Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had a hard time answering the poll . . . because I used to belong to several different Protestant denominations!

I was baptized Lutheran as an infant, became a Southern Baptist as a teenager, and embraced the "dark side" for awhile as a Calvinist Presbyterian (and spent a few years as an atheist as a result).

When I came back to Christianity from atheism I went with the Lutheran Church because I regarded it as the "faith of my fathers", who were (on my father's side) German immigrants to Pennsylvania.

I was Lutheran just before our Lord opened my eyes and led me into His Church, so that's what I clicked on.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Philip said:
Maximus,

Should I add an "All of the above" option to the poll?

LOL! :D

Maybe so!

I not only belonged to three different Protestant sects, I visited most of the other kinds at one time or another, too.

I was looking for love in all the wrong places . . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
As was I. Let's see, in the past I've been...

1. Independant
2. Southern Baptist
3. Nazarene
4. Reformed/Presbyterian
5. Weslyian (sp?)
6. Methodist (Infant baptized into that one)
7. Semi-Messianic Judiasm

In short, an inquirer. lol

Maybe an "All of the above" wouldn't be a bad idea. We have to draw the line some where. There are, after all, over 27,000 Protestant denominations out there.

Peace.

Peter

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I grew up in a non-Christian family. We attended a non-denominational church for a few years, but that was it.

In college those Campus Crusade people came after me. (Don't even get me started.) I found Orthodoxy after 12 months in Crusade and left Crusade for Orthodoxy. I'm much happier now. :)

Matrona

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Dear Matrona,

You aren't the only one to leave Campus Crusade for Orthodoxy. Have you read "Coming Home"? I think that's the book. It's the story of Fr. Peter Gilquist and others that came out of that group and found their way to Orthodoxy.

Peace.

Peter

P.S. Dear friends, if I have gotten the name of the book wrong, please let me know. I don't mind showing my ignorance, but I hate to remain ignorant.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did a little work witnessing with Campus Crusade as a college freshman.

Our hearts were in the right place and we were trying to spread the Gospel, but not according to knowledge.

I am still very much interested in evangelism and would like to become involved in organized Orthodox evangelism.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Peter said:
You aren't the only one to leave Campus Crusade for Orthodoxy. Have you read "Coming Home"? I think that's the book. It's the story of Fr. Peter Gilquist and others that came out of that group and found their way to Orthodoxy.

You mean Becoming Orthodox, I believe. Yes, I have read it, someone in my church gave it to me. (I've also read Coming Home.)

The people I knew at Campus Crusade would jabber about God's love and blessings, but when it came time to actually act on their claimed beliefs, all they want to do is pass out their Bill Bright tracts on safe ground. Although they had no qualms about attacking one of their own (namely moi) when she started going to an Orthodox church, since they weren't familiar with it. (Up until then, I hadn't been in a church, any church, in several years.) If this was supposed to drive me away from the Orthodox Church, well, thank heaven they failed!

Matrona

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.