Tel Aviv
✟21,518.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Have you seen, or do you do, any customs which you think would be worthwhile for other Christians to emulate?

Here are some I know:
  1. Whenever God does something to give thanks for in your family's life, write it down on a piece of paper, and put it in a bowl. Every now and then when you're feeling down, fish out a paper or two from the bowl, and be reminded how God was faithful.
  2. Read a Proverb every night before going to bed, corresponding to the day of the month.
  3. A tradition in especially religious Jewish families: the father blesses his children in order of descending age on Shabbat evening, and then serenades his wife with Proverbs 31 "A woman of valor"

levnishbar

Aug 10, 2022
Tel Aviv
✟21,518.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I prostrate when praying. It's a custom evidently so foreign to most Christians I've come across, it may as well be passed off as appropriated from another religion altogether.

Nice, the word bless (Baruch ברוך) and knee (ברך) have the same word root. I like to think of it that we are blessed when we kneel before God in prayer and supplication. But I've never prayed that way before, I'll try it.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Crossing myself, venerating icons, prostrations, blessing myself with holy water, drinking holy water and eating antidoron (blessed bread), fasting on Wednesdays, Fridays, and during Lent and other designated times during the year, having a specific prayer rule, lighting candles, using incense, praying akathists and novenas, and praying the psalter (very specific way to do it in the East with the kathismas and prayers in between), making and eating koliva (for memorials), and certain foods for certain occasions, blessings of different things on different significant days on the Church calendar, et cetera. Doing these things makes one turn their mind to God and His saints throughout the yearly Church Calendar.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I prostrate when praying. It's a custom evidently so foreign to most Christians I've come across, it may as well be passed off as appropriated from another religion altogether.
Ah- well- most Christians in the world do it outside of the Protestant bubble- and always have.

Upvote 0