Couples - How do you share Faith at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Broadley

quam pulchra es amica mea quam pulchra
Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
OK, calling all you couples out there

Do you have shared devotional time together?

Is that on a daily basis or less often?

What do you do?

How long do you spend on average?

This is something that Laura and I are trying to make an established part of our day to day lives together. Each of us have always yearned to be in a situation where this is possible, and in the past have not been able to do. So it is all kinda new to us both.

Last year, before we were together as a couple, we each had a copy of a book called 15 minute devotions for couples, and we used to share devotional time together over the phone. We were never really happy with this book though. It was rather 'gushy' and too 'American' (no offence intended) for us.

Then in August when we finally got together as a couple and a family, the sheer chaos of establishing a home and other problems, meant that our devotional time together kinda died out, although we maintained our own individual time.

Then, just before Christmas, Laura found another book called One year of devotions for couples, and we have now started using that. It seems to suit us much better than the other one but we have only just started it so time will tell

I wondered then what other couples do?

Obviously, what works for one couple may well not work for another, but your suggestions and advice would be most welcome.

Not least of which being, how do you make sure you have this time together each day when there are 999 other things clamouring for your time and attention, and when you are both dead beat?

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Laura found another book called One year of devotions for couples
This sounds good! Maybe I'll try to pick up a copy. My DH and I don't really do any devotions together. :( We were going to start doing Compline (Night Prayer) together, but it never actually started going. Life seems too busy. But I would really like to do something. Other than attending Sunday Worship together, that is.

Something that has happened since I've started training, though, is a lot more theological discussions with DH. It's not the same thing, of course, but it is good for us. :)

Upvote 0

AngCath

Jul 7, 2005
✟12,588.00
Faith
Anglican
My wife often attends the Daily Office and Mass at the seminary with me.

Not least of which being, how do you make sure you have this time together each day when there are 999 other things clamouring for your time and attention, and when you are both dead beat?

This last question is the toughest one for us since both our schedules are over-booked. Except in rare occasions, I never stay at the seminary past Evening Prayer so that I can make sure to go home and be a husband.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.