Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You may be saying, " what terrible people you have been talking about!" But you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, or you do these very same things. And we know that God it, and his Justice, will punish anyone who does such things. Do you think that God will judge and condemn others for doing them and not judge you when you do them, too? Don't you realize how kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Or don't you care? Can't you see how kind he has been and giving you time to turn from your sin?

But no, you won't listen. So you are storing up terrible punishment for yourself because of your stubbornness in refusing to turn from your sin. For there is going to come a day of judgment when God, the just judge of all the world, will judge all people according to what they have done. He will give you two no life to those who persist in doing what is good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality that God offers. But he will pour out his anger and wrath on those who live for themselves, who refused to obey the truth and practice evil Deeds. There will be trouble and Calamity for everyone who keeps on sinning-for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. But there will be glory and honor and peace from God for all who do good-for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. For God does not show favoritism.

Romans 2:1-11

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior period but I am a week Christian who continues to sin. I do know that if I keep this up I am storing wrath upon myself.

Many Christians tell me that it is sin to obey God out of fear of punishment. I don't want to argue that, but I do see that Paul in Scripture is constantly warning people about the wrath of God. I think this is what I need to do for myself. I don't know.

But the guy on wretched said that my obedience would be short-lived if I obeyed out of fear. I am confused about this.

How does one obey God without fear when they know that their disobedience would send them to hell? I am actually wondering. I have told myself that it is okay to obey God out of fear, but many Christians say that it isn't.

We can't control how we feel.

It could be that I'm not truly saved. I may just have to accept that period but that would also mean that Jesus Christ rejected me.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Christian Advice is a non-debate area for members to ask and receive Biblically-based, Christian advice for a struggle they are encountering."

Yours is that you feel you cannot trust God while being in fear of him. Is that right?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You may be saying, " what terrible people you have been talking about!" But you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, or you do these very same things. And we know that God it, and his Justice, will punish anyone who does such things. Do you think that God will judge and condemn others for doing them and not judge you when you do them, too? Don't you realize how kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Or don't you care? Can't you see how kind he has been and giving you time to turn from your sin?

But no, you won't listen. So you are storing up terrible punishment for yourself because of your stubbornness in refusing to turn from your sin. For there is going to come a day of judgment when God, the just judge of all the world, will judge all people according to what they have done. He will give you two no life to those who persist in doing what is good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality that God offers. But he will pour out his anger and wrath on those who live for themselves, who refused to obey the truth and practice evil Deeds. There will be trouble and Calamity for everyone who keeps on sinning-for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. But there will be glory and honor and peace from God for all who do good-for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. For God does not show favoritism.

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior period but I am a week Christian who continues to sin. I do know that if I keep this up I am storing wrath upon myself.

Many Christians tell me that it is sin to obey God out of fear of punishment. I don't want to argue that, but I do see that Paul in Scripture is constantly warning people about the wrath of God. I think this is what I need to do for myself. I don't know.

But the guy on wretched said that my obedience would be short-lived if I obeyed out of fear. I am confused about this.

How does one obey God without fear when they know that their disobedience would send them to hell? I am actually wondering. I have told myself that it is okay to obey God out of fear, but many Christians say that it isn't.

It could be that I'm not truly saved. I may just have to accept that period but that would also mean that Jesus Christ rejected me.

Have you been born again of water and spirit? If not then yeah you're not truly saved yet to answer your question but i'm not judging just trying to confirm your question.

Just Coming from personal experience I accepted God and kept sinning everyday until I was born again and started reading the word more.

To address the rest of your statement though.

1. Don't assume every christian does all of those wicked things you describe just cause some you meet do them. And don't ever utilize that to justify doing it yourself. The bible says to turn away from sins. To strive to be like him and walk in the newness of life. I agree shouldn't judge though that's wrong to do.

2. Disobedience straight up doesn't send you to hell. There's a process known as backsliding but it's typically a slow process, once you understand that it really helps diminish the fear. God is not the author of fear.. remember the bible straight up says that.

There is a term known as Fear of the Lord in the bible but that's different than the regular Fear or fear of something/being scared of something. You see both terms in the bible but the one that God approves of and wants us to have is the one i'm going to explain below.

Fear= beginning of wisdom/instruction of wisdom

Fear= Abraham displayed this, recognizing God in everything and trusting in him with all your heart and having faith in him. IT's essentially factoring God into your life, "oh there is a God, i'm going to address my life accordingly believing there is one".

Fear=respect and reverence to God essentially

It's no longer just me in life but me and God basically.

In acts 4 they were filled with the holy ghost (saved) and spoke the word of God with boldness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Fear of the LORD is a great motivation to obey and it's the beginning of wisdom. Proverbs 9:10 says, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” Basically, this verse teaches that the fear of God is foundational to true wisdom; all other types of learning are worthless unless built upon a knowledge of the Lord Himself. Many other passages talk about the fear of the Lord (e.g., Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7; 14:27; 15:33). Before we can understand how the fear of the Lord leads to wisdom, we need to define what the Bible means by “fear” in this context.

In the Bible, the word translated “fear” can mean several things. It can refer to the terror one feels in a frightening situation (Deuteronomy 2:25). It can mean “respect” in the way a servant fears his master and serves him faithfully (Joshua 24:14). Fear can also denote the reverence or awe a person feels in the presence of greatness (Isaiah 6:5). The fear of the Lord is a combination of all of these.

Fear of the Lord can be defined as “the continual awareness that our loving heavenly Father is watching and evaluating everything we think, say, and do” (Matthew 12:36; Psalm 139:2; Jeremiah 12:3). As Jesus told each of the seven churches in Revelation 1—2, “I know your works.” Nothing escapes His attention.

Our respect for God’s majesty causes us to honor Him (Psalm 29:2). Our gratitude for His mercy causes us to serve Him well (Psalm 2:11; 107:15). And the understanding that our God of love is also a God of wrath inspires enough fear to help us stay away from evil (Romans 1:18; Proverbs 8:13). Sin is foolish; righteousness is wise. When we live righteously, we are on the path to wisdom, and everyone in our lives benefits (Proverbs 13:20; 19:8).

How to be saved?~~~> How can I be saved?

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Christian Advice is a non-debate area for members to ask and receive Biblically-based, Christian advice for a struggle they are encountering."

OK. I don't like debates. I always end up getting hurt. I am not good at them. I was really trying to understand. I am not in the attitude of telling Christians how wrong they are.

Yours is that you feel you cannot trust God while being in fear of him. Is that right?[/QUOTE

Good question

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you been born again of water and spirit? If not then yeah you're not truly saved yet to answer your question but i'm not judging just trying to confirm your question.

Just Coming from personal experience I accepted God and kept sinning everyday until I was born again and started reading the word more.

To address the rest of your statement though.

1. Don't assume every christian does all of those wicked things you describe just cause some you meet do them. And don't ever utilize that to justify doing it yourself. The bible says to turn away from sins. To strive to be like him and walk in the newness of life. I agree shouldn't judge though that's wrong to do.

2. Disobedience straight up doesn't send you to hell. There's a process known as backsliding but it's typically a slow process, once you understand that it really helps diminish the fear. God is not the author of fear.. remember the bible straight up says that.

There is a term known as Fear of the Lord in the bible but that's different than the regular Fear or fear of something/being scared of something. You see both terms in the bible but the one that God approves of and wants us to have is the one i'm going to explain below.

Fear= beginning of wisdom/instruction of wisdom

Fear= Abraham displayed this, recognizing God in everything and trusting in him with all your heart and having faith in him. IT's essentially factoring God into your life, "oh there is a God, i'm going to address my life accordingly believing there is one".

Fear=respect and reverence to God essentially

It's no longer just me in life but me and God basically.

In acts 4 they were filled with the holy ghost (saved) and spoke the word of God with boldness.

Thank you for explaining.

As for your question, I was baptized. But I don't understand being born of spirit and water.

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fear of the LORD is a great motivation to obey and it's the beginning of wisdom. Proverbs 9:10 says, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” Basically, this verse teaches that the fear of God is foundational to true wisdom; all other types of learning are worthless unless built upon a knowledge of the Lord Himself. Many other passages talk about the fear of the Lord (e.g., Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7; 14:27; 15:33). Before we can understand how the fear of the Lord leads to wisdom, we need to define what the Bible means by “fear” in this context.

In the Bible, the word translated “fear” can mean several things. It can refer to the terror one feels in a frightening situation (Deuteronomy 2:25). It can mean “respect” in the way a servant fears his master and serves him faithfully (Joshua 24:14). Fear can also denote the reverence or awe a person feels in the presence of greatness (Isaiah 6:5). The fear of the Lord is a combination of all of these.

Fear of the Lord can be defined as “the continual awareness that our loving heavenly Father is watching and evaluating everything we think, say, and do” (Matthew 12:36; Psalm 139:2; Jeremiah 12:3). As Jesus told each of the seven churches in Revelation 1—2, “I know your works.” Nothing escapes His attention.

Our respect for God’s majesty causes us to honor Him (Psalm 29:2). Our gratitude for His mercy causes us to serve Him well (Psalm 2:11; 107:15). And the understanding that our God of love is also a God of wrath inspires enough fear to help us stay away from evil (Romans 1:18; Proverbs 8:13). Sin is foolish; righteousness is wise. When we live righteously, we are on the path to wisdom, and everyone in our lives benefits (Proverbs 13:20; 19:8).

How to be saved?~~~> How can I be saved?

Thanks.

This helps a lot.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

As for your question, I was baptized. But I don't understand being born of spirit and water.

Oh when JESUS says born again of water and spirit.

Water=baptism

Spirit=holy ghost

but yeah and if you have/once you get both of those checked off (they are 2 seperate things btw) then the key after that really is working on growing/studying the word.

But yep god bless

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I realize, however, that the way that I worded this could turn into a debate. I should have worded this different. My intention wasn't to start a debate. I was just struggling in this area. Because my fear is that if I am sinning by calling upon the name of the Lord Jesus out of fear, it would not save me. That is why I worded it this way. It is because I fear the wrath of God that I want to put my trust in Jesus.

Also, I don't agree with the debates. I will disagree with some Christians, but I have an agree to disagree attitude, and then I move on. But in this case, I needed to understand. Because telling me that it is sin to come to God out of fear has put fear in me. So this was a very appropriate question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians tell me that it is sin to obey God out of fear of punishment.
Never really heard that before. I mean we all to some degree have a healthy fear of God. Or in my case I fear letting Him down when I sin. I'm not to worried about hell though because of it. If not for fear then we would have no reason to improve. Now some say they ONLY believe in God because they fear going to hell. Which I think is one of those grey line subjects. I don't think any christian doesn't have their moments where they fear hell or fear they only believe in God because of a fear of hell. We have weak points, trials...etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Never really heard that before. I mean we all to some degree have a healthy fear of God. Or in my case I fear letting Him down when I sin. I'm not to worried about hell though because of it. If not for fear then we would have no reason to improve. Now some say they ONLY believe in God because they fear going to hell. Which I think is one of those grey line subjects. I don't think any christian doesn't have their moments where they fear hell or fear they only believe in God because of a fear of hell. We have weak points, trials...etc.

Yes, this is me.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

When reading ch1&2 of romans, make sure you also read chapter three, its vital!
What shall we conclude then? Are we any better? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and gentiles alike are ALL under sin (3:9)

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law( striving not to commit sin) for through the law we become conscious of sin( verse20)

If you fear your sin may send you to hell, you are not trusting Jesus is your rightstanding before God. You are trusting your rightstanding I obeying the law, for sin is transgression of the law.
According to Paul, that will not give you victory over sin.

If you hate your sin, if you don't want it, you wont be condemned for it. But you do need to understand tbe truth of Paul's message. If you understand and accept it, according to Paul THEN sin shall not be your master.
I am talking from personal experience
God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When reading ch1&2 of romans, make sure you also read chapter three, its vital!
What shall we conclude then? Are we any better? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and gentiles alike are ALL under sin (3:9)

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law( striving not to commit sin) for through the law we become conscious of sin( verse20)

If you fear your sin may send you to hell, you are not trusting Jesus is your rightstanding before God. You are trusting your rightstanding I obeying the law, for sin is transgression of the law.
According to Paul, that will not give you victory over sin.

If you hate your sin, if you don't want it, you wont be condemned for it. But you do need to understand tbe truth of Paul's message. If you understand and accept it, according to Paul THEN sin shall not be your master.
I am talking from personal experience
God bless

Thank you

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is the love of God too. For God so loved the world, that He gave..."
Jude 1:23 "And others save with fear, pulling [them] out of the fire..." John the Baptist
asked the Pharisees as to who had warned them to flee from the wrath to come.

Thank you

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The op has definitely been born again , for only someone who has been born again can have heartfelt conviction of their sin before God

Thank you very much. Now I just have to believe it.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You are born again when the holy spirit enters your life at the point of conversation.
He puts the law I your mind God desires you to keep, and places it on your heart. This means in your mind you instinctively know how God wants you to live, and in your heart you want to obey. You no longer seek to live as you naturally desire to live, but as God wants you to live. In this sense you have been born again of the Spirit.
By the law God desires you to follow being placed in your heart and mind, you become conscious of your sin before God.
Therefore, if you have heartfelt conviction of your sin, you have been born again

Upvote 0