Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chris McCandless, the guy that went to Alaska in 1992 and ended up starving to death. Some research into it seems to suggest he may have died of some kind of ODAP poisoning from ingesting wild potato seeds. Be that as it may, from about April to August of 1992 he was in the wild alone. Books/Media that has somewhat glorified him has suggested he was a free spirit and opposed authority uninterested in organized religion but generally still a moraled person; he also identified a higher being and called him God.

Some may be hyperbole I'm sure but regardless his final months of his life was without human contact somewhere in the Alaskan bush. Assuming he did not have proper knowledge of the gospel nor brought a bible with him to read could McCandless have found God in isolation sufficiently and be saved? Or would this be impossible if we are to assume going into Alaska he did not have sufficient knowledge of the gospel and so there was too large of void for salvation to happen?

some of his final written words were "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL"

Last edited:

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Chris McCandless, the guy that went to Alaska in 1992 and ended up starving to death. Some research into it seems to suggest he may have died of some kind of ODAP poisoning from ingesting wild potato seeds. Be that as it may it from about April to August of 1992 he was in the wild alone. Books/Media that has somewhat glorified him has suggested he was a free spirit and opposed authority uninterested in organized religion but generally still a moraled person; he also identified a higher being and called him God.

Some may be hyperbole I'm sure but regardless his final months of his life was without human contact somewhere in the Alaskan bush. Assuming he did not have proper knowledge of the gospel nor brought a bible with him to read could McCandless have found God in isolation sufficiently and be saved? Or would this be impossible if we are to assume going into Alaska he did not have sufficient knowledge of the gospel and so there was too large of void for salvation to happen?

some of his final written words were "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL"

God can talk to anyone, no matter how secluded they might be.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If he had ever heard that Jesus, God's son died to pay for his sins, he could have accepted God's offer. However, God can save anyone—it's he that does the saving, not us. The thief on the cross next to Jesus probably didn't hear Jesus' life story, but he heard enough to recognize that he was God's Messiah, and he believed what he heard and was saved.

Upvote 0