Apr 21, 2006
✟36,318.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I suggest a photo of a laying of the hands in a ordination

Here some exemple:

- from the British Orthodox church coptic patriarcate (link)
114b_clip_image004.jpg

or

- from St Peter (link)
r3503184662.jpg

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How about an icon of the Last Supper?

LetzteMahlTheophanes.jpg

Because:
-Christ is there.
-the Apostles are there, and we here have Apostolic Succession (or can at least claim it with legitimate support!)
-it is the first Eucharist; one of the things we all have (Real Presence as well!)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Good ideas, guys. However, those pictured scenes don't seem exactly what is usually meant by a logo (or emblem).

I'd suggest some episcopal vestment, etc. but it's hard to think of any which would be the same for all the churches. A bishop's pectoral cross perhaps, i.e. an elaborate cross on a chain like this --

. .
. .
. .
+

(except with the chain links flaring towards the top as in a "Y" that I can't reproduce on the keyboard)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd be biased if I was to choose the Coptic laying of hands, but I
suppose the Last Supper is a great idea.

God bless.

I don't want to argue with anyone, but a mural isn't a logo and not well suited to being represented as an emblem. But more than that, I wonder if this really is peculiar to the Apostolic Churches. After all, although the Real Presence is in our minds, almost every Christian church celebrates Holy Communion, based upon the Last Supper

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟36,318.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
After all, although the Real Presence is in our minds, almost every Christian church celebrates Holy Communion, based upon the Last Supper

I proposed the laying of the hands because the Eucharist theme is already used by us catholics: have a look to OBOB logo: the Blessed Bread and the Chalice on a Last Supper image that fullfills the World: for me it is a great logo. If we want do something similar I agree

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I proposed the laying of the hands because the Eucharist theme is already used by us catholics: have a look to OBOB logo: the Blessed Bread and the Chalice on a Last Supper image that fullfills the World: for me it is a great logo. If we want do something similar I agree

I see now that I was wrong. When the suggestion of a
logo came up, I mistakenly thought we were talking about an insignia like a trademark--the sort of thing we have when we identify our church affiliation (Cross of Jerusalen for RCs, Celtic Cross for Anglicans, etc.)

But I see upon checking the OBOB site that we are talking about a scene topping the page. That being so, I'd have to say that all the ideas suggested so far are good.

I would still suggest though, that the Last Supper doesn't refer to us any more than to any other Christian Church since all observe Holy Communion. The laying on of hands idea, therefore, seems better.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"All" observe Holy Communion? The question I want to ask is do "all" believe in the "real presence" of Christ in communion? And I certainly wouldn't go as far as say "all" practice it either.

God bless.

The suggested picture was of the Last Supper. ANY observance of the Holy Communion is based upon the Last Supper, whether or not Real Presence is accepted. IOW, there is nothing about an artist's rendering of the Last Supper that shows us the Real Presence. That is what is believed to be involved, but it is not inherent in a scene of Jesus at the table with his Apostles, cups, and bread.

Second, I said "almost every Christian church." There are three small denominations only, out of the thousands of Christian churches, which DO NOT observe the Lord's Supper, so I was bending over backwards to be accurate there. Maybe you didn't know how many churches do and how many--or which--do not.

So if you want to make the logo of the Apostolic Churches a scene that 99.9% of all Christians of all denominations can as easily identify with as our churches do, be my guest. But a scene of the Last Supper is no more specific to Apostolic Churches than a scene of Jesus' baptism or the Crucifixion would be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting...I never knew only three small denominations don't practice communion. I had an impression a huge part of Protestantism doesn't.

Not to change the subject, but quickly I was just wondering if you have a source I can read about the practice of Lord's Supper and Protestant denominations.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Interesting...I never knew only three small denominations don't practice communion. I had an impression a huge part of Protestantism doesn't.

Right. The Salvation Army, the Quakers, and the Unitarians. And with these three, many people would say that they didn't know that the SA is a church and not just a charitable organization, and that the Unitarians are not really Christian.

But also, it's only fair to note that a lot of Protestant churches do not observe Holy Communion very frequently or make nearly as much of it as we do.

Not to change the subject, but quickly I was just wondering if you have a source I can read about the practice of Lord's Supper and Protestant denominations.

God bless.

Almost any reference work that compares varieties of Christian churches will take up the matter of the Eucharist/Holy Communion/Lord's Supper. One that is well known is the "Handbook of denominations in the USA" although that is somewhat on the brief side. It surveys almost every church you can think of, but the downside is that it is, therefore, not able to do it in detail. I think just about any public library is likely to have something useful. Also, don't overlook any book that is a history of Christianity, since it must take up the divisions that have developed over time, and the Eucharist is one of the most controversial doctrinal points that distinguishes the denominations from each other.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I still say it should be an icon of the Last Supper.

Because:
1) It is an icon. Icons are ok in Catholicism, Orthodoxy (both) and Anglicanism (though I wouldn't bet my life on the last one, but I educationally guessed).
2) It depicts the Last Supper; i.e. the first Eucharist. The Eucharist is an Apostolic Tradition and this is the Apostolic Churches sub-forum.
3) The icon depicts Christ and the Apostles. Given that the RC, EO, OO and Anglican Churches can all claim Apostolic Succession, it just seems appropriate to represent our "predecessors" so to say.;)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I still say it should be an icon of the Last Supper.

Because:
1) It is an icon. Icons are ok in Catholicism, Orthodoxy (both) and Anglicanism (though I wouldn't bet my life on the last one, but I educationally guessed).
2) It depicts the Last Supper; i.e. the first Eucharist. The Eucharist is an Apostolic Tradition and this is the Apostolic Churches sub-forum.
3) The icon depicts Christ and the Apostles. Given that the RC, EO, OO and Anglican Churches can all claim Apostolic Succession, it just seems appropriate to represent our "predecessors" so to say.;)

Then let's have something about Apostolic Succession, not Holy Communion.

But by your list above, almost any scene from the Bible--for example--would be representative of us. And almost everyone else, too.

Since Holy Communion is observed in virtually every Christian denomination, it doesn't set us apart from any Congregationalist, Methodist, Disciple of Christ, or just about any other church.

Somehow, that did not seem the idea when it was asked if WE could have something of our OWN.

And that particular icon is obviously Eastern, not anything unifying us, so to say that it represents all the communions is like me suggesting a picture of Canterbury Cathedral and saying that well, after all, we all use church buildings. While Anglicans are not adverse to icons of this sort, you could go to a hundred parishes and read Anglican publications for a year without seeing one, so atypical of us is this art form.

Let's please have something that says, in effect, "Apostolic Christians--US!, " not "Yeh, we do that too just like everyone else."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And that particular icon is obviously Eastern, not anything unifying us, so to say that it represents all the communions is like me suggesting a picture of Canterbury Cathedral and saying that well, after all, we all use church buildings. While Anglicans are not adverse to icons of this sort, you could go to a hundred parishes and read Anglican publications for a year without seeing one, so atypical of us is this art form.

Let's please have something that says, in effect, "Apostolic Christians--US!, " not "Yeh, we do that too just like everyone else."
Sorry, but the icon was the first one I found off of Google. :sorry:

I do understand what you are saying. But I need to remember that finding something for a logo to represent four very large Churches/Communions is no easy feat at all, but we all do what we can.

This is difficult, because although the laying of hands idea is a good one, there is still the fact that few would agree on it because everyone would feel that it may not represent their own Church very well. Although I think if we did go with laying of hands, the only real way to find compromise would be to use stick figures.;)

The Fathers of Nicea doesn't sound too bad.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but the icon was the first one I found off of Google. :sorry:

I do understand what you are saying. But I need to remember that finding something for a logo to represent four very large Churches/Communions is no easy feat at all, but we all do what we can.

I don't want to make too much out of this or stand in others way. It was just something offered for others to think on. If the Last Supper has the most support, then it would work fine. And despite what I said about all churches observing the Holy Communion, I do appreciate that most do not place nearly as much emphasis upon it. Quite a few celebrate it only four times a year.

By contrast and hypothetically, if 'they' wanted a Bible icon for themselves because their churches emphasize preaching, I could apply my logic and say that it's not as though we don't use the Bible and have a sermon or homily ourselves. BUT, of course sermons are not as characteristic of our worship as they are in theirs where it is the central feature. So I do appreciate that merely because 'everyone does it' isn't the only consideration.

This is difficult, because although the laying of hands idea is a good one, there is still the fact that few would agree on it because everyone would feel that it may not represent their own Church very well.

By "represent" I assume you mean not looking like a laying on of hands as it is done in some of our communions. Right. The one that was offered to us clearly doesn't not look like a Catholic or Anglican ceremony. The vestments would be a problem no matter what we do unless it's some line drawing. So I agree again, any scripture-based scene avoids that.

Upvote 0