creationism, ID and the flood, (Split from "This thread is for Creationists")

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
Quotes are from post #43 in this thread,
http://www.christianforums.com/t1361858-this-thread-is-for-creationists.html

"So, computer programs were not built by intelligence? Interesting claim. Also, those computer programs were not representative of natural evolutionism and its alleged mechanism. There were many differences in them. It still stands to reason that logic says intelligence is needed to formulate (purposeful) design."

The computer program would be the mechanism, how it came to be is not the question. An intelligent being building the computer program which fully works would be similar to theistic evolution, and since theistic evolution is scientifically the same as evolution, it is considered the same thing in this debate.

What differences in those computer programs? Give specifics
How does logic say intelligence is needed to formulate purposeful design?
How is it decided what design is purposeful?
What is "purposeful" design?
If things can be found in animals that doesn't match this definition would that mean a designer didn't create them? In other words, how is purposeful design falsifiable?

"Really? Many evolutionists would disagree with you, Arikay. Mutations are indeed random. Natural selection supposedly picks up the positive random mutations because they're beneficial to the environment. What about this isn't random? Are you just playing semantic games regarding natural selection?"

I would have to say that no evolutionist would disagree with me. Mutations are random but evolution is not just mutations it is natural selection. Natural selection basically organizes these mutations.

An example. Take a random scoop of dirt, now pass it through a filter. Although the scoop was random, the filter has organized the dirt into two piles based on granular size.

I think there may be some confusion. Because the raw material is random, the results will be random (as in, run the clock back and start over and things may appear differently). However, the process is not random but guided through adaption to the environment. Since it appeared you said that the process was random, I was correcting you, since that is not correct.

"I think evolution is an argument from ignorance. It takes things like similarity and says it must be due to common ancestry. It takes the massive discontinuity in the fossil record, and says it's either due to stasis or "punk ek." As I have stated before, my "argument from ignorance" is actually based on an argument from experience; which is, purposeful design is only caused by intelligence. Your argument from ignorance is based on things contary to common sense and logic."

An argument from ignorance is basically "I don't know, thus ____"
Scientists have taken all the evidence to point to common ancestry. The similarity and differences between animals. When animals are organized based on morphology (similar features), or when they are organized based on similarities in RNA we receive the same hierarchy (These similarities in RNA are not needed for the animal to function). This is know as twin nested hierarchy and provides evidence for common ancestors. When the fossil record is organized based on morphological changes and when it is organized by age, we receive the same pattern. This evolution is not, "I don't know, thus common ancestry." It is, "The evidence points to common ancestry, thus common ancestry."

Punk eeeeeeeek (thud).
It seems like you think punk eek is some sort excuse without evidence.
This is incorrect. Punk eek makes predictions. The basic prediction of punk eek is that a species will evolve in a small area and eventually take over the whole area. It will appear to be a jump in the fossil record but if the small area can be found it is possible to find transitional fossils to smooth out the fossil record.
Although rare, examples of just that have been found,
"There is a particular class of trilobites called Phacops that shows this exact pattern. The gradual change in the population is found in a single quarry in New Hampshire. The more general fossil finds show a gap in the Phacops line of great (apparent) significance.
In short, in most locations, the fossils show a sudden appearance. But the fossils in one small place reveal that the trilobite species evolved there, and then migrated to the other places."

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/phacops.html

"Yes, because there's nothing to show that purposeless processes can create complex living things by itself. "

All your opinion.
Without positive evidence for an intelligent designer, evolution being false doesn't make ID true.

"It's not an opinion that life looks complex and designed, it's a matter of fact. Ask any biologist and they should confirm this to you. if we look at life empirically, we see that it is indeed designed and vastly complex. It's just that you think it was designed artifically by nature, and I by an intelligent designer. "

You are right, life does appear complex and designed. Your opinion comes in when you jump from, "Life appears complex and designed" to "It must be an intelligent designer."
Intelligent design is based on negative evidence, that if evolution can't explain something, ID must be right. That is a fallacy.

"You have failed to provide any rebuttal. If you aren't going to respond with substance, then what's the point of responding at all? "

I didn't provide information because it was an off topic comment to an off topic comment. Thus keeping it short but providing a rebuttal is the point. Unfortunately that doesn't always work.

"He is definitely more an evolutionist than creationists, in that he thinks animals can change from one type into a fundmentally different type. Saying AiG is dishonest is a matter of opinion, and also the point which you are calling them dishonest on is trivial. "

"More an evolutionist than creationist" doesn't cut it. To be an evolutionist you need to accept the current theory of evolution. Does Behe accept that? In his own words,
"Q. You were originally a believer in evolution. What changed your mind?

A. ...I became skeptical of the theory in the late 1980s after reading a book "Evolution: A Theory in Crisis" by an Australian geneticist named Michael Denton. Denton pointed out a number of scientific problems of the theory that I had never considered before.

http://www.arn.org/docs/behe/mb_pittinterview0201.htm
So, no, Behe is Not an evolutionist, he is a supporter of Intelligent Design theory. So it is not my opinion that AiG was dishonest, but fact. They claimed Behe is an evolutionist when he is not.

Trivial? The paper is called, "Irreducible complexity: some candid admissions by evolutionists" Their main quote is by Behe. Thus whether Behe is an evolutionist or not is very important to the article. If he is not an evolutionist, then it hurts the entire article.

The AiG article was written in 2003, the interview was in 2001. AiG either didn't bother to do any research, or they blatantly lied. I do not think AiG is that out of the loop when it comes to one of the leading supporters of the Intelligent Design movement.
On a side note, it should be mentioned that Denton has since become and evolutionist and has written a refutation to his original book.

"Creation predicts a lack of transitional fossils, and this prediction is correct. Thanks for clarifying and helping my point along."

I would disagree. Details to which will be later, but for now, there are a couple false arguments about transitionals to go over.
1) A common argument is to ask for smaller and smaller transitional until none can be provided, then it is declared that there are no real transitional fossils. For example, we have fossil A and fossil B and fossil C is a transitional between the two. It is then asked for a transitional between fossil A and C and B and C. Lets say fossil D is a transitional for A and C and fossil E is a transitional for B and C. So it currently looks like this:
A->D->C->E->B.
It is then asked for fossils in between A and D, D and C, C and E, E and B. This continues until fossils can no longer be provided. This is a false argument because it ignores the evidence provided and how fossilization works.

2) Another is that the transitional fossil is labeled as being from one of the two kinds it is said to be a transitional of and not a real transitional. Often its claimed that the organism just had a disease that made it look slightly different. The problem with this is that they can never show any evidence for the claimed disease, and that many creationists can't agree on which kind the fossil should be put in or why.

"Don't say this unless you are prepared to substantiate it, please. Otherwise, why bring it up? "

This could be a whole new topic but to keep it simple.
A flood would sort things based on weight and buoyancy. The fossil record should display this. Modern whales and ancient dinosaurs should be seen mixed together. Rabbits and small dinosaurs, etc. This isn't what is found.

"So you are going to hide under "off topic" in order to avoid giving substance to your claims about IC?"

The problem with IC as an argument against evolution (not an argument for IDism, since remember, if evolution isn't true, doesn't mean an Intelligent designer did it.) is it ignores the fact that evolution doesn't build things part by part. For example, a system can evolve from a simple non IC system into one that is IC, or a system could change function from one which isn't IC to one that is.

Upon further inspections many systems turn out not to be IC, for example, Behe has dropped blood clotting as an example of IC.

A good article on IC,
http://www.talkdesign.org/faqs/icdmyst/ICDmyst.html

"Yeah, those were some things you failed to substantiate. It seems like you are a clever asserter and vague on actual arguments. If it would be convenient for you, maybe we can have sort of a "debate" on the fossil record and how the flood is so inconsistent with it."

You obviously haven't been around here awhile. Maybe you should actually take a look at some of my threads before we wander further into ad hom land.

Sure, a debate on the fossil record and the flood will be good.
One inconsistency with the flood is the existence transitional fossils. So I will start with one of my favorite transitional fossil sets, whales.
Summarized from http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional/part2b.html
• Eoconodon or similar triisodontine arctocyonids (early Paleocene) -- Similar to the early exyclaenid condylarths, had strong canine teeth, blunt cheek teeth and flattened claws.
• Microclaenodon (mid-Paleocene) -- A transitional genus intermediate between Eoconodon and the Mesonychids. Its molar teeth are reorganized to look like premolars. It was adapted more toward carnivory.
• Dissacus (mid-Paleocene) -- Molars closer to premolars and other tooth changes.
• Hapalodectes or a very similar mesonychid (early Eocene, around 55 Ma) -- Very narrow shearing molars, a distinctively shape zygomatic arch and vascularized areas between the molars. probably a close relative to the whale ancestor.
• Pakicetus (early-mid Eocene, 52 Ma) -- The oldest fossil whale known. Terrestrial ears, not good for underwater sound location or deep diving. Molars have very mesonychid like cusps but other teeth are like those of later whales. Nostrils are still at the front of the head.
• Ambulocetus natans (early-mid Eocene, 50 Ma) -- Still retains four legs, although they were stubby. Had large back feet that stuck out like tail flukes but lacked real tail flukes and had a simple long tail. Long snout with no blowhole.
• Rodhocetus (mid-Eocene, 46 Ma) -- Smaller hind legs with a powerful tail. Nostrils had moved back from the tip of the snout.
• Basilosaurus isis, Protocetes, Indocetus ramani and similar small-legged whales of the mid-late Eocene (45-42 Ma) -- Still retained hind legs but most likely couldn't walk on them anymore. B isis might have bee a cousin to the modern whale.
• Prozeuglodon (late Eocene, 40 Ma) -- Hind legs almost gone but still present. 6" hind legs on a 15 foot body.
• Eocetus, & similar "archeocete whales" of the late Eocene -- More advanced whales, that had lost their hind legs, but retained more primitive skull and teeth with unfused nostrils. Much larger streamline bodies with a tail fluke.

In the Oligocene, whales split into two lineages:
1. Toothed whales:
• Agorophius (late Oligocene) -- partly telescoped skull with cheek teeth still rooted.
• Prosqualodon (late Oligocene) -- Fully telescoped skull with nostrils on top
• Kentriodon (mid-Miocene) -- Skull telescoped but still symmetrical.
2. Baleen (toothless) whales:
• Aetiocetus (late Oligocene) -- Most primitive mysticete whale. Most likely the stem group for all baleen whales. mysticete style loose jaw hinge and air sinus, but retained its teeth
• Mesocetus (mid-Miocene) --- lost its teeth.
• Modern baleen whales first appeared in the late Miocene.​

Notice the dates, the whale fossils can be grouped based on age or morphology. I like the whale transitional because the fossils aren't all we have. Studies of modern whales show flipper bones similar to modern land mammal limbs, and vestigial legs (some whales don't have a single bone but a more developed limb like structure).
The early ancestors to the whale still had the appearance of a land mammal but were beginning to develop an ear that could hear better underwater. This ear design exists only in whales and their ancestors.

An example of a transitional fossil line and something that hasn't been explained by flood theory all in one.

"I have not d/l this program, but I assure you that it isn't the equivalent to naturalistic evolutionism."

So you haven't downloaded the program, but he can assure me that it isn't the same as evolution? Can you support that claim?

"About DNA not being like a book, I disagree, I believe it is and was created perfectly at one point. My belief is consistent with current evidence. "

Where is the evidence that DNA was perfect at one point?
DNA is a code not a story. Thus it is not like a book.

"Please specifiy. "

Most of the claims that you have made but haven't provided support for.
But this is a new thread, so it doesn't matter in this one.

dctalkexp

Adventurer
Nov 21, 2003
California
✟394.00
Faith
Christian
Arikay said:
The computer program would be the mechanism, how it came to be is not the question. An intelligent being building the computer program which fully works would be similar to theistic evolution, and since theistic evolution is scientifically the same as evolution, it is considered the same thing in this debate.

Actually, it's not the same thing scientifically. Many TE believe that God guided the process, and sometimes even intervened. This is far different than pruposeless randomness. A computer program would never be adequate to replicate evolutionism, because we don't even know the full details about living things. There is still much to know. Moreoever, any program would have to be adding fictional details about mutational information gain and how often it happens, considering we never see that happen now. Any program will not replicate evolutionism.

What differences in those computer programs? Give specifics
How does logic say intelligence is needed to formulate purposeful design?
How is it decided what design is purposeful?
What is "purposeful" design?
If things can be found in animals that doesn't match this definition would that mean a designer didn't create them? In other words, how is purposeful design falsifiable?

1. I explained why any program will not work.
2. Logic tells us that design is produced by intelligence. Any design that we know of has a purpose by an intelligent agent. Even snow flakes have a preprogrammed code in order to form the way they do.

3. Design is purposeful when the design does something. For example, scribbles on a paper probably could be considered design, but it certainly is not purposeful.

4. Living organisms are purposeful design. A chair is purposeful design. Reading glasses are purposeful design. Design which has a purpose. Simple.

5. The overwhelming amount of evidence shows us that all living things are tremendously filled with purposeful design. If you attempt to show useless elements to an animal, you have to consider some options from a design perspective. 1) We simply haven't found the use yet. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. Past experience reveals to us that assuming an evolutionary past yields wrong conclusions about "vesitigal" structures. It is always best to be on the side of more research rather than premature conclusions. 2) The element of the animal in question may have lost its function where it was once purposeful. This is in line with a creation perspective, because our world is degenerating, not regenerating. Evolutionists believe we are "advancing."

I would have to say that no evolutionist would disagree with me. Mutations are random but evolution is not just mutations it is natural selection. Natural selection basically organizes these mutations.

An example. Take a random scoop of dirt, now pass it through a filter. Although the scoop was random, the filter has organized the dirt into two piles based on granular size.

I think there may be some confusion. Because the raw material is random, the results will be random (as in, run the clock back and start over and things may appear differently). However, the process is not random but guided through adaption to the environment. Since it appeared you said that the process was random, I was correcting you, since that is not correct.

The filter of natural selection really hasn't anything to do with the way things EVOLVE, only what evolved trait will stay. So evolution is indeed random, even if the filterization process isn't.

An argument from ignorance is basically "I don't know, thus ____"
Scientists have taken all the evidence to point to common ancestry. The similarity and differences between animals. When animals are organized based on morphology (similar features), or when they are organized based on similarities in RNA we receive the same hierarchy (These similarities in RNA are not needed for the animal to function). This is know as twin nested hierarchy and provides evidence for common ancestors. When the fossil record is organized based on morphological changes and when it is organized by age, we receive the same pattern. This evolution is not, "I don't know, thus common ancestry." It is, "The evidence points to common ancestry, thus common ancestry."

You are still not getting it, Arikay. I am not saying I don't know, so X. I am saying life experience indicates design is produced by intelligence.
Evolutionary scientists have taken the argument from ignorance position, not me. They are basically saying we don't know how things could be similar without evolution, so they must have evolved. They are arguing from dogmatic assumptions, whereas I am arguing from logic.

The fossil record shows us massive discontinuity, and very few questionable transitional fossils. These fossils are interpreted based on assumptions, and I am not really convinced that the evolutionary assumptions are logical or rational. They are based on ignorance. If you are using the fossil record to support your view of common ancestry, then you are in deep trouble, because it yields terrible results for your hypothesis. There should be millions upon millions OBVIOUS transitionals as by your theory, yet we do not see such things. Instead, you base your arguments on a very few questionable fossils. Even Darwin, as you know, talked about the necessity of trnasitionals for his theory to be true.

All your opinion.
Without positive evidence for an intelligent designer, evolution being false doesn't make ID true.

Evidence of design is evident in all organisms. There is no doubt about this. Therefore, the burden is on the evolutionists to show why this design is due to natural forces. All of logic says that design does not form by naturalism.
Also, if evolution is false, then please tell me what other theory could possibly be viable?

You are right, life does appear complex and designed. Your opinion comes in when you jump from, "Life appears complex and designed" to "It must be an intelligent designer."
Intelligent design is based on negative evidence, that if evolution can't explain something, ID must be right. That is a fallacy.

No, you are wrong. ID is based on, "If it looks designed, and its only competing opponent can't account for its obvious design, then we are left with what is obvious, that there is a Designer." This isn't a shocking fallacy, it's common sense. I know you don't hink common sense applies to designed organisms, but if evolution isn't plausible, then obviously it does

"More an evolutionist than creationist" doesn't cut it. To be an evolutionist you need to accept the current theory of evolution. Does Behe accept that? In his own words,
"Q. You were originally a believer in evolution. What changed your mind?

A. ...I became skeptical of the theory in the late 1980s after reading a book "Evolution: A Theory in Crisis" by an Australian geneticist named Michael Denton. Denton pointed out a number of scientific problems of the theory that I had never considered before.

http://www.arn.org/docs/behe/mb_pittinterview0201.htm

So, no, Behe is Not an evolutionist, he is a supporter of Intelligent Design theory. So it is not my opinion that AiG was dishonest, but fact. They claimed Behe is an evolutionist when he is not.

Trivial? The paper is called, "Irreducible complexity: some candid admissions by evolutionists" Their main quote is by Behe. Thus whether Behe is an evolutionist or not is very important to the article. If he is not an evolutionist, then it hurts the entire article.

The AiG article was written in 2003, the interview was in 2001. AiG either didn't bother to do any research, or they blatantly lied. I do not think AiG is that out of the loop when it comes to one of the leading supporters of the Intelligent Design movement.
On a side note, it should be mentioned that Denton has since become and evolutionist and has written a refutation to his original book.

You originally claimed that Behe is an evolutionist like creationists are, or something of the sort. I claimed that you were wrong, Behe is much more of an evolutionist than creationists are, as he believes what type can transform into a fundamentally different type. To me, and obviously AiG, that means he is an evolutionist, because he certainly is not a creationist. He believes one kind can turn into another.

Also, your implication is that Denton refuted his original work and became an evolutionist. Well, not completely accurate. Denton still does not accept Darwinism, so by your own definition of an evolutionist, he is not an evolutionist, but an Intelligent Designist. I would agree with your original statement of course, that Denton is an evolutionist, that's why we can call Behe one too. Were you under the impression that Denton was a Darwinist now? If so, why?

I would disagree. Details to which will be later, but for now, there are a couple false arguments about transitionals to go over.
1) A common argument is to ask for smaller and smaller transitional until none can be provided, then it is declared that there are no real transitional fossils. For example, we have fossil A and fossil B and fossil C is a transitional between the two. It is then asked for a transitional between fossil A and C and B and C. Lets say fossil D is a transitional for A and C and fossil E is a transitional for B and C. So it currently looks like this:
A->D->C->E->B.
It is then asked for fossils in between A and D, D and C, C and E, E and B. This continues until fossils can no longer be provided. This is a false argument because it ignores the evidence provided and how fossilization works.

2) Another is that the transitional fossil is labeled as being from one of the two kinds it is said to be a transitional of and not a real transitional. Often its claimed that the organism just had a disease that made it look slightly different. The problem with this is that they can never show any evidence for the claimed disease, and that many creationists can't agree on which kind the fossil should be put in or why.

First of all, let's see an example of what you mean by number 1. Second, creationists are simply saying that evolutionists are too eager and prematurely deem something a transitional when there are other logical explanations. Moreover, as I said before, the fossil record should be absolutely littered with transitional creatures that are vastly different from the forms of today. While there are different looking creatures in the record, they are not that different from the creatures of today. The ways to solve this by evolutionists is to postulate unsubstantiated stories.

You obviously haven't been around here awhile. Maybe you should actually take a look at some of my threads before we wander further into ad hom land.

Sure, a debate on the fossil record and the flood will be good.

One inconsistency with the flood is the existence transitional fossils. So I will start with one of my favorite transitional fossil sets, whales.
Notice the dates, the whale fossils can be grouped based on age or morphology. I like the whale transitional because the fossils aren't all we have. Studies of modern whales show flipper bones similar to modern land mammal limbs, and vestigial legs (some whales don't have a single bone but a more developed limb like structure).
The early ancestors to the whale still had the appearance of a land mammal but were beginning to develop an ear that could hear better underwater. This ear design exists only in whales and their ancestors.

An example of a transitional fossil line and something that hasn't been explained by flood theory all in one.

AiG has an article on whale evolution, which you should read. It can be found at: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/re1/chapter5.asp
This link should refute all of your alleged fossil evidence of transitional whale fossils. I would kindly ask that you read the article to see the creationist position.

Where is the evidence that DNA was perfect at one point?
DNA is a code not a story. Thus it is not like a book.

The evidence is that DNA keeps getting worse, as our mutational load builds up. This is consistent with creation which was perefect but is now being ruined. Like I said, it is CONSISTENT with creation.

Have a good one,
God bless.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
"Actually, it's not the same thing scientifically. Many TE believe that God guided the process, and sometimes even intervened. This is far different than pruposeless randomness.

Yes, that is the same thing scientifically.
Many TE believe that God used an untestable way outside the universe to guide the process. They accept the theory of evolution, the same theory agnostics and atheists accept.
An example, lets say someone wins the lottery. Was it random chance? Or did God make them win? No one knows and it is impossible to test for God. All we know is that it is possible for someone to randomly win.

Theistic Evolutionists believe that the natural process of evolution, including random mutation is capable of creating the diversity of life. Reading through the post you seem to be confused. Evolution is not atheism. It is possible to believe God created using evolution, that is the belief of many theistic evolutionists.

"A computer program would never be adequate to replicate evolutionism, because we don't even know the full details about living things. There is still much to know. Moreoever, any program would have to be adding fictional details about mutational information gain and how often it happens, considering we never see that happen now. Any program will not replicate evolutionism."

To replicate the exact course evolution took. No, of course not.
To use the theory of evolution to create "organisms" that adapt and change to fit their environment. Yes programs can.
To use the theory of evolution to design objects such as wings or oscillating circuits to adapt to an environment. Yes programs can.

1. I explained why any program will not work.

No, you haven't explained why these programs don't use the same mechanisms of evolution. It should be noted that none of the programs made were intended to try and repeat evolution on earth but to show that the mechanisms of evolution (Mutations, natural selection) can adapt "organisms" to an environment or to develop new designs of many made objects.

2. Logic tells us that design is produced by intelligence. Any design that we know of has a purpose by an intelligent agent. Even snow flakes have a preprogrammed code in order to form the way they do.

This doesn't answer the question. I asked "How does logic say intelligence is needed to formulate purposeful design?" the answer "Logic tells us that design is produced by intelligence" is a reformulation of the question.
It is the naturalistic properties of atoms that forms crystals. Whether a designer created these properties is outside the realm of science. The design of a snowflake is created by naturalistic means.

3. Design is purposeful when the design does something. For example, scribbles on a paper probably could be considered design, but it certainly is not purposeful.
4. Living organisms are purposeful design. A chair is purposeful design. Reading glasses are purposeful design. Design which has a purpose. Simple.

In that case, evolution creates purposeful design. Mutations provide raw material and natural selections organizes this material based on how purposeful it is. Since a beneficial mutation obviously has a purpose or else it wouldn't be beneficial. Matter of fact, evolution has been seen to throw away designs that aren't purposeful. Eyes don't have a purpose in pitch black, and thus some trilobites lost their eyes.

If evolution can create a purposeful design, then it can't be used as evidence to support an intelligent designer over evolution.

You are still not getting it, Arikay. I am not saying I don't know, so X. I am saying life experience indicates design is produced by intelligence.

Evidence says that not all design is produce by intelligence.

Evolutionary scientists have taken the argument from ignorance position, not me. They are basically saying we don't know how things could be similar without evolution, so they must have evolved.

Incorrect.
Scientists say that all the evidence points towards evolution, other scientific theories have been falsified and there is no other scientific explanation can be found. Thus evolution is most likely what happened.
Scientists understand that there are other possibilities, such as the possibility that God created everything to appear as if it evolved, but that isn't science.

The fossil record shows us massive discontinuity, and very few questionable transitional fossils.

Where does it show discontinuity?
Is it enough to question the transitional fossils found?
How are they questionable?

You need to support your statements.

These fossils are interpreted based on assumptions, and I am not really convinced that the evolutionary assumptions are logical or rational. They are based on ignorance. If you are using the fossil record to support your view of common ancestry, then you are in deep trouble, because it yields terrible results for your hypothesis. There should be millions upon millions OBVIOUS transitionals as by your theory, yet we do not see such things. Instead, you base your arguments on a very few questionable fossils. Even Darwin, as you know, talked about the necessity of trnasitionals for his theory to be true.

Exactly what assumptions?
Exactly how obvious?
Fossilization is rare and most of the time only preserves hard parts, so not only do we miss quite a few species because they never fossilize, but we wont be able to see many of the changes in an animals soft tissue. Punk eek (which has been supported) shows that it may be even harder than we expected to find these transitional fossils, and we have obviously not found every one in existence. The idea that there should be millions of different transitional fossils is based on old and misunderstood ideas.

Evidence of design is evident in all organisms. There is no doubt about this. Therefore, the burden is on the evolutionists to show why this design is due to natural forces. All of logic says that design does not form by naturalism.
Also, if evolution is false, then please tell me what other theory could possibly be viable?

I thought you said Intelligent design was not based on an argument from ignorance? Saying that if evolution can't explain it, it must be ID, is exactly that.
If evolution is wrong, then I don't know. without positive evidence for ID, it isn't anymore valid than any other guess.
So far you haven't shown how logic says design does not form by naturalism.

No, you are wrong. ID is based on, "If it looks designed, and its only competing opponent can't account for its obvious design, then we are left with what is obvious, that there is a Designer." This isn't a shocking fallacy, it's common sense. I know you don't hink common sense applies to designed organisms, but if evolution isn't plausible, then obviously it does

Again, without positive evidence you are saying, "I don't know how this design came about, thus God." It's God of the gaps. You need to show that the jump from, "it looks designed" to "That means a supernatural intelligent designer" is a valid one. To do that you need to provide support that this supernatural intelligent designer exists. You also need to show that evolution can't account for the design seen.

An example of why this jump isn't valid. Lets say we aren't sure how the egyptians built the pyramids. Does that mean aliens must have done it?

You originally claimed that Behe is an evolutionist like creationists are, or something of the sort. I claimed that you were wrong, Behe is much more of an evolutionist than creationists are, as he believes what type can transform into a fundamentally different type. To me, and obviously AiG, that means he is an evolutionist, because he certainly is not a creationist. He believes one kind can turn into another.

I said that based on your definition of an evolutionist, creationists could also be considered evolutionists. The fact that Behe is closer to evolutionists doesn't change the definition you gave and doesn't change the fact that he is Not an evolutionist.
Ok, so now AiG is able to define what an evolutionist is, even when it contradicts what both evolutionists and IDists say. Wow, how arrogant and dishonest of AiG.

Behe himself does not accept the theory of evolution as the explanation for the diversity of life, and thus is not an evolutionist. Even if he does not believe in YEC it doesn't make him an evolutionist, as this isn't a black and white issue. Sorry, there is no way around that, AiG was dishonest when they called him an evolutionist.

Also, your implication is that Denton refuted his original work and became an evolutionist. Well, not completely accurate. Denton still does not accept Darwinism, so by your own definition of an evolutionist, he is not an evolutionist, but an Intelligent Designist. I would agree with your original statement of course, that Denton is an evolutionist, that's why we can call Behe one too. Were you under the impression that Denton was a Darwinist now? If so, why?

As I have said before, I think you are confused about what an evolutionist is, vs and IDist. An evolutionist accepts the theory of evolution as the explanation for the diversity of life. A theistic evolutionists believes that God created using evolution and may have even guided it in untestable ways, as explained above. An IDist believes that the theory of evolution is incomplete, that it can't account for the diversity of life and that God must intervene in certain aspects to create what evolution could not.

So, is Denton a theistic evolutionist or an IDist.
From Denton's book, "Nature's Destiny."
"it is important to emphasize at the outset that the argument presented here is entirely consistent with the basic naturalistic assumption of modern science - that the cosmos is a seamless unity which can be comprehended ultimately in its entirety by human reason and in which all phenomena, including life and evolution and the origin of man, are ultimately explicable in terms of natural processes. "
http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/latest_2003/theory-in-crisis.html
Sounds like an evolutionist to me. He does believe evolution was guided but that evolution did happen. Reading quotes from his book, it does seem like some thoughts from ID have stuck with him but his statements that he fully supports evolution seem to be supported.

First of all, let's see an example of what you mean by number 1.

Some can be found on the forum, where creationists have asked for a transitional between two others and ignored the data the two transitional fossils provided. Basically it is similar to your request for a smooth fossil record. We know that we wont find one, but that what we have found can provide evidence for a transitional.

Second, creationists are simply saying that evolutionists are too eager and prematurely deem something a transitional when there are other logical explanations.

What other logical explanations are there for why a detailed look into fossils shows steps from one animal to another. When organized into date or morphology we get the same lineage.

Moreover, as I said before, the fossil record should be absolutely littered with transitional creatures that are vastly different from the forms of today. While there are different looking creatures in the record, they are not that different from the creatures of today. The ways to solve this by evolutionists is to postulate unsubstantiated stories.

I have already explained why the fossil record shouldn't be littered with transitional creatures. Based on evolution it makes perfect sense why there are similarities between ancient fossils and animals of today, because the animals of today evolved from those ancient animals, thus retaining certain aspects of them.

AiG has an article on whale evolution, which you should read. It can be found at: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/re1/chapter5.asp
This link should refute all of your alleged fossil evidence of transitional whale fossils. I would kindly ask that you read the article to see the creationist position.

I thought we were going to debate the validity of the flood. Not only is there nothing more given than the link, in a debate the general idea is to write things, at least a bit more than a link to a large page.
Yes, I have read that page before, along with quite a few other AiG and general creationist papers on whale evolution.
Since I have read it before and have some of the information on hand, I'll post a response.

The evidence is that DNA keeps getting worse, as our mutational load builds up. This is consistent with creation which was perefect but is now being ruined. Like I said, it is CONSISTENT with creation.

What evidence?
What does worse mean in this context?
Can you show me the evidence that shows DNA keeps getting worse?
If DNA is getting "worse" doesn't mean it was perfect at one point, so please show me how it was perfect. Explain exactly what "perfect" human DNA would look like.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
The AiG paper

Wonderful Whales
Here they mainly talk about what the adaptations of a whale.
One thing to expand on briefly. Whales don't completely lack hair. In the womb they begin to develop hair but most of it is lost except a few bristles around the lips.

"because until the lipids were fully formed and at least partly in the right place and shape, they would have been of no use."

Not much here except a claim that something can't evolve because it would have had no use. As you have said, just because something appears to have no use, doesn't mean it's true.

Missing links
"Evolutionists believe that whales evolved from some form of land mammal. According to Teaching about Evolution , page 18, they ‘evolved from a primitive group of hoofed mammals called Mesonychids .’"

This is outdated. Current evidence shows that whales are a form of Artiodactyl that took to the water after the family split with Mesonychids. Early whales were Artiodactyls that retained features of the Mesonychids.

"One of them is to get rid of its pelvis. This would tend to crush the reproductive orifice with propulsive tail movements. But a shrinking pelvis would not be able to support the hind-limbs needed for walking. So the hypothetical transitional form would be unsuited to both land and sea, and hence be extremely vulnerable."

The fossils show that the pelvis did indeed shrink. A shrinking pelvis would be able to support the hindlimbs until they were no longer needed. The pelvis would shrink in proportion to the use of it's tail. The ability to swim even slightly better than land animals that might hunt the early whales does not make them extremely vulnerable as long as they stay around water. It would actually provide a way for them to escape and survive.

"Also, the hind part of the body must twist on the fore part, so the tail's sideways movement can be converted to a vertical movement."

There is no evidence the tail movement needed to be converted. The tail is an extension of the spine which can move up and down quite well, a movement which is needed for running on land. The only evidence AiG provides for this sideways movement is in another article where they compare the side to side swishing of a cows tail to the primitive wales. A poor comparison.

"The lack of transitional forms in the fossil record was realized by evolutionary whale experts like the late E.J. Slijper: ‘We do not possess a single fossil of the transitional forms between the aforementioned land animals [i.e., carnivores and ungulates] and the whales.’ 3"

If we take a look at the source for this quote, we see it is from 1962. AiG had to go back to 1962 (before much of the evidence was discovered) to provide a quote from a scientist who says we don't have fossils. What was the point?

"The lowest whale fossils in the fossil record show they were completely aquatic from the first time they appeared."

Untrue, mainly because this is out of date. Pakicetus is generally considered one of the first whales and was primarily a land mammal.

"The Discover list (below) is identical to the Teaching about Evolution series except that the latter has Basilosaurus as the fourth creature and the Discover list has ‘dates’:
Mesonychid (55 million years ago)
Ambulocetus (50 million years ago)
Rodhocetus (46 million years ago)
Prozeuglodon (40 million years ago)"

Again, out of date and you should have known that if you looked at the list of fossils I gave you (which I believe even it is becoming outdated). Although AiG tries to update this article later, it is obvious that it is a reply to a now out of date article. Since this is all you provided for the debate I would expect you to at least make sure the information was up to date.

Ambulocetus
"This article shows that the critical skeletal elements necessary to establish the transition from non-swimming land mammal to whale are (conveniently) missing (see diagram). Therefore, grand claims about the significance of the fossils cannot be critically evaluated. The evolutionary biologist Annalisa Berta commented on the Ambulocetus fossil: "

1) The skull can tell us a lot of information. The teeth and ear designs in the 1994 fossils show that this animal was most likely related to whales. whales have a specific ear design that isn't found in any other animal, thus a similar ear design can point towards a relation.

2) This hasn't been true since 1996, a picture of the Ambulocetus fossils,
ambulocetus.jpg

It is interesting that even though AiG has updated this article, they failed to update the fact that a more complete skeleton has been found. They even provide a quote from 1994 of the scientist who later found the remaining skeleton in 1996. AiG tries to dodge this find in an update to another article (http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v8/i1/whale.asp) where they claim that the new find hasn't been properly peer reviewed, thus it isn't valid. Using that logic, practically nothing on AiG's site is valid. It is also not true as not only are the fossils from the same animal that AiG accepted earlier but Thewissen has published papers in 1996 and 2001 that refer to this find. AiG then goes on to say that even if these fossils are true, it doesn't mean anything. Again trying to dodge the fact that they are in error, and their claims that large parts of the ambulocetus fossils are missing is false.

Basilosaurus

Their entire complaint about Basilosaurus seems to be how it was drawn. Yes it is much larger than previous fossils. They downplay the important parts of this fossil. Such as the small but still existent hind-limb. The Dorudontids lived around the same time and were considerably smaller than the Basilosaurus.

Pakicetus
"A prominent whale expert, Thewissen, and colleagues unearthed some more bones of Pakicetus , and published their work in the journal Nature .13 The commentary on this paper in the same issue 14 says, ‘All the postcranial bones indicate that pakicetids were land mammals, and … indicate that the animals were runners, with only their feet touching the ground.’ (See illustration, above right.) "

Read the quote carefully, "All the postcranial bones" so what about the cranial bones? Guess what, they show aspects of whales. The cranial bones in the pakicetus show the beginning development of an ear made for underwater hearing. although the pakicetus's ear is poor at underwater hearing it is better than normal land mammals. This ear design is only found in whales. So we have a fossil that has an ear allowing it better hearing underwater, but walks well on land. Sounds like the beginning of the transition from land to water.

Vestigial legs
"Many evolutionists support whale evolution by alleging that there are vestigial hind legs buried in their flesh. However, these so-called ‘remnants’ are not useless at all, but help strengthen the reproductive organs—the bones are different in males and females."

It is important to understand that evolutionists do not claim vestigial organs are useless. Vestigial means something that is rudimentary or stunted, degenerated or not used for it's original purpose.

"One myth promulgated by some evolutionists says that some whales have been found with hind legs, complete with thigh and knee muscles. However, this story probably grew by legendary accretion from a true account of a real sperm whale with a 5.5 inch (14 cm) bump with a 5-inch (12 cm) piece of bone inside. "

whale_leg.jpg

Figure 2.2.1. Bones from the atavistic hind-limbs of a humpback whale. A. From top to bottom, the cartiliginous femur, tibia, tarsus, and metatarsal, arranged as found in situ in the whale. B. Enlarged detail of the femur and tibia shown in A. (scale is not the same as A). C. Detail of the tarsus and metatarsal shown in A. (Image reproduced from Andrews 1921, Figures 2, 3, and 4.)
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section2.html
That's a bit bigger than 5 inches.

AiG's whale leg article (http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i3/whale_leg.asp) chooses to ignore this piece of evidence, and never addresses it.

Conclusion
This article is out of date and in some places misleading and does not refute whale evolution.

Upvote 0