Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, at least we finally have an honest one......

‘Remember, we only kill black people,’ Georgia police officer told a woman — on camera

Dash-cam video shows the Cobb County officer, who has been identified as police Lt. Greg Abbott, standing outside a vehicle during a DUI traffic stop in July 2016.

The woman, who was a passenger in the vehicle, can be heard telling the officer that she did not want to put her hands down to reach for her phone because “I’ve just seen way too many videos of cops —.”
“But you’re not black,” he interrupted. “Remember, we only kill black people. Yeah, we only kill black people, right? All the videos you’ve seen, have you seen black people get killed? You have.”
Suri Chadha Jimenez, an attorney who represented the driver in the DUI case, said that he had seen the video while preparing for court last summer and was “shocked” by what he had heard.

“I heard that, and I cringed. I had to replay it. I thought, ‘There’s no way,’ ” he said.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Playing Devil's Advocate here, is it possible he was actually trying to defuse the situation since she was so nervous and did it in the most tasteless, tone deaf way possible?
Most probable.
Stupid sarcastic comment from burned out officer, IMO.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yee-haw. Welcome to the South.
I am from GA have lived in one county ( will not say which one of the 159 of course) but any now for my whole 26 yeas on this Earth and I can tell you that far from everyone is racist, and of those who are sometimes you find it is more about customs than being out and out racist. Very few people in the south compared to population are just plain out racist.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Playing Devil's Advocate here, is it possible he was actually trying to defuse the situation since she was so nervous and did it in the most tasteless, tone deaf way possible?
It just doesn't work in any way. Not as humor (police shootings aren't funny, and if a policeman thinks they are, that's a really bad sign). It doesn't work as a de-escalation technique. She had reason to worry because of Justine Damond, since he brought ethnicity into it.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It just doesn't work in any way. Not as humor (police shootings aren't funny, and if a policeman thinks they are, that's a really bad sign). It doesn't work as a de-escalation technique. She had reason to worry because of Justine Damond, since he brought ethnicity into it.
She might have been unreasonably worrying because she was drunk.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yep, continual false attacks can lead to sarcasm being used inappropriately.
We are all human yes that was an inappropriate thing to say, but we do not know the officer's prior conduct, nor the way he said it tone wise and so inappropriate, certainly but that does not mean we should judge him as an officer for that comment it is not as if he did use deadly force or otherwise more force than needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am from GA have lived in one county ( will not say which one of the 159 of course) but any now for my whole 26 yeas on this Earth and I can tell you that far from everyone is racist, and of those who are sometimes you find it is more about customs than being out and out racist. Very few people in the south compared to population are just plain out racist.

It was never my intent to suggest otherwise. It is interesting, however, how the few who are racist see no need to conceal it.

My faith in humanity will be greatly restored when this officer is fired, although the fact that this video is getting the viral treatment is the only reason I'm saying "when," not "if."

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's what I think happened. Still inexcusable but I doubt he meant it seriously.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yee-haw. Welcome to the South.
Y'all come back now, heyah.

Cop probably trying to be funny but not professional. That's an example of what makes some people not feel safe with cops.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was likely his intent. But you know about what Type pavement they use on the road to Hell...,

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having been stopped in Cobb County I can say they take revenue enhancement to a new level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I work in IT and I sometimes would do something like say I only get mad at Microsoft when a user was upset that they had a stupid question or were worried about me getting upset for what they did. Sure, this is different in what he said, but the general idea would have been to put someone at ease. Tactless and tone deaf to be sure.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I work in IT and I sometimes would do something like say I only get mad at Microsoft when a user was upset that they had a stupid question or were worried about me getting upset for what they did. Sure, this is different in what he said, but the general idea would have been to put someone at ease. Tactless and tone deaf to be sure.
Were you wearing a firearm at the time?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

It was probably meant as gallows humor, but it was incredibly inappropriate. It would probably be best just to fire him, as if he ever shoots a black suspect, even if it was in the most justified setting of say, saving a black mother and her infant, this would pop back up and create a massive excrement storm.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was probably meant as gallows humor, but it was incredibly inappropriate. It would probably be best just to fire him, as if he ever shoots a black suspect, even if it was in the most justified setting of say, saving a black mother and her infant, this would pop back up and create a massive excrement storm.
Words have power.

But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.
Matthew 15:18 ESV

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

He wouldn't have to shoot anyone. He's a financial liability for the police dept. Every time he has any dealing with a black person, he's a lawsuit waiting to happen--a plaintiff's attorney's dream.

• Agree
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0