"Converting" to Evangelicalism?

D+C

Apr 19, 2011
✟8,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a slightly strange question, partly superficial and partially not. Basically, if one has been a practicing christian but not an evangelical is an embracing of evangelicalism a conversion?

Since, as a disgruntled anglo catholic, I stopped attending the Church of England five years ago I have been attending Roman Catholic and Orthodox services with every intention of converting. A few years ago I posted here about the possibility of joining the small non-denominational chapel in my village, as it has a dwindling congregation and is in some difficulties. I was advised at the time that even though this was far from my comfort zone I should attend this church, as Christ rarely calls us to be comfortable. If only I had listened!

In the last few weeks or so I have been meeting with the pastor of this chapel, and I am completely convinced. It's not comfortable, but I am ready to wholeheartedly embrace evangelicalism. So my question is am I converting?! I was baptised as a baby and I have been a practising christian ever since, but I completely feel I am embracing something new.

So for the superficial part of the question- is this something to tell people about?! Does one announce a conversion to evangelical christianity?

Many thanks for your indulgence of a slightly odd enquiry!

JGiddings

A work in progress.
Feb 7, 2014
United States
✟8,644.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nope, you are taking a different path within your faith.
Warning: do NOT let them convince you that you must get rebaptized! Thus implying that you are converting.
I had a church do that once and I fell for it. A baptist church I think.

The Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran and Presbyterian all baptize infants. If it's done with a Trinitarian forumula, it's all good.
Churches that re-baptize are only self righteous persons thinking that their way "is the way God wants it" bah.

There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Ephesians 4:4-6

Sorry I went on a tangent. Just FYI.
Do what the Lord leads you to do.

Upvote 0