Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by flipside?

Penal Substitution is strange to me, to put it mildly. Working off of the criminal law symbolism, it seems like the offender is let off and then... that's it. Being acquitted doesn't necessarily imply an improvement in the criminal's situation--without additional help, they may well just reoffend. The whole doctrine seems to miss the mark on what is meant by redemption entirely, so I'm not sure how it can survive except in conjunction with additional theories.
To interject, I am quite partial to Scapegoat Atonement, which perhaps alleviates some of the poenal substitution objections. In a nutshell, Christ acts as the Scapegoat in the day of Atonement, or as the Pharmakos did in ancient Greece. This is a ritualistic bearer of all our evils, our vain desire for the possessions of others, to thus remove human hatred to each other, by uniting the community against another as representative thereof. A safety valve for man's inhumanity to man.
Christ thus gets punished for our failures and to thus defuse our need to blame or hate each other; as He is sinless yet cursed, and suffering for it. He perhaps exposes how sinful we really are, and the inherent failure of our own internal drives, as this is the consequence. Helping us to start the process of denying our own flawed conceptions of the Self, and helping us forgive our own hatreds to ourselves and others by looking upon the inherent end it brings to the innocent. It is punishment for our sins, but by us and for us delivered.
It reminds me of the depiction of Jesus in Shusako Endo's Silence, where Jesus says He is here for our pain, He understands it, and thus brings us mercy from it. I think it underutilised. I think most systems of atonement can be understood to be operative concurrently though, if any of them are right.

Here is a basic article on it:
A Better Atonement: The Last Scapegoat

Last edited:
Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To interject, I am quite partial to Scapegoat Atonement, which perhaps alleviates some of the poenal substitution objections. In a nutshell, Christ acts as the Scapegoat in the day of Atonement, or as the Pharmakos did in ancient Greece. This is a ritualistic bearer of all our evils, our vain desire for the possessions of others, to thus remove human hatred to each other, by uniting the community against another as representative thereof. A safety valve for man's inhumanity to man.
Christ thus gets punished for our failures and to thus defuse our need to blame or hate each other; as He is sinless yet cursed, and suffering for it. He perhaps exposes how sinful we really are, and the inherent failure of our own internal drives, as this is the consequence. Helping us to start the process of denying our own flawed conceptions of the Self, and helping us forgive our own hatreds to ourselves and others by looking upon the inherent end it brings to the innocent. It is punishment for our sins, but by us and for us delivered.
It reminds me of the depiction of Jesus in Shusako Endo's Silence, where Jesus says He is here for our pain, He understands it, and thus brings us mercy from it. I think it underutilised. I think most systems of atonement can be understood to be operative concurrently though, if any of them are right.

Here is a basic article on it:
A Better Atonement: The Last Scapegoat

I'd been wondering precisely which theory you subscribed to!

Yeah, I have no problems with that particular approach. It seems to be closer to the original Jewish understanding of ritual sacrifice, so I don't have to hiss "anachronism, anachronism" at it, like I do with Satisfaction and its medieval connotations. ^_^

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
ok. Here's another attempt:

Thanks!

All human sin is sacrilege against an eternal, holy, and loving God and requires the just destruction of the offenders.

Why?

Because sin also makes human beings unholy before God, only God can satisfy the just demands that His Eternal, Holy, and Loving nature requires.

Why?

Because God is loving, He must at some point satisfy the said demands of His justice on behalf of human beings.

Again, why? Love and justice are not relevant to one another.

Therefore, if His justice is to be satisfied on behalf of sinful human beings, God MUST satisfy the demands of said justice.

If I pretend that your theological terms are well-defined, and if I ignore the fact that every premise up to this point contains a non sequitur, we're still left with a logical syllogism that is contradicted by Christianity.

By your reasoning, God must destroy himself to satisfy his justice. God did not destroy himself, nor did he destroy Jesus.

So, obviously, such a theological set-up would preclude forgiveness by 'fiat.'

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Yes, and it would necessitate God's destruction.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I rejected Western Christianity a long time ago and then got hit by the truck that is Eastern Orthodoxy, so my understanding of the Atonement is based on the Ransom Theory and Christus Victor doctrines rather than in Penal Substitution or even Satisfaction. I'm particularly interested in the cosmic implications of a passage like Romans 8:18-22:

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed to us. For the creation is eagerly awaiting the revelation of God’s children, because the creation has become subject to futility, though not by anything it did. The one who subjected it did so in the certainty that the creation itself would also be set free from corrupting bondage in order to share the glorious freedom of God’s children. For we know that all the rest of creation has been groaning with the pains of childbirth up to the present time."

I specifically questioned my (Episcopal) priest about the implications of evolution on Christian doctrine, and he handed me a very interesting paper by the Catholic theologian John Haught. Building on the work of theologians like Teilhard de Chardin, who tackled the Problem of Evil in the evolutionary context, Haught says:

"An evolutionary theology, I would suggest, must picture God's descent as entering into the deepest layers of the evolutionary process, embracing and suffering along with the entire cosmic story, not just with the recent human chapters. The Spirit of God stretches the divine compassion out across the totality of time and creation, enfolding and healing not only human struggles and suffering but also the epochs of evolutionary travail that preceded our emergence. In spite of its endless diversity, there is a fundamental unity to the life process; and all of life is linked, throughout its evolution, to the eternal ground that we may call Life-itself."

It's really the only context in which the sacrificial aspect of Christianity really makes sense to me, because it's hard to look at the way life has evolved on this planet and not see how deeply imbedded in it the reality of sacrifice is. If this is not the way things are supposed to be, it's a wound that goes much deeper than human nature itself, so perhaps it is something that would need to be assumed in full in order to be healed.

Is it necessary? On God's end, probably not, but from our perspective, absolutely. I mean, who's a better friend: the one who only offers platitudes and is nowhere to be found or the one who'll go above and beyond to help you out? If Christianity is true, I think that the forgiveness of sins is likely the subjective side of a much more comprehensive rescue plan in action, and I find someone like Abelard helpful for explaining just how this could function:

"It, however, seems to us that we have been justified in Christ's blood and reconciled with God in this: God has bound us more to God through love by this unique grace held out to us – that God's own Son has taken on our nature and in that nature persisted unto death in instructing us through word as well as example – so that the true love of anyone kindled by so great a gift of divine grace would no longer shrink from enduring anything for the sake of God."

So for a couple of alternatives to Penal Substitution, we've got here a modern evolutionary spin on Christus Victor and a medieval take on Moral Exemplar. I'm sure you will hate them, but hey, hopefully someone will find them of interest.

Your views sound similar to those of ViaCrucis. He also participated in this thread. Would you care to evaluate his syllogism and modify it?

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I've read it and have previously engaged in discussion on this thread. I'm well aware of what you're asking for and I provided it.

Here again: Forgiveness is only possible when a wrong act has been committed against the one who forgives. Therefore, wrongly crucifying the innocent Son of God can be forgiven by God if it is His will to forgive. This clearly shows that crucifixion and forgiveness is not a non sequitur.

I'm saying that the crucifixion and the *forgiveness of all sins of mankind* is a non sequitur, not the crucifixion and the *forgiveness of the crucifixion itself.*

Either you did not read the OP, or I wasn't clear in what I said, or you are playing games with me. In case I wasn't clear in what I said, I am being clear now so please stop pressing this irrelevant issue.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If someone is seeking to clarify the form, since it is poorly worded or consequently misrepresents, it is perfectly reasonable to send a letter to the framers or organisation thereof, requesting clarification and explaining the difficulties of the form.

Don't be ridiculous. Nothing is poorly worded or misrepresented in the OP.

What put us here was your refusal to read what I wrote and then claiming on another thread that I was unable to answer you on this one.

And what put us there was your insistence upon mental gymnastics to the point that I was exasperated with you. I tried to find the conversation where you showed that you are totally unreasonable, but I couldn't find the conversation, so I will capitulate and read your first post here and respond when I have time.

As far as I am concerned, everything I said here was relevant, but you chose to ignore it for whatever reason. I merely excused myself, once I realised that you have no intention of granting me the basic courtesy of reading what I wrote. How can you determine the relevance if you don't even read it?

I'll read it.

You can ignore it, but then I can excuse myself as well, as my efforts are then for naught. This does not mean that you weren't answered. The problem is that the way you are framing the discussion and interpreting syllogistics, is flawed - this is what I tried to point out, to no avail.

If your first post does not explain in excruciating detail why the core idea of Christianity is exempt from syllogistic encapsulation, then what?

Read post 118 again. Therein I said:
"I would say sin is that which brings division between man and God and harms loving your neighbour as yourself, the latter merely being an aspect of the former definition."

So yes, I did offer a definition of sin that you blithely ignored, not even bothering to read the very post from which you culled my admission that I initially did not do so.

I'll look again later.

You didn't tidy it up. You butchered it. I wrore a Sorites. Removing those propositions make it no longer one.
ALL the syllogisms offered in this entire thread require long paragraphs, as you are being abtuse in your interpretation of the nature of syllogistic logic. The latter was one of my points, which is why your responses in this thread is so seriously flawed. Either read my posts, or cease wasting my time. I am sure you would not like it if someone ignored your posts and replies, and then proceeded to pretend your points were unanswered elsewhere, so I fail to see why you think it fair to hold such double standards.

I'll read your posts, but if they don't say what you say they do then we're done for good.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Don't be ridiculous. Nothing is poorly worded or misrepresented in the OP.
I wasn't speaking of the OP, but your application thereof to others' posts later which is flawed.

And what put us there was your insistence upon mental gymnastics to the point that I was exasperated with you. I tried to find the conversation where you showed that you are totally unreasonable, but I couldn't find the conversation, so I will capitulate and read your first post here and respond when I have time.

I'll read it.

If your first post does not explain in excruciating detail why the core idea of Christianity is exempt from syllogistic encapsulation, then what?

I'll look again later.

I'll read your posts, but if they don't say what you say they do then we're done for good.
Thank you for taking the time to actually read it. You are already making an error here though. It is not that it is exempt from "syllogistic encapsulation", but that you insist on apodicticity thereof, which is unreasonable. So before you crow that it "doesn't say what I say", please make sure what I am actually saying, for already you have drawn a conclusion here at odds with my whole point.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks!

Why?

Why?

Again, why? Love and justice are not relevant to one another.

If I pretend that your theological terms are well-defined, and if I ignore the fact that every premise up to this point contains a non sequitur, we're still left with a logical syllogism that is contradicted by Christianity.

By your reasoning, God must destroy himself to satisfy his justice. God did not destroy himself, nor did he destroy Jesus.

Yes, and it would necessitate God's destruction.

Ok. Let's try this another way, shall we? And you'll love this one--it's will wisk away all democratic sensibilities and assumptions. So, get your 'whys' ready for disbursement, NV! Here goes:

1. According to our Tri-une God, only the blood from designated holy sacrifices can cover the human guilt of sins committed against Him.

2. Jesus, the Son of God, is the only perfect and final holy designated sacrifice in existence.

So, am I making progress? Maybe? Maybe just a little? :rolleyes:

Yeah!!! That's how I feel about it!

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't speaking of the OP, but your application thereof to others' posts later which is flawed.

OK. Pretty vague.

Thank you for taking the time to actually read it. You are already making an error here though. It is not that it is exempt from "syllogistic encapsulation", but that you insist on apodicticity thereof, which is unreasonable. So before you crow that it "doesn't say what I say", please make sure what I am actually saying, for already you have drawn a conclusion here at odds with my whole point.

You think it's unreasonable. I don't. I'm allowing you to make nearly any theological assumption you could possibly need. In return you give nothing - stating that the requirement for a syllogism and clearly defined terms is unreasonable.

So forget meeting you halfway - I'm coming to your doorstep and that's still not good enough for you.

Now, there has also been some grumbling about the latter half of post 118, so let's take a look:

No, you said sin needed to be defined if it is to be assumed. I did read the OP long ago, so I did not define sin, it is true, but you are again asking in the OP for an unreasonable level of clarification when already excluding one of the most basic definitions.

I'm not sure which basic definition I'm excluding. Actually, I prefer that your definitions are basic - so long as they are consistent and non circular.

You did not ask for all terms to be defined, because then we need to exactly define God, Crucifixion, Forgiveness, etc.

In reading the OP, it is reasonable to infer that I don't require a definition for any of those terms. Crucifixion and forgiveness are not theological terms. God is, obviously, but I have a pretty good idea what that word means. It's true that I should have stated in the OP that I need theological terms to be defined - such as holiness - but that notion was formulated in discussion. I cannot allow, for example, participants to define sin as "an unholy action" and holy as "sinless."

You would not even be able to show any syllogism of any scientific belief whatsoever on those terms, so that is thoroughly disingenious to expect it here.

Really? To be clear, are you saying that if you challenged me to prove any arbitrary scientific notion, and you allowed me to make any scientific assumption according to my whim so long as I define my terms, then I will always fail? Is that really what you're saying? I just want to make sure before responding, because as I read it your claim here is outrageous.

In my syllogism, it is irrelevant how sin is defined for it to remain a logical sequence, though. I would say sin is that which brings division between man and God and harms loving your neighbour as yourself, the latter merely being an aspect of the former definition.

This thread is about the exploration of crucifixion and the forgiveness of sin. If I have no idea what sin is, it's going to be a nonsensical discussion. If it's left undefined, I see no reason why God cannot forgive all sin as an act of will. Christian theology, as I understand it, attests that the fundamental nature of sin and God's holiness do not allow for God to forgive sin as an act of will. I'm trying to formalize this concept, and formalization requires definitions.

And now for your first post:

@Nihilist Virus

You seem to try and exploit the difficulties inherent in classification and definition. You say you know what a Toad is, but do you really?
Toad is a popular classification of certain frogs, esspecially of Bufonidae, but there is no such group in scientific nomenclature. One group's toad is another's frog and people differ on whether size or leathery skin or shorter legs or what have you, is required. It is polythetic, but such classifications are nested in one another and often fuzzy borders, like classifying monotremes as mammals as another example.

OK. Maybe I should've used a square instead of a frog as a comparison.

There are popular concepts of Holy and Sin, there are technical ones. These overlap but aren't the same. Often the technical ones differ markedly. It is like animal classification, for before Linnaeus, Aristotle classified Cetaceans separate from mammals and most segmented groups together. Now with cladistics, we rewrite our taxonomy once again. Why do you expect such precision from Religion when the most basic of the sciences cannot even deliver it, even more so with popular uses of terms?

The various disciplines of science were painstakingly cobbled together and built upon over generations without any help from a deity. Religious principles, conversely, were personally dispensed by God. If confusion arises, that's a problem. If my feet are held over the fire because of this idea of sin, and God won't even tell me what sin actually is, then I have to think of him as a trickster God.

Ludwig Wittgenstein adressed this in his language theory, which simplistically is often put as "meaning is use".

I reject this. Parallel lines are not defined as lines which do not cross; that notion is simply taken as an axiom. However, in common usage, parallel lines are defined as lines which do not cross.

A definition does not alter meaning: it is deductively derived therefrom and creates a new abstract concept of the 'definition of X'.

It looks like you're trying to say that a definition is an entity unto itself. Platonism is dead, nihilism has won, and we're moving on.

This is like your toad. You know what a toad is, but I doubt you would be able to define it in such a precise way, and when seeing a toad, you likely would not reach for your definitional armamentarium to decide whether an amphibian was one or not.

Again, you're right. I should have referred to a square instead. Biology is nothing but one big gray area. Heaven and hell are a black and white issue, so a mathematical reference would have been more appropriate.

Likewise, with Holy and Sin, and while addressing concepts couched in those terms, you either have to apply their inherent meaning in the context of the sentence or culturally, or rope in external definition, but neither would allow the sort you are insisting upon before addressing an attempted syllogism.

If you think your theological terms are ill-defined, it's not my problem.

If you cannot define sin, then God is not reasonable in punishing us for it. No one has been sent to prison for "some kind of a crime or whatever." Worse yet, if we are "like ants" compared to God, why is he even playing with such high stakes to begin with? I wouldn't torture an ant for not understanding my rules and then violating them. Eternal consequences for beings who cannot possibly grasp the gravity of the situation, coupled with responsibilities and crimes that aren't even defined in the first place? You're making the insanity that is Islam look appealing by comparison.

It is specious to expect it to,

Given the infinite stakes at play, I expect some kind of clarity here. We are literally being forced to play a game with loosely defined rules and immense consequences.

and being a former Christian and I assume culturally western,

You assume correctly.

you understand the concept even if its reificatory definition is not necessarily evident.

No, I absolutely don't understand the concept. Neither did the church fathers. "Mutilation for all penises!" "No, that's not a thing anymore!"

The path you trod would otherwise eradicate all meaning presented in language that can be ambigiously understood or indeterminate and therefore leave all discussion moot outside of highly abstract systems like Mathematics.

There already is a fundamental lack of meaning in all languages, including the formal language of mathematics.

And I'd love to see you show otherwise.

Seeing though that you are seeking a syllogistic answer, I would point you to Aristotle, the father thereof. You would address this in the manner of Apodeixis, as he would call it. We Christians know Sin exists, we know Christ forgave it and that the Crucifixion was integral to Atonement.

No, you don't know it. You believe it. If you knew it, you could demonstrate it.

The operative method of Atonement is immaterial to know it works, just like I can drive a car without understanding the internal combustion engine.

What a bizarre analogy. I know a car works because when I put my foot to the pedal, the car goes. What *actually happens* that makes you *know* that there exists some method of atonement?

The Material cause is Jesus and His suffering; the Formal cause is the Crucifixion; the Efficient cause is our Sin and Christ's sinlessness and the Final cause is Atonement.

I requested either a physical or logical explanation for the necessity of the crucifixion. I see you're going the physical route - no problem there - but you've shrugged off necessity. Granting your argument in its entirety, we only have sufficiency. Sufficiency without necessity allows for the possibility of a non sequitur.

For example, suppose the Detroit Lions have clinched the NFC North title. It would be true to say that if their quarterback wrestles a pig in mud, then they will win the NFC North. Such an act would be sufficient, but obviously not necessary. Hence, mud wrestling a pig is a non sequitur here.

Since necessity is the point in question on this thread, you've done nothing to resolve the non sequitur.

Also, it would make a lot more sense to me if you moved Christ's sinlessness to the Material category.

If we cannot agree each of these, then it cannot be placed in a syllogistic framework.

Aside from the minor detail I mentioned with regards to sinlessness, your four causes seem to be valid and sound. I haven't intensely scrutinized them, though, because - as I said - granting your case in its entirety does absolutely nothing for the sake of this thread. Show necessity, and I will evaluate the argument.

For to say A thus B, etc. assumes that agreement is present already on the validity of A for instance, so that the logical interdependance of the concepts or not, can be investigated. This courtesy you seem not to have extended to us, so to argue the concept until you accept it and then syllogistically present it to you, is beyond the scope of the reasonable.

On the contrary, I'm willing to grant you any theological assumption you might need. In return, I insist that you define your terms and present a valid syllogism.

My 2 cents though: I know that the Crucifixion is the operable event in history that brings about Atonement.

No, you don't. You believe it.

I know many theories of Atonement, such as Poenal Substitution, Moral Influence, Scapegoat, Christus Victor, etc. Many of them aren't mutually exclusive. They may all be right, they may all be wrong. This does not change the fact of Atonement on the Cross; that I cannot properly describe its minutiae; for this is again the dichotomy between the real use of something and the abstraction thereof. To syllogistically present it, is no different from explaining how Gravity makes a stone fall. I know it does, I can give clever ways to describe it and support it, but I cannot definitively and exhaustively prove it; it is assertoric after all; without axiomatic appeals or ignoring the basic teleological question of why it does so.

I hope you agree that you have a lot to fix here. I might as well - I usually proofread before posting, but I barely had time for a skim.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ok. Let's try this another way, shall we? And you'll love this one--it's will wisk away all democratic sensibilities and assumptions. So, get your 'whys' ready for disbursement, NV! Here goes:

1. According to our Tri-une God, only the blood from designated holy sacrifices can cover the human guilt of sins committed against Him.

2. Jesus, the Son of God, is the only perfect and final holy designated sacrifice in existence.

OK, thanks. I'll look at this when I have time. I will make sure it's the next thing I respond to.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Are you making progress? Well, all previous arguments not only failed to establish necessity, but in fact made no attempt to do so. Here, you are just asserting it with no support. Why is the crucifixion necessary? Your answer is, "Because God said so."

Was this meant to be serious...?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you making progress? Well, all previous arguments not only failed to establish necessity, but in fact made no attempt to do so. Here, you are just asserting it with no support. Why is the crucifixion necessary? Your answer is, "Because God said so."

It's always been 'because God said so...' I'm not sure why there should be, or could be, some deductive reason by which we can make sense of the Crucifixion, other than that reflected in my 'failed' attempts to offer up a syllogism. And I'm surprised you even think there should be some way to deduce truths about God's work like that. I've already spelled out many times in our threads that the epistemology expressed in the Bible PREVENTS us from having the comprehensive and complete DATA that all you atheists so think we need. So, you'll just have to do what the rest of us do, and pray for the missing, deductive links. Otherwise, as the Bible also says...you'll get nothing (see James), and nothing is usually a good starting point for nihilism, isn't it?

Of course, it's because 'God said so.' It's not like there's some outside, Platonic Force of Good and Logic up and beyond and around the very being of God from which, if we just harness it, will enable us to deduce ... the necessities of God. Any expectation of this kind of thing is a bit foolish, in my estimation.

I'm done with the syllogism attempt to show the necessity of the cross. There isn't one. How about that, NV? o_O I never thought there was such a syllogism, particularly one of a mere, hollow, deductive quality to begin with, let alone one that you'd accept even if I could 'get the logic right.'

So, did you win? Maybe you did, maybe you didn't. You can go tell yourself that you have. Just remember what God does to the so called wisdom of this world. He makes it fail at some point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StTruth

Aug 6, 2016
Singapore (current)
✟22,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi Nihilist Virus,

You have an amazing threshold for pain and a huge reservoir of patience. I usually put people into categories and there are some I won't respond to at all not even if they leap into the air and do acrobatic stunts. I'm not saying they are bad people; it's just that you can't make any headway with people whose position is 'because God said so and I haven't got a single reason or piece of evidence for God even if I don't ever admit it'.

On another thread, I found another category of people I would lump together with the 'God said so' category. This is the person who insists that the onus of proof is as much on the person who introduces the existence of an unproved and unseen entity as on the person who says there probably isn't such an entity. I can't talk to such people either.

I know such people are good people but they are in a pitiable state. They are desperate to create some semblance of reasonableness in their system of belief. They got the short end of the stick in truth and they are making the best of it.

Cheers,

St Truth

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You think it's unreasonable. I don't. I'm allowing you to make nearly any theological assumption you could possibly need.
No, you aren't allowing that at all. You are insisting on apodicity. You thus in effect, are not allowing any assumption at all.
So forget meeting you halfway - I'm coming to your doorstep and that's still not good enough for you.
My doorstep? Nonsense. You dug miles of earthworks and a moat. If your OP was actually followed through, by all means. All your further posts were not even close to this acceptance you tossed in, as even when people explained covenant frameworks, you rejected it all. If you were allowing theological assumption, why the vehement opposition to covenants and their ilk? You need to do some introspection on your methodology here.

I'm not sure which basic definition I'm excluding. Actually, I prefer that your definitions are basic - so long as they are consistent and non circular.
You rejected "missing the mark" out of hand.

In reading the OP, it is reasonable to infer that I don't require a definition for any of those terms. Crucifixion and forgiveness are not theological terms. God is, obviously, but I have a pretty good idea what that word means. It's true that I should have stated in the OP that I need theological terms to be defined - such as holiness - but that notion was formulated in discussion. I cannot allow, for example, participants to define sin as "an unholy action" and holy as "sinless."
How is forgiveness not a theological term? Odd that you are completely ignoring the fact that I said I gave you a definition of sin, which was my original 'grumbling' when you mentioned post 118 as my refusal to do so. Instead, you decide to go on some strange disingenuous rant, instead of addressing my complaint, and acknowledging your mudslinging on this point in error.

Really? To be clear, are you saying that if you challenged me to prove any arbitrary scientific notion, and you allowed me to make any scientific assumption according to my whim so long as I define my terms, then I will always fail? Is that really what you're saying? I just want to make sure before responding, because as I read it your claim here is outrageous.
If I apply the same apodictic requirements you adopted in this thread to craft scientific syllogisms, then yes. No scientific notion of any way, shape or form, can be shown based on the terms you insist on for theological ones here. For you wish terms defined so that you accept them, according to an absolutist framework, such as you did for sin, covenant, holiness, forgiveness, etc. One cannot do that for scientific inductive reasoning or method and without them, there is no science.

This thread is about the exploration of crucifixion and the forgiveness of sin. If I have no idea what sin is, it's going to be a nonsensical discussion. If it's left undefined, I see no reason why God cannot forgive all sin as an act of will. Christian theology, as I understand it, attests that the fundamental nature of sin and God's holiness do not allow for God to forgive sin as an act of will. I'm trying to formalize this concept, and formalization requires definitions.
Ok. I fail to see how this is relevant to what I said in the part you quoted.

OK. Maybe I should've used a square instead of a frog as a comparison.
How would that change anything? You would still be trying to exploit the inherent difficulties of definition and deficiencies of language.

The various disciplines of science were painstakingly cobbled together and built upon over generations without any help from a deity. Religious principles, conversely, were personally dispensed by God. If confusion arises, that's a problem. If my feet are held over the fire because of this idea of sin, and God won't even tell me what sin actually is, then I have to think of him as a trickster God.
Theology is itself a painstaking construct from centuries of Theologians. It is trying to make sense of a concept man has had since its earliest days, which is the same that the early natural philosophers were doing - This was before they just started building constructs upon their own theorums, building a massive ivory tower, while forgetting the basic axiomatic assumptions upon which the whole thing is based.

We see the same thing in Science, where on the grounds of Eugenics, Racialism, Economic theory, disagreements on taxonomy, etc., many had their "feet in the fire", as it were. Many lost their lives when Science of their day was applied in political spheres, like the Great Indian Famine, and many their careers and livelihood on petty disputes, like Cuvier's dispute over taxonomy of the cuttlefish. This is anyway a fallacious obfuscation, as the whole point is that no human concept can be so irreduceably defined, whether scientific or religious, thus it is silly to expect it in either.
I reject this. Parallel lines are not defined as lines which do not cross; that notion is simply taken as an axiom. However, in common usage, parallel lines are defined as lines which do not cross.
So there are two definitions. A mathematical one and a popular one. Are both not defined in the manner they are used? Does not the term then change meaning depending if used by a mathematician or the man on the street? How do you determine a defintion then, if not by how the word is used?

It looks like you're trying to say that a definition is an entity unto itself. Platonism is dead, nihilism has won, and we're moving on.
How can nihilism have won, if by its own precepts this is negated? If you cannot be sure of anything, neither can you be sure of nihilism.

Anyway, when someone makes an observation or writes an idea, they are writing the memory thereof or simulcrum of what was observed. This is not the thing itself, but a new thing, an abstract. Only on these abstract formulations can we apply any human thought, for how can they be reified? Even to test them entails creating simulcra into theoretical realms, to apply one to the other. There is a vast gulf between the intellectualisation of experience, the theory of what is occuring, and the experience itself. We create mental worlds and to pretend these are perfect representations of what exists in reality, is wishful thinking.
There is a reason why virtually ALL western thought is essentially based on the Socrates/Plato/Aristotle axis.
Again, you're right. I should have referred to a square instead. Biology is nothing but one big gray area. Heaven and hell are a black and white issue, so a mathematical reference would have been more appropriate.

If you think your theological terms are ill-defined, it's not my problem.

If you cannot define sin, then God is not reasonable in punishing us for it. No one has been sent to prison for "some kind of a crime or whatever." Worse yet, if we are "like ants" compared to God, why is he even playing with such high stakes to begin with? I wouldn't torture an ant for not understanding my rules and then violating them. Eternal consequences for beings who cannot possibly grasp the gravity of the situation, coupled with responsibilities and crimes that aren't even defined in the first place? You're making the insanity that is Islam look appealing by comparison.

Given the infinite stakes at play, I expect some kind of clarity here. We are literally being forced to play a game with loosely defined rules and immense consequences.

You assume correctly.

No, I absolutely don't understand the concept. Neither did the church fathers. "Mutilation for all penises!" "No, that's not a thing anymore!"

There already is a fundamental lack of meaning in all languages, including the formal language of mathematics.

And I'd love to see you show otherwise.
You're not addressing my criticism. You insist things cannot be defined properly, even mathematical ones, yet that is exactly what you are expecting from Theology. This is silly.

There isn't a "fundamental lack of meaning", but layered meaning, contextual meaning, multiple meanings. Place one concept against another, and we define it by its opposite as much as its own inherent qualities. We see dark by the lack of light, for instance. We form inherent dualities, which we only understand once we deconstruct them, and even then, meaning is fluid. For the act of definition, has itself altered how I saw the concept, and in essence, created a new additional definition. It is like Wittgenstein's portrait. If you look upon the actual thing, by describing it, you create a new thing. The description has not altered the original, unless I build it into the frame itself, but that would then have been inherently a part of it from the start, and any description would by necessity have to account for this description upon the portrait also.

We are very much at cross purposes, as you deny all meaning and then expect us to give you meaningful explanations. This is an exercise in futility, until you alter the conceptual framework from within which the discussion has been done.

No, you don't know it. You believe it. If you knew it, you could demonstrate it.
This is an axiomatic assumption with no basis. Does a child not know their family members, without being able to explain in what way or method they are related to one another? Sin predates Christianity and was widely accepted by humanity. This is a part of why the Gospel, the Good News, managed to spread so fast. Perhaps you should read some anthropology.

What a bizarre analogy. I know a car works because when I put my foot to the pedal, the car goes. What *actually happens* that makes you *know* that there exists some method of atonement?
Christ atoned my sins. I know it occurred. I recognised sin and then recognised its abscence.

I requested either a physical or logical explanation for the necessity of the crucifixion. I see you're going the physical route - no problem there - but you've shrugged off necessity. Granting your argument in its entirety, we only have sufficiency. Sufficiency without necessity allows for the possibility of a non sequitur.

For example, suppose the Detroit Lions have clinched the NFC North title. It would be true to say that if their quarterback wrestles a pig in mud, then they will win the NFC North. Such an act would be sufficient, but obviously not necessary. Hence, mud wrestling a pig is a non sequitur here.

Since necessity is the point in question on this thread, you've done nothing to resolve the non sequitur.

Also, it would make a lot more sense to me if you moved Christ's sinlessness to the Material category.
Please look up the four causes of Aristotle, as you missed the entire point I was trying to make. I was applying Logical Syllogism as it had been invented, in the manner of its inventor, in fact.

As I told you before, Necessity is a ridiculous requirement to insist upon from the start, for such apodictic statements cannot be made on such assertoric concepts. Again, we would be unable to show almost all human thought to be acceptable on such stringent grounds.
Why must an apple fall by necessity? By Gravity? Why? Why does gravity cause this? By mass? What material actions occur that matter has mass and this gravity? Why does one entail the other? - I hope this shows you why any logical construct of this nature cannot be expected on these grounds, it is plainly silly to. To insist on necessity, requires an assertoric logical proposition, one cannot do so on apodictic grounds for anything but the most basic of ideas.

Aside from the minor detail I mentioned with regards to sinlessness, your four causes seem to be valid and sound. I haven't intensely scrutinized them, though, because - as I said - granting your case in its entirety does absolutely nothing for the sake of this thread. Show necessity, and I will evaluate the argument.
You are being specious. See above for the problems of 'necessity' which you seem to be missing in entirety, or more likely, abusing for your ends. Perhaps you do not understand what an apodictic and an assetoric proposition is?

On the contrary, I'm willing to grant you any theological assumption you might need. In return, I insist that you define your terms and present a valid syllogism.
I disagree. You have not allowed a single theological assumption that I am aware of. People presented many valid Syllogisms with defined terms, yet by hook or crook you refused them, on grounds of denying the assumptions they entail like covenants and whatnot.

No, you don't. You believe it.
What pray tell, is the difference between knowing something or believing it? Science itself is built on the belief that all the experiments done before really happened and the trust in the Authority that informed you of them. Even if you redid every experiment, an impossibility, this would still be you 'knowing', because you believed you had done so, not actual 'knowledge' of the event itself. It would merely be memory.
Don't quibble on terms like this, for people in glass houses should not throw stones.

I hope you agree that you have a lot to fix here. I might as well - I usually proofread before posting, but I barely had time for a skim.
Seems okay to me. What are you having trouble following? Perhaps stylistically I used too many semicolons, yes...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm saying that the crucifixion and the *forgiveness of all sins of mankind* is a non sequitur, not the crucifixion and the *forgiveness of the crucifixion itself.*

God showing us what true forgiveness and love looks like through Christ is what causes the sins of mankind to be forgiven, so long as we actually comprehend what he has done.

Either you did not read the OP, or I wasn't clear in what I said, or you are playing games with me. In case I wasn't clear in what I said, I am being clear now so please stop pressing this irrelevant issue.

Thanks for clarifying, but it's still not a non-sequitur because understanding Gods's true forgiveness and love through Christ's life and death, leads to the forgiveness of mankind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems okay to me. What are you having trouble following? Perhaps stylistically I used too many semicolons, yes...
...somehow, I don't think he'd get you confused with me; ;)

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Please present a sound, valid logical syllogism which explains why Christ's execution was either a physical or logical necessity for the forgiveness of sins.

You may assume the existence of God in the form of the trinity.

You may assume the "existence" of sin, but only if you clearly define what it is ("Missing the mark" or "offending God" is not a complete, exhaustive, and clear definition; I must be able to determine on my own what is or isn't a sin from your definition).

If you think you need another logical premise for free, please state clearly what it is and why you need it as another freebie.
I think the only tenable answer is: It became necessary when God arbitrarily decided/determined that it was necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That makes no sense at all.

Jesus could've easily killed his killers before they could kill him, the point(cross) is that he didn't do that. This world could certainly use more people who refuse to return violence with violence, but those are the people who die as martyrs, yet are justified in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0