✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 20:8-11
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days (1) the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he (2) rested on the (3) seventh day. Therefore the LORD (4) blessed the Sabbath day and made it (5) holy.”

Some people believe that the Sabbath finds its origin in the book of Exodus. They claim that one cannot establish it’s existence any earlier since the term “Sabbath” is not used prior to Exodus 16. But is this position justified? What is it that makes the Sabbath the Sabbath? For the sake of clarity I’ve numbered the various elements in the passage above that, when combined, make up the Sabbath.

(1) Creation of heavens and earth
(2) Rest
(3) Seventh day
(4) Blessed
(5) Holy

There you see the five elements that make up what we know as the Sabbath. Now let’s compare this Exodus passage with the creation account found in Genesis and see those same five elements again:

Genesis 2:1-3
“So the (1) creation of the heavens and the earth and everything in them was completed. On the (3) seventh day, having finished his task, God (2) rested from all his work. And God (4) blessed the seventh day and declared it (5) holy, because it was the day when he rested from his work of creation.”

Not only do we find the same five elements in both passages of Scripture, but we also find very similar phraseology.

From Genesis:
“... And God (4) blessed the seventh day and declared it (5) holy,”

From Exodus:
“... the LORD (4) blessed the Sabbath day and made it (5) holy.”

Did you notice in the Exodus text that in the midst of its almost direct quote from Genesis the word Sabbath is substituted for the the word “seventh”?

The book of Genesis is a book of origins, not commands and the Sabbath has its origin right at the very beginning of the book. The title “Sabbath” is not there, but it is the Sabbath none-the-less.

Imagine discovering two objects the are exactly comprised of the same five elements. Each has (1) a spring, (2) a catch, (3) a hammer, (4) a hold-down bar, all mounted to (5) a platform. The only difference between these two exact objects is that one of them has the words "mouse trap" printed on it. To argue that the Genesis account is not the Sabbath simply because the title is not given is similar to arguing that a mouse trap is not a mouse trap simply because the words “mouse trap” are not emblazoned on it. A mouse trap is a mouse trap because of the elements that when combined function for the purpose of catching mice. The title is superfluous to its ability to function in its intended purpose.
Mousetrap.png

I believe those who dispute the Genesis origin of the Sabbath do so because of the incredible weight it carries against their tenuous supposition that the Sabbath is some sort of a ceremonial ordinance that came to an end in the Christian era. If they can somehow negate the fact of a creation institution for the Sabbath then they feel they are in a much softer setting to apply the Sabbath strictly to the Jews. But since the Sabbath is clearly a creation institution there are obviously no Jews around. Jesus Himself tells us that “the Sabbath was made for human beings....” He doesn’t say that is was made for the Jew. Also notice that Jesus says it was "made". In other words, it was created by His own act of resting, blessing and making holy the seventh day of creation.

The Sabbath was also instituted prior to the fall of Adam and Eve, so there was no sin and no sinner. Thus it is not an institution that would need to come to an end at any point in the future.

I pray this helps.

But for the grace of God go I,cyspark

Also by Icyspark: Ten Reasons I'm a Sabbatarian

Last edited:

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The 7th day Sabbath of the Lord is a continuous reminder that He is the creator and a day created by Him to spend dedicated time with Him. It is truly a blessing and a delight.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 20:8-11
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days (1) the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he (2) rested on the (3) seventh day. Therefore the LORD (4) blessed the Sabbath day and made it (5) holy.”

Some people believe that the Sabbath finds its origin in the book of Exodus. They claim that one cannot establish it’s existence any earlier since the term “Sabbath” is not used prior to Exodus 16. But is this position justified? What is it that makes the Sabbath the Sabbath? For the sake of clarity I’ve numbered the various elements in the passage above that, when combined, make up the Sabbath.

(1) Creation of heavens and earth
(2) Rest
(3) Seventh day
(4) Blessed
(5) Holy

There you see the five elements that make up what we know as the Sabbath. Now let’s compare this Exodus passage with the creation account found in Genesis and see those same five elements again:

Genesis 2:1-3
“So the (1) creation of the heavens and the earth and everything in them was completed. On the (3) seventh day, having finished his task, God (2) rested from all his work. And God (4) blessed the seventh day and declared it (5) holy, because it was the day when he rested from his work of creation.”

Not only do we find the same five elements in both passages of Scripture, but we also find very similar phraseology.

From Genesis:
“... And God (4) blessed the seventh day and declared it (5) holy,”

From Exodus:
“... the LORD (4) blessed the Sabbath day and made it (5) holy.”

Did you notice in the Exodus text that in the midst of its almost direct quote from Genesis the word Sabbath is substituted for the the word “seventh”?

The book of Genesis is a book of origins, not commands and the Sabbath has its origin right at the very beginning of the book. The title “Sabbath” is not there, but it is the Sabbath none-the-less.

Imagine discovering two objects the are exactly comprised of the same five elements. Each has (1) a spring, (2) a catch, (3) a hammer, (4) a hold-down bar, all mounted to (5) a platform. The only difference between these two exact objects is that one of them has the words "mouse trap" printed on it. To argue that the Genesis account is not the Sabbath simply because the title is not given is similar to arguing that a mouse trap is not a mouse trap simply because the words “mouse trap” are not emblazoned on it. A mouse trap is a mouse trap because of the elements that when combined function for the purpose of catching mice. The title is superfluous to its ability to function in its intended purpose.
View attachment 319040

I believe those who dispute the Genesis origin of the Sabbath do so because of the incredible weight it carries against their tenuous supposition that the Sabbath is some sort of a ceremonial ordinance that came to an end in the Christian era. If they can somehow negate the fact of a creation institution for the Sabbath then they feel they are in a much softer setting to apply the Sabbath strictly to the Jews. But since the Sabbath is clearly a creation institution there are obviously no Jews around. Jesus Himself tells us that “the Sabbath was made for human beings....” He doesn’t say that is was made for the Jew. Also notice that Jesus says it was "made". In other words, it was created by His own act of resting, blessing and making holy the seventh day of creation.

The Sabbath was also instituted prior to the fall of Adam and Eve, so there was no sin and no sinner. Thus it is not an institution that would need to come to an end at any point in the future.

I pray this helps.

Also by Icyspark: Ten Reasons I'm a Sabbatarian
Hi Icyspark,

I agree that the seventh day was blessed from the beginning.

Whether the Sabbath commandment as it stands in Exodus 20 was given on that first seventh day, well... we don't have a record of it.
...tenuous supposition that the Sabbath is some sort of a ceremonial ordinance...
Myself, I'm not convinced that there are ceremonial ordinances or laws. The word Ceremonial doesn't occur in the King James.

BibleGateway - Keyword Search: ceremonial

We could try searching a different translation, if you know of one that talks about ceremonial ordinances.

• Friendly
Reactions: Icyspark
Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Icyspark,

I agree that the seventh day was blessed from the beginning.

Hi Leaf473,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

For whom do you suppose the Sabbath was blessed? Do you think God blessed the day for Himself? Or rather, do you suppose that the blessing He placed upon the Sabbath was for the humans He just created? ("The Sabbath was made for human beings...")

Whether the Sabbath commandment as it stands in Exodus 20 was given on that first seventh day, well... we don't have a record of it.

Certainly that's the case--no command. But as I noted in the opening post, Genesis is a book of origins, not commands. That's why even though there is no divinely revealed command against murder, God still confronted Cain ahead of his murderous event and told him "sin is lurking at your door." The word "sin" is tied to "transgression of the law" and "people are not judged for sin when there is no law." It seems pretty apparent that while there is no command recorded in Genesis against murder it is still known as sin many years prior to any later prohibitions. Then too, Cain was punished for murdering his brother. If Cain could claim he honestly didn't know murder was prohibited then God's punishment would have to be arbitrary.

Myself, I'm not convinced that there are ceremonial ordinances or laws. The word Ceremonial doesn't occur in the King James.

BibleGateway - Keyword Search: ceremonial

We could try searching a different translation, if you know of one that talks about ceremonial ordinances.

It is not my contention that the Sabbath is ceremonial. That is what some critics claim in their attempts to rationalize why they don't wish to observe God's holy day.

God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Leaf473,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

For whom do you suppose the Sabbath was blessed? Do you think God blessed the day for Himself? Or rather, do you suppose that the blessing He placed upon the Sabbath was for the humans He just created? ("The Sabbath was made for human beings...")

Certainly that's the case--no command. But as I noted in the opening post, Genesis is a book of origins, not commands. That's why even though there is no divinely revealed command against murder, God still confronted Cain ahead of his murderous event and told him "sin is lurking at your door." The word "sin" is tied to "transgression of the law" and "people are not judged for sin when there is no law." It seems pretty apparent that while there is no command recorded in Genesis against murder it is still known as sin many years prior to any later prohibitions. Then too, Cain was punished for murdering his brother. If Cain could claim he honestly didn't know murder was prohibited then God's punishment would have to be arbitrary.

It is not my contention that the Sabbath is ceremonial. That is what some critics claim in their attempts to rationalize why they don't wish to observe God's holy day.

God bless!

Looking at the Hebrew word for bless, it looks like it can be used a lot of different ways. My thinking is he didn't bless the Sabbath for someone, but rather he blessed it in the sense of eulogize, as in say good things about, or salute.

I'd say that possibly Cain wasn't punished for breaking the letter of a particular commandment, but for going against his knowledge of good and evil, which he inherited from his parents, as we all do.

Now if you're just saying to keep the basic idea of the Sabbath, then I'm all in for that!

I understand you don't think the Sabbath is a ceremonial law. But it was my impression that you did think that some laws were ceremonial.

Unless a person identifies as Messianic (I'm on a cell phone here, so I haven't checked your profile page), they divide the law into some form of moral parts and ceremonial parts. Sometimes the names differ, sometimes they add more categories. That's based on my experience in talking about the law with people.

Peace be with you, my friend!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Until we notice the wording in Rev 20:8-11 and the wording in Gen 2:1-3 as well as the fact that 'remember' is used as opposed to "I now institute this new idea".

In any case the point is essentially moot since the majority of both Sabbath keeping and non-Sabbath keeping scholarship in mainline Christianity already admit to it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'd say that possibly Cain wasn't punished for breaking the letter of a particular commandment, but for going against his knowledge of good and evil, !

by contrast the Bible says "sin IS transgression of the Law" by definition and in Gen 4 God tells Cain "SIN" is crouching at your door - but you must master it.

Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Looking at the Hebrew word for bless, it looks like it can be used a lot of different ways. My thinking is he didn't bless the Sabbath for someone, but rather he blessed it in the sense of eulogize, as in say good things about, or salute.

Hi Leaf473,

Here's what Easton's Bible Dictionary has for its entry on "bless":

Bless
(1.) God blesses his people when he bestows on them some gift temporal or spiritual (Gen. 1:22; 24:35; Job 42:12; Ps. 45:2; 104:24, 35).
(2.) We bless God when we thank him for his mercies (Ps. 103:1, 2; 145:1, 2).
(3.) A man blesses himself when he invokes God's blessing (Isa. 65:16), or rejoices in God's goodness to him (Deut. 29:19; Ps. 49:18).
(4.) One blesses another when he expresses good wishes or offers prayer to God for his welfare (Gen. 24:60; 31:55; 1 Sam. 2:20). Sometimes blessings were uttered under divine inspiration, as in the case of Noah, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses (Gen. 9:26, 27; 27:28, 29, 40; 48:15-20; 49:1-28; Deut. 33). The priests were divinely authorized to bless the people (Deut. 10:8; Num. 6:22-27). We have many examples of apostolic benediction (2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 6:23, 24; 2 Thess. 3:16, 18; Heb. 13:20, 21; 1 Pet. 5:10, 11).
(5.) Among the Jews in their thank-offerings the master of the feast took a cup of wine in his hand, and after having blessed God for it and for other mercies then enjoyed, handed it to his guests, who all partook of it. Ps. 116:13 refers to this custom. It is also alluded to in 1 Cor. 10:16, where the apostle speaks of the "cup of blessing.

I'm not seeing where your option would fit in here. I'm thinking #1 seems the most obvious/apparent.

I'd say that possibly Cain wasn't punished for breaking the letter of a particular commandment, but for going against his knowledge of good and evil, which he inherited from his parents, as we all do.

You appear to be ignoring the substance of my post since this was already addressed. But let me just reiterate what I said previously. Sin is not an arbitrary word into which we can pour our own meaning. The Bible declares that sin is "transgression of the law" and "people are not judged for sin when there is no law." If God takes Cain aside and admonishes him that sin is not to be his master then I'm curious what you think that means. Contextually icy that God is attempting to intervene in Cain's plan to murder his brother.

In my mind Cain supposedly inheriting a "knowledge of good and evil" from his parents is more problematic than a direct knowledge of what specifically constitutes sin. After all, if what they understood as right and wrong, good and evil was merely a burning in their bosoms (a Mormon concept) then any sensation they felt could be deemed whichever side of the coin they chose. God doesn't allow for us to determine what is right and wrong, what is sinful or righteous. He decides and He reveals this to His creatures. If not then he is arbitrary and not good in the sense which the Bible portrays Him.

Now if you're just saying to keep the basic idea of the Sabbath, then I'm all in for that!

Consider this. Imagine Adam and Eve in the garden. They've been commanded not to eat from a specific tree. But now they become enamored (i.e. tempted) with that particular forbidden tree that they start to imagine, "What if?" What if God only wants us to not eat from one tree in the garden? As long as I don't eat from one tree isn't that the same thing as not eating from the one He specified?" Will God be persuaded by their "superior" reasoning skills?

It seems like that may've been Cain's problem as well. We're not told specifically what the issue was. There are no revealed directions for what constituted an acceptable offering which Cain and Abel were to bring. Yet Cain's offering of fruit was rejected and Abel's offering of the "firstborn of his flock and of their fat" (cf. Exodus 13:12; Numbers 18:17) was accepted.

I understand you don't think the Sabbath is a ceremonial law. But it was my impression that you did think that some laws were ceremonial.

Unless a person identifies as Messianic (I'm on a cell phone here, so I haven't checked your profile page), they divide the law into some form of moral parts and ceremonial parts. Sometimes the names differ, sometimes they add more categories. That's based on my experience in talking about the law with people.

Peace be with you, my friend!

I shared this post in response to another poster's contentions that the Sabbath is some sort of "ceremonial ordinance."

Leviticus is certainly full of ceremonial aspects of the law which was written by Moses in a book (as opposed to the Ten Commandment covenant which was written on stone by God's own finger). See for example Leviticus 4:12; 5:2; 6:11; 7:19; 10:14; 11:4, etc.

I pray this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Until we notice the wording in Rev 20:8-11 and the wording in Gen 2:1-3 as well as the fact that 'remember' is used as opposed to "I now institute this new idea".

In any case the point is essentially moot since the majority of both Sabbath keeping and non-Sabbath keeping scholarship in mainline Christianity already admit to it.
I don't see a connection between Revelation 20 and Genesis 2. If you want to give more details, that would be great!

It doesn't have to be a dichotomy between either at creation or mount Sinai. The Israelites seem to know what the Sabbath day is at Sinai.

The topic of the thread is Creation Sabbath Origin, so I don't think it's moot to note that the first record of the Sabbath as a commandment is at Sinai.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
by contrast the Bible says "sin IS transgression of the Law" by definition and in Gen 4 God tells Cain "SIN" is crouching at your door - but you must master it.
I think a better translation is sin is lawlessness, or sin is rebellion.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We have Paul quoting that he would not know what sin is except through the law- direct reference to the Ten Commandments.

Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” - Found in Exodus 20

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Leaf473,

Here's what Easton's Bible Dictionary has for its entry on "bless":

Bless
(1.) God blesses his people when he bestows on them some gift temporal or spiritual (Gen. 1:22; 24:35; Job 42:12; Ps. 45:2; 104:24, 35).

(2.) We bless God when we thank him for his mercies (Ps. 103:1, 2; 145:1, 2).

(3.) A man blesses himself when he invokes God's blessing (Isa. 65:16), or rejoices in God's goodness to him (Deut. 29:19; Ps. 49:18).

(4.) One blesses another when he expresses good wishes or offers prayer to God for his welfare (Gen. 24:60; 31:55; 1 Sam. 2:20). Sometimes blessings were uttered under divine inspiration, as in the case of Noah, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses (Gen. 9:26, 27; 27:28, 29, 40; 48:15-20; 49:1-28; Deut. 33). The priests were divinely authorized to bless the people (Deut. 10:8; Num. 6:22-27). We have many examples of apostolic benediction (2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 6:23, 24; 2 Thess. 3:16, 18; Heb. 13:20, 21; 1 Pet. 5:10, 11).

(5.) Among the Jews in their thank-offerings the master of the feast took a cup of wine in his hand, and after having blessed God for it and for other mercies then enjoyed, handed it to his guests, who all partook of it. Ps. 116:13 refers to this custom. It is also alluded to in 1 Cor. 10:16, where the apostle speaks of the "cup of blessing.

I'm not seeing where your option would fit in here. I'm thinking #1 seems the most obvious/apparent.

You appear to be ignoring the substance of my post since this was already addressed. But let me just reiterate what I said previously. Sin is not an arbitrary word into which we can pour our own meaning. The Bible declares that sin is "transgression of the law" and "people are not judged for sin when there is no law." If God takes Cain aside and admonishes him that sin is not to be his master then I'm curious what you think that means. Contextually icy that God is attempting to intervene in Cain's plan to murder his brother.

In my mind Cain supposedly inheriting a "knowledge of good and evil" from his parents is more problematic than a direct knowledge of what specifically constitutes sin. After all, if what they understood as right and wrong, good and evil was merely a burning in their bosoms (a Mormon concept) then any sensation they felt could be deemed whichever side of the coin they chose. God doesn't allow for us to determine what is right and wrong, what is sinful or righteous. He decides and He reveals this to His creatures. If not then he is arbitrary and not good in the sense which the Bible portrays Him.

Consider this. Imagine Adam and Eve in the garden. They've been commanded not to eat from a specific tree. But now they become enamored (i.e. tempted) with that particular forbidden tree that they start to imagine, "What if?" What if God only wants us to not eat from one tree in the garden? As long as I don't eat from one tree isn't that the same thing as not eating from the one He specified?" Will God be persuaded by their "superior" reasoning skills?

It seems like that may've been Cain's problem as well. We're not told specifically what the issue was. There are no revealed directions for what constituted an acceptable offering which Cain and Abel were to bring. Yet Cain's offering of fruit was rejected and Abel's offering of the "firstborn of his flock and of their fat" (cf. Exodus 13:12; Numbers 18:17).

I shared this post in response to another poster's contentions that the Sabbath is some sort of "ceremonial ordinance."

Leviticus is certainly full of ceremonial aspects of the law which was written by Moses in a book (as opposed to the Ten Commandment covenant which was written on stone by God's own finger). See for example Leviticus 4:12; 5:2; 6:11; 7:19; 10:14; 11:4, etc.

I pray this helps.

I was looking at this:
Strong's Hebrew: 1288. בָּרַך (barak) -- to kneel, bless

Note that it's a primitive root, so there's going to be a lot of leeway imo.

I went back and reread your post. It seems to rely heavily on the definition of sin as being Transgression of the law. Therefore, in order for God to be talking to Cain about sin, the law almost have been there.

An awful lot depends the famous passage, Sin is transgression of the law.

But if you look at that in the original, what's being equated with sin is Anomia, or not-law.

You don't think we as humans inherited our knowledge of Good and evil from Adam and Eve?

We are told the reasoning of Eve in the garden. She sees that the fruit is good for giving a person wisdom.

I believe Abel brings the first born, or something. A valuable offering. Cain brings some vegetables. That may have been the difference.

I understand you don't see the Sabbath as ceremonial. But it looks like you do believe some laws are ceremonial. Do the scriptures call those laws Ceremonial? I certainly can't find such a passage.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I can understand that you might find fault with the KJV just then as if "lawlessness" is not "transgression of the law". For many it appears to be "a distinction without a difference".

And of course KJV makes it very apparent at that point what is being stated in Gen 4.

there are more texts "not to look at" in the case of not liking the statement "Sin is transgression of the Law" in 1 John 3:4 ...

Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression. KJV

15 because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression. NKJV

15 for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation. NASB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have Paul quoting that he would not know what sin is except through the law- direct reference to the Ten Commandments.

Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” - Found in Exodus 20
True! He also says in chapter 2
For as many as have sinned without the law will also perish without the law.

imo, this is why it's good to deal with lengthy passages, and even with books as a whole, as opposed to finding a word in one place and connecting it to another place that uses the same word.

Words have a range of meanings, again imo.

Upvote 0