Cool garden ideas

seekertruth72

Apr 28, 2012
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can see where self-watering could be a life-saver if you can't water the garden on a regular schedule. But I prefer top-watering (though it does have its challenges) because it follows nature's general pattern more closely. As the water descends through the soil, it takes with it organic matter from the top – animal waste, decaying plant matter, etc. It also etches minerals from the rocks, and brings it all down to the roots. The plant, in turn, brings all this goodness back up to the surface, eventually to be deposited as leaves, seeds, fruit and stems. So there's a vertical ecosystem going on that I don’t see other systems, such as self-watering or hydroponics, offering.

Interesting. Thanks brother. The one draw back to overhead watering is fungus can grow and lead to blight and other disease. The plant will get overhead watered anyway when it rains, but the self watering container ovoids excessive overhead watering with a garden hose and doesn't allow the plant to go through the stress of drought which can stunt the plant and fruit yielding, and with container gardening you would want to use a good potting mix with plant food already added but they will get overhead watering when it rains

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Watering was my most critical issue last year – my first real attempt at gardening. I had only 8" of soil in raised beds on a hard ledge rock base (I've been adding to it since then), so the amount and frequency of watering was crucial. I had no idea what I was doing, and I ended up with spotted tomato plants. I was trying to deep-water to develop the roots, but I didn’t realize that the shallow beds needed more superficial and more frequent watering to keep the moisture content in the optimum range.

I think the ideal solution is trickle watering. It has the advantages of top-watering, but can be adjusted to regulate soil moisture very tightly. It can even be attached to a moisture meter or timer and set up to operate automatically, so you have some of the advantages of self-watering. The plant leaves generally stay dry, which is good, and the rain and dew will take care of the chore of washing the dust off them. But trickle watering is an investment, and I don’t know how long I'm going to be where I am, so I've avoided it so far.

Upvote 0

seekertruth72

Apr 28, 2012
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Watering was my most critical issue last year – my first real attempt at gardening. I had only 8" of soil in raised beds on a hard ledge rock base (I've been adding to it since then), so the amount and frequency of watering was crucial. I had no idea what I was doing, and I ended up with spotted tomato plants. I was trying to deep-water to develop the roots, but I didn’t realize that the shallow beds needed more superficial and more frequent watering to keep the moisture content in the optimum range.

I think the ideal solution is trickle watering. It has the advantages of top-watering, but can be adjusted to regulate soil moisture very tightly. It can even be attached to a moisture meter or timer and set up to operate automatically, so you have some of the advantages of self-watering. The plant leaves generally stay dry, which is good, and the rain and dew will take care of the chore of washing the dust off them. But trickle watering is an investment, and I don’t know how long I'm going to be where I am, so I've avoided it so far.

You're right i think, trickle watering is the way to go, using a soaker hose most likely.

I over watered my garden the first couple years i started gardening and ended up having disease/blight problems. So i started learning how critical proper watering is. This is my 4th year now, my first year was nothing more than some tomatoes and peppers growing in pots sitting on my deck.

Self watering containers make gardening easy and maintenance free, giving more time for planning and learning more useful ways of gardening. This is the first time i tried self watering container gardening, the only drawback that i see so far is that im not sure yet if it uses more water, less or the same amount of water that a ground garden uses.

Upvote 0

seekertruth72

Apr 28, 2012
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just thought of yet another reason container gardening is better, it helps defend against some garden pests too. Weeds, pests, disease and hassle free gardening. I cant believe this hasn't taken off yet. Maybe its more hype than the perfect gardening solution, i don't know but in theory this is the perfect home gardening solution and is revolutionary in my opinion, if theory is fact.

One could build and sell self watering gardens cheap and start a gardening revolution and get rich too. Not that i care for being rich. But is someone else does get rich using my idea i wont mind if they send me a few bucks. :)

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,857.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would strongly suggest that people look into free sources of compost. Or for that matter other adaments.

What is available and free changes with time and for that matter with what you are willing to use.

For me 35-45 years ago Horse manure was free and plentyful. More than once I got 3 pickup truck loads of it in one day. (1 ton pickup, not a whimpy 1/2 ton). That was when I hit things right abd got it loaded at the stable end a couple of time. They were happy to load when they were out working with the tractor. I also at one point got fish scraps from a local fish market.

Then the stable I used found they could sell it to golf courses. Now that stable which was on the outskirts of Calabassas is all high cost houses.

BUT now free compost is available from a couple of sources. The stuff that goes into the garden waste bins gets composted as does sewage.

Free, pleantyful and high quality.

For now, at leat the stuff from the sewage plant also gets sold and my bet is eventually it will no longer be free and perhaps eventually only available in commercial quantities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MountainBluebird

Jun 2, 2012
Canada
✟16,093.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I help pollinate my tomato plants too, because of the lack of bees sometimes, but do it a little differently. Also, tomato plants don't need to have the suckers removed, especially if you grow determinate type tomatoes.

Pinterest is a great site to save pictures of gardening ideas or plants you want to grow.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
1) I dug a hole and put in a hard plastic jug with small (nail sized) holes in the side into it. Just a bit of the jug and the lid. Planted by melons right next to it. Water the plant by pouring the water into the jug. That plant did AWESOME! I gave it a shot of compost tea mid summer, that plant was a thing of beauty. I'll get two melons for SURE and possibly four. horray!

2) Pea Tee-pee. Very convinient for growing a lot of peas!

3) I compost but don't have any leaved trees. My friend has 5 huge trees around him. I get all the leaves I need at the right time of year....teeeheeeheeee

Upvote 0

Brother Alan

Apr 14, 2013
Britain
✟7,638.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When planting a potted plant in the garden, do not initially take it out of it's pot !!

Dig a hole where you need to plant it, place the pot and plant into the hole at the correct height and back fill the pot, firm the soil round it and then remove the pot and plant from the hole.

You will leave(hopefully) a very neat pot shaped hole.

Tap the plant out of the pot and place the plant into the hole and gently firm the soil around it. This way you will not disturb the plant at all.

hope that this is of help

BA

Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

It rains around here all the time.

I had an idea to take advantage of our rainy weather and harvest rainwater to purify for consumption, possibly for watering plants too.

I was going to harvest rainwater via a rain barrel/rainwater tank (wanted to buy one of those), but my whole family was in a uproaringous protest, telling me that rain barrels were too big and costed too much money.

Still haven't gotten one yet.

Rainwater tank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We had a discussion of collecting rainwater in, of all places, Dreams and Visions. There are some things to watch out for.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7665306/

edit: It begins around post #26

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Vertical Strawberry Planter
1005233_466499046778782_293367396_n.jpg

Upvote 0