine cover. Looks interesting. I love Paul Bettany, and Tom Hanks. Supposedly the movie trailer is great. Don't know if I will see it. I like reading the books instead. Usually TPTB tend to mess things up.

Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Tricia4Jesus said:
I saw the movie on the TIME magazine cover. Looks interesting. I love Paul Bettany, and Tom Hanks. Supposedly the movie trailer is great. Don't know if I will see it. I like reading the books instead. Usually TPTB tend to mess things up.
I don't like Hanks as much as Bettany or McKellan :p

Upvote 0

Trillian

The glue that holds it all together.
Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
type082 said:
I'm currently listening to the audio book. I'm at the part where the two go to the rich guy's castle estate and discuss.

It is quite depressing how atheists are so quick to dismiss the Bible, yet once this book came along, it was like their trump card to knock Christianity.

Interesting that you would say that. The only people I ever heard even mention this book as anything other than pure fiction are Christians. Most atheists that I've spoken to on the subject think that Christians are making way too big of a deal over it... a few of the more educated ones, of which I am not, don't even think it was a good book. Honestly, I never would have heard of it had it not been for the fuss made by Christians.

Tril

Upvote 0