Could Eve have been a female copy of Adam?

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, I've read that copying mistakes have been measured to occur from parent to child at a rate of around 50 per human generation.

As an aside, if a generation is 30 years and we accumulate about 50 mutations per generation, then I've accumulated more than 6,000 mutations since my ancestor of Abraham's time. Yikes.
And yet each copy of your genome differs from someone else's by several million mutations. So how long does that mean your ancestors were accumulating mutations? This is one reason why timelines derived from a literal reading of Genesis don't work.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All variation (other than a maximum of 4 newly-created alleles in Adam and Eve) goes back to mutations. The standing variation in a population (which may or may not be what Skywriter is referring to) exists because of an accumulation of past mutations.

If you examine any foreign car engine you will find that the
engine tolerances are tighter than in GM cars.

In GM cars the tolerances were so loose that ignition could be
giggled loose if you had more than 3 keys attached.

Tolerances are the parameters under which an machine (or organism) can
survive. Move outside those tolerances (or variability) and the machine
or organism fails.

IF variability were the result of mutations (and a good thing)
, you wouldn't need repair DNA to fix the mutations.

DNA Damage and Repair Mechanisms

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello! I'm not sure we're speaking of the same thing. The 50 mutations I'm speaking of are not related to the natural genetic shuffling that occurs from parents to their children (which is why brothers are not identical unless they're twins). Instead, these are genuine mutations, verified as copying mistakes from one generation to the next.

By modern reckoning, our present generation has accumulated about 6,000 mutations since Abraham's generation. Most mutations appear to be neutral. Of the ones that aren't, the deleterious ones outnumber the beneficial ones.

I don't see any citations.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom