Contradictions in Scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.

eves_adam

Aug 17, 2008
✟305.00
Faith
Christian
Here's a link I found interesting. There is a lot of scripture which condones the following:

-beating slaves, male and female to near death

-killing the "effeminate"

-treating women as property

-condoning slavery

-inciting crowds to murder

http://www.singlec.com/conversations/viewtopic.php?t=1641

Now, we can treat these as literal commandments. Or, we can look at these in their historical context. What was acceptable thousands of years ago vs. what's acceptable in a democratic society which respects the liberty of all people.

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's a link I found interesting. There is a lot of scripture which condones the following:

-beating slaves, male and female to near death

-killing the "effeminate"

-treating women as property

-condoning slavery

-inciting crowds to murder

http://www.singlec.com/conversations/viewtopic.php?t=1641

Now, we can treat these as literal commandments. Or, we can look at these in their historical context. What was acceptable thousands of years ago vs. what's acceptable in a democratic society which respects the liberty of all people.

If we look at this in a historical context, (and in another place on this website for this particular subject), we can see that the above examples sounds more in-line with pagan and atheistic societies and civilizations than they do any other.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
If we look at this in a historical context, (and in another place on this website for this particular subject), we can see that the above examples sounds more in-line with pagan and atheistic societies and civilizations than they do any other.
Well then, if that´s true and if it´s true that the bible condones these things - can we conclude that atheists and pagans are the better Christians in that the follow the bible more closely?

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well then, if that´s true and if it´s true that the bible condones these things - can we conclude that atheists and pagans are the better Christians in that the follow the bible more closely?

The bottom line of the Bible is belief in God. The Christian refinement of God's ways brought to us by Christ Jesus and His followers would not be in concert with your perspective. But, nice atheists and pagans are cool though and do.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you have a theology edition of Mad Libs that you fill in when you need a quick baseless slur against atheists?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Does the Bible condone these things, or does it tell people how to behave righteously in a world that does? Christianity didn't establish slavery (as an example) but it applied the Bible to finally cause others to see slavery for something not to promote and finally discourage. Atheism didn't do that. Atheism didn't even provide education for anybody --- though I'm sure there were atheists who sent their children to "church" schools....

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does the Bible condone these things, or does it tell people how to behave righteously in a world that does? Christianity didn't establish slavery (as an example) but it applied the Bible to finally cause others to see slavery for something not to promote and finally discourage. Atheism didn't do that. Atheism didn't even provide education for anybody --- though I'm sure there were atheists who sent their children to "church" schools....

That's because Atheists make their own opinions instead of setting up educational institutions to teach children what to believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's because Atheists make their own opinions instead of setting up educational institutions to teach children what to believe.

An education should be shared & encouraged and not made light of. Before someone can form an opinion, it would be nice if he/she heard the evidence.

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
An education should be shared & encouraged and not made light of. Before someone can form an opinion, it would be nice if he/she heard the evidence.

And they can't hear the "evidence" of Christianity without going to a Christian school? An education is an education, should Atheists open Atheist schools where there is doctrine on explaining why people think there is no god? Could all public schools and private schools not founded around a religion be called atheist schools?

Perhaps public schools should have religious education where they discuss prevalent religious affiliations from an un-biased position, explaining the philosophy of different world religions and philisophical movements.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Does the Bible condone these things, or does it tell people how to behave righteously in a world that does?
I dont know and I do not really care - the bible is far too ambiguous on most everything, imo.
I was merely answering to the hypothetical.
Christianity didn't establish slavery (as an example) but it applied the Bible to finally cause others to see slavery for something not to promote and finally discourage.
That´s an interesting interpretation.

Atheism didn't do that. Atheism didn't even provide education for anybody ---
It can´t. Atheism doesn´t do anything. Atheism is just a word for lacking belief in gods. And atheism wasn´t the topic here, anyways.

though I'm sure there were atheists who sent their children to "church" schools....
So? There are also atheists like me who support churches.

The question discussed was whether believers can be held responsible for what their god does. You have managed to get in three sentences to "atheists who send their kids to church schools". :doh:

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Perhaps public schools should have religious education where they discuss prevalent religious affiliations from an un-biased position, explaining the philosophy of different world religions and philisophical movements.

Many do in this country.

It's awesome. :)

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
More garbage from evilbible.com. NEXT!

Let's hope we never meet in real life.

Duet. 22:28-29, the Bible condones forcing a young girl, no matter how young, so even 5 -10 year olds, to marry the rapist after he has paid for taking her virginity. What say you to that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paconious

Iconoclast
Mar 21, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
✟7,913.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Duet. 22:28-29, the Bible condones forcing a young girl, no matter how young, so even 5 -10 year olds, to marry the rapist after he has paid for taking her virginity. What say you to that?

You will never get a straight answer out of the fundies. They will always try to special plead murder or rape in the bible. Ask them about battles where everyone had special instruccions from god to leave no one alive and they will call it a justifiable act of war. Women and children were fair game if you got in the way of Yaweh's people.
Jephthats daughter? Well there are different ways they try to warp her sacrifice. Apperently "burnt offering" really means you get sent to the mountains. Nevermind the text later says he did "his vow which he had vowed."
Mistranslation, couldn't of have happened, modern theologians think this is what really happened. etc. Funny how many preach literal interpretation of the text yet, when those ugly little bloodspots pop up, they play dumb.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.