WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Launched in 2011, the Curiosity Mars rover has been on the surface of Mars for 4000 Martian days as of November 6th, 2012 (sols, as described by astronomers). The rover is powered by a radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG), which uses the heat generated from the decay of radioactive Pu metal to generate electricity for science instruments, cameras, computer circuitry and power the rover's six wheels. The RTG has a minimum guaranteed lifespan of 14 years, so we should expect the rover to continue operating well throughout this decade. So far, the rover has driven 20 miles (32 km) on the cold Martian surface. The rover's wheels show some damage from rocks, but a traction control algorithm was uploaded to the computer onboard the rover.

Rover Diagram
1699815038067.png

Curiosity Rover by the numbers:
  • The rover has the equivalent electrical power to light up a dozen 9-watt LED bulbs, for a total power of 110 watts.
  • Curiosity has a top speed of a little under 0.1 mph (0.16 km/h) on flat, smooth ground.
  • Curiosity weighs 743 lbs on Mars due to reduced gravity. On Earth, Curiosity would weigh 1,982 lbs (899 kg), the weight of a small car.
  • The rover is about the same size as a crossover SUV, with a length of 10 feet (3 m), height of 7 ft (2 m) and width of 9 ft (2.7 m).

Source 1 - Curiosity rover at 4000 days old: NASA's Curiosity Rover Clocks 4,000 Days on Mars – NASA Mars Exploration
Source 2a - Rover wattage: Curiosity Rover Features Unique Hybrid Power System - News
Source 2b - 800 lumen, 9-watt LED bulb wattage: Choosing the Right Bulb | Smarter House
Source 3 - Speed: Top speed on Mars: 0.1 mph
Source 4 - Curiosity weight & size: Summary | Rover – NASA Mars Exploration

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's so great. I hope we never stop sending these Mars rovers. If there's one thing I can't get enough of, it's photos of red dirt.
Same here, and beautiful craters. :) One of these days, it would be cool to send a manned Mars mission and back. NASA might have the tech to do this by the late 2030s.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's so great. I hope we never stop sending these Mars rovers. If there's one thing I can't get enough of, it's photos of red dirt.
And rocks. And hills, valleys, old worn crater rims, and then there's the higher up photos of ancient river flow features. It's fun stuff.
Would definitely never want to live there. Elon M. is nuts about that part.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Same here, and beautiful craters. :) One of these days, it would be cool to send a manned Mars mission and back. NASA might have the tech to do this by the late 2030s.
To me, that'd be more like being on the space station or a moon base, or maybe harder actually. It's not just the dust storms, which are going to be a challenge for any longer term stay past a few days or weeks, but also the radiation.

For a really long term stay, I'd not want to live there even with a lot of support. Mars has little magnetic field and little atmosphere, so that means radiation.... So, you'd really pretty much have to stay indoors or underground most of the time, and how is that better than doing the same on Earth? But on Earth you are a lot safer for resupply and spending time outdoors without checking the space weather (forecast of solar radiation/storms).

But worse in a way (at least in the back of your mind) is the constant flux of cosmic rays long term. That's the rub with living there permanently, in my view. It's like living near Chernobyl in the exclusion zone, not a worst hot spot, but still...you know it's best if you are already old.

1705001936704.png

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And rocks. And hills, valleys, old worn crater rims, and then there's the higher up photos of ancient river flow features. It's fun stuff.
Would definitely never want to live there. Elon M. is nuts about that part.
We've got all that stuff on Earth. My sarcastic post was based on an old Onion article, which I can't post but will link because it contains profanity.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We've got all that stuff on Earth. My sarcastic post was based on an old Onion article, which I can't post but will link because it contains profanity.

PASADENA, CA—NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory scientists overseeing the ongoing Mars Exploration Rover Mission said Monday that the Spirit's latest transmissions could indicate a growing resentment of the Red Planet.

lol..... ^_^

Mission Project Scientist Bruce Banerdt said that Spirit will often roll down Gusev crater and up the opposite side for no apparent reason, missing "countless" potential opportunities....

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To me, that'd be more like being on the space station or a moon base, or maybe harder actually. It's not just the dust storms, which are going to be a challenge for any longer term stay past a few days or weeks, but also the radiation.

For a really long term stay, I'd not want to live there even with a lot of support. Mars has little magnetic field and little atmosphere, so that means radiation.... So, you'd really pretty much have to stay indoors or underground most of the time, and how is that better than doing the same on Earth? But on Earth you are a lot safer for resupply and spending time outdoors without checking the space weather (forecast of solar radiation/storms).

But worse in a way (at least in the back of your mind) is the constant flux of cosmic rays long term. That's the rub with living there permanently, in my view. It's like living near Chernobyl in the exclusion zone, not a worst hot spot, but still...you know it's best if you are already old.

View attachment 341231
I would not want to live on Mars either, but it would be cool to say we have sent humans to Mars and back. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now we're working on a mission to bring some of those samples back to study. There are some real, relevant educational opportunities there. Launch 2027, samples back around 2033. That's about the year I'll be retiring, hopefully it will stay on schedule. There is a lot of turmoil with the budget and schedule right now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Chesterton, That's so great. I hope we never stop sending these Mars rovers. If there's one thing I can't get enough of, it's photos of red dirt.

Ok, Curiosity did take a few that show other than red dirt. I take it this is stuff left by the Watchers / Benai Elohim of Genesis 6:1-4 and Book of Enoch, also the Sumerian texts:

This door is 12 X 16". A ventilation shaft? "Little People?"
627c0f2683d85a5ec25239fe

Thigh bone? Broken turquoise shards of??

140825-thigh.jpg

One more: A shifter for a 3 speed? LoL. Part of a weapon, musical instrument? Anyways, thought I'd give ya more than red dirt.

mars-shiny-closeup.jpg

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That object with the pipes, right angled. Not a natural formation.
Well there's these people called atheists that believe highly complex multicellular organisms like you and I are natural formations, so to them I think a naturally occurring right angle here or there would be utterly unremarkable.

Upvote 0