Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If Greek had an exact meaning for every word, it wouldn't have taken me 5 hours to translate and parse 6 verses for my midterm. Here is an example:
the conjunction "kai" which is commonly translated "and" can mean:
and, even, also, but, and then, and yet, namely, both.

The verb "lego" can mean:
I say, speak, tell, mean, ask, answer, declare, call, name.

The whole darn language is like that. These two words are the ones I happened to glance at to use for examples. So Greek has anything but one meaning per word.

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, this sure got derailed from the original subject.

Razor, the bible you hold in your hand has an amazing story behind it of how it came to be. Through the teamwork of God and man, it took centuries to be forged into what you hold in your hand.
I believe the integrity of the message it holds has been preserved.

Upvote 0

ikester7579

Jan 10, 2003
Florida
✟1,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yep, Your right. If God is powerful enough to creat all that we, surely he would have been powerful enough to keep his word from getting all meesed up. Though I cannot not say much for those people who write other versions in an attempt to get someone to think their way about what they think about God and his word. I really feel sorry for them because there's a curse the Bible speaks of if this is attempted. That there names will be blotted from the book of life(which is the book your name has to be in, in order to get into heaven). Though I'm not sure but I think this is one of those unforgivable sins.

Upvote 0

ikester7579

Jan 10, 2003
Florida
✟1,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ot or nt? My God is the one who created the Earth and all living things on it. Why do we need a God? Why don't we need a God? We need a God because of our sins. Someone has to forgive them.

You will never know how much you really believe anything until it's truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life or death to you.... If someone were to come up to you today and point a gun in your face and say: I am killing all who believe in Evolution because I do not believe in it, nor do I think it should be taught in our schools. Then he turns to you and asks: Do you believe in Evolution? What would be your reply? Would you die for what you believe in? The girl at Colunbine school had no problem with this, and she knew they were doing this. She was not the first they asked this. You see as christains we will die for what we believe in. Why? When something gets into your heart to where you can feel absolute love for it. You would die for it. It's like a family member. Your wife, husband, brother, sister, mother or father etc... You would not hesitate to give your life for them because of this absolute love for them. This is what Jesus does for us. This is why he died for us. Absolute love with no questions. If a car was about to hit a child you did not even know, and you were the only one that could save that child but it meant you might die trying do you hesitate? To give your life for someone or something is absolute love and if you do not have this for what you believe, you need to ask yourself why. Our brain is a lot smarter than we relize. Our body soul and mind will not commit to do something like die unless we are fully committed to it. Most people would die for their country their freedom their family, but not Evolution? Would you????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Originally posted by ikester7579
Most people would die for their country their freedom their family, but not Evolution? Would you????

Maybe gravity or relativity, but I don't know about evolution.

ikester,

Again, you are confusing acceptance of mainstream scientific findings with religious beliefs. There are many Christians (and those of other faiths) who accept evolution and mainstream geology and an old earth. The do not do this out of "belief", they do this because this is what the data shows.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by ikester7579
If someone were to come up to you today and point a gun in your face and say: I am killing all who believe in Evolution because I do not believe in it, nor do I think it should be taught in our schools. Then he turns to you and asks: Do you believe in Evolution? What would be your reply? Would you die for what you believe in?

Why would I let myself be killed at the hands of some whacko when I could just as easily lie and try to help diffuse the situation? Belief in the theory of evolution is not a religious belief. This is just like asking someone if they would die for their belief in plate tectonics theory. Whether or not you are faced with death has no bearing on the veracity of a concept.

Why? When something gets into your heart to where you can feel absolute love for it. You would die for it. It's like a family member. Your wife, husband, brother, sister, mother or father etc... You would not hesitate to give your life for them because of this absolute love for them.

Religious beliefs are not comparable to scientific theories, especially in this sense. Just because I'm going to be a geologist doesn't mean I profess my undying love at the possible expense of my life for plate tectonics theory. I accept it as valid.

Most people would die for their country their freedom their family, but not Evolution? Would you????

Most people would die for their country their freedom their family, but not plate tectonics? Would you????

This has nothing to do with the veracity of evolution or even scientific discussion.

Upvote 0

RazorX

¤The Blade of Truth¤
Jan 13, 2003
Classified
✟16,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Mechanical Bliss
Belief in the theory of evolution is not a religious belief.
Actually it is..... Do you have any hard proof of Evolution? If not you are just beliveing that evolution is real because the Earth is thought to be old(there are too many "maybe's and could have's for Evolution to be hard fact).... There is no proof of the fact that it rained forty days and forty nights in the bible, we just have to have faith that the bible is telling the truth! Don't you think your evolution theory needs some faith for it to be true?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Don't you think your evolution theory needs some faith for it to be true?

Yes - it needs belief that we can deduce facts about nature by observing nature. Same faith that is required for believing in such non-religious ideas as gravity, relativity, the existence of atoms and moleculese, etc. etc...

No, that isn't religious belief, because it is grounded in observation of nature, not in acceptance of revealed truth.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by RazorX
Actually it is..... Do you have any hard proof of Evolution?

Since scientific theories cannot be proven, per se, then no. However, there is an abundance of evidence. A scientific theory is not an unsubstantiated one.

If not you are just beliveing that evolution is real because the Earth is thought to be old

I accept evolution because of evidence from modern genetics and paleontology. My acceptance of the theory has only little to do with the age of the Earth. The fact that the age of the Earth and the fossil record reflect what we would expect for an evolutionary scenario do support it however.

(there are too many "maybe's and could have's for Evolution to be hard fact)

It is a fact that genetic material changes over time. That is evolution. Facts from experiments in modern genetics and paleontological observations further substantiate a more sophisticated theory of evolution where we try to deduce the most logical mechanism for evolution.

There is no proof of the fact that it rained forty days and forty nights in the bible, we just have to have faith that the bible is telling the truth!

No, you don't have proof, BUT you don't have any evidence either. The only evidence you have rests on a circular argument (a logical fallacy): the Bible is true because the Bible says it's true. However there is ZERO extrabiblical evidence for the flooding event to which you are alluding. THAT is faith: belief without evidence. You have absolutely no rational reason to believe it, but you do.

Don't you think your evolution theory needs some faith for it to be true?

My faith rests in the self-correcting scientific method, but it's not belief without evidence. Faith is belief without evidence such as religious faith. Acceptance of the theory of evolution is not religious faith.

Upvote 0

ikester7579

Jan 10, 2003
Florida
✟1,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I can see by your posts that you don't get it, won't get it, because you don't won't to get it. So why do you even bother to post here? And why do you think it's so funny to make fun of what other people believe? Try and make them look stupid is a child's game. It's called the one up game. When I became a man a put away childish things. And to compare Islamic whacko's to what I believe. Another make you look stupid game. Yall are so good at this. Is there a course? Does it give credits? You see with this response i have made some of you look and feel stupid. But where did it get me? Where did what you said get you? That all I get from this forum is a bunch of arguing stupids that can't see past their nose. I have seen all the facts for Evolution. And I have seen all the facts for Creation. I have made my choice, Just as you have made yours. Yall coming to this Christain forum tells me one of three things. You love to argue or you not sure what you believe or you have nothing better to do. All of the posts by Christians here you sure go out of your way to try and make them look stupid. Do you hate us that much? If not I don't understand. Maybe someone explain this behavior to me. And it's always the same people. What's with that?

Upvote 0