Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of all the problems in this world like poverty, starvation, war, famine, etc., etc., why do conservative Christians so out and out about homosexuals. Of all the things that they could lend themselves to yield a positive influence, they completely ignore it just to go after homosexuals.

So the question is why isn't there more of a focus in Christianity on eliminating poverty in this country and abroad?

And I consider this an obssession because you could backtrack someone's posts and you'll see every post deals with the same exact subject: homosexuality.

I consider it a rather unhealthy obsession.

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well Ninja Turtle perhaps because it is a serious sin and everywhere you look there are people demanding rights for what the Bible calls an abomination.

Leviticus 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbor, and not suffer sin upon him.

The Bible commands us to love our neighbours and to rebuke them by telling the truth, that they are headed straight for hell. The same goes for adulterers and fornicaters.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anduril said:
Well Ninja Turtle perhaps because it is a serious sin and everywhere you look there are people demanding rights for what the Bible calls an abomination.

Leviticus 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbor, and not suffer sin upon him.

The Bible commands us to love our neighbours and to rebuke them by telling the truth, that they are headed straight for hell. The same goes for adulterers and fornicaters.
Yet they are left alone as well as all the other sins that are ignored, hypocrisy I guess.

Upvote 0

spankyfry

Apr 21, 2005
Oklahoma City
✟137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why don't you go to google and do a search for Christian charities and see how many of those "go after" homosexuals? And just because Christians talk about homosexuality on a Christian forum, it's an obsession? You have 1869 posts since January. That sounds like an obsession.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anduril said:

[bible]Leviticus 19:18[/bible]

Well, while we're quoting Leviticus...

BTW, we are not given the authority to say that someone is headed straight for hell. If sin alone were enough to do that, everyone would go to Hell. There is sin, but there is also salvation.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ChristianDude777 said:
Actually, we don't go after homosexuals, we merely take a stand against it. It's like anything else that is against God's will. Homosecuality is all over the place rhese days. That's why the Christian resistance is so prevelant.

Tim L.
The only issue I see is that you look at something like divorce, which is culturally acceptable now and no one is up in arms over the 50% divorce rate in this country. The way I see it is that many people that are up in arms about homosexuals are divorced themselves or have good friends that have divorced, so it is harder to divorce oneself (pardon the phrasing) and criticize as you see fit. However, gay people are an easy target as there aren't that many gay people in the first place, and they're definitely not out if they're hanging around conservative Christian circles.

I have no problem with taking a stance against sin, but I do have a problem with the attention placed on some sins.

Upvote 0

ChristianDude777

Apr 14, 2005
Georgia
✟16,919.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, you do have a point. Homosexuals are not any worse than any other sinner. I've known homosexuals who are nowhere near as bad as I was before I became a Christian.

You're also right in that it's an easy target, but here's the thing.

Here in America, Christianity is under attack. there is without a doubt an organized force that is trying to remove God from our lives. And many of us feel as though the people and forces who are working against God are also the ones, or at least working with them, who are trying to take our Christian rights from us.

We see all the time where references to God are being romoved from the public. At the same time, we see where homosexual agendas are being promoted. The two aren't completely mutually exclusive.

If we were seeing murder, rape, etc. being promoted as much as we see homosexuality being promoted and accepted, you'd also see the same amount of resistance against those as well. The same goes for prostitution.

Does all of that make any sense?

Tim L.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It makes sense, and I understand why people feel that homosexuality is being pushed through by an agenda, at the same time I don't feel as if Christianity is under attack. I think Christianity is flourishing and I don't see any impedence.

The one thing I see though is that we are seeing a removal of preference for Christianity in our government. I for one support that because I believe that it is only through a secular government that religion as well as other ideas can flourish. If I were in a Muslim society, I wouldn't be able to freely express my Christian values. And in a Christian society, I'm sure my views would clash with the respective denomination in power. I think that we need to remove that influence because if we have a neutral government, then we don't have to worry about the society suppressing our religious freedom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

U R my Sonshine

I have a baguette, and I am not afraid to use it.
Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good question Ninja turtles....

And if we are all honest we go after this particular sin because it is much easier to do that than to act like Mother Theresa and actually reflect Christs love.

Hmmm""shall I discuss how homosexuality is a sin or go volunteer my time at the homeless shelter??....hmmmm. I have more time to talk about gays....I'll do that!"

BTW....I am just as guilty as the rest of the Christians.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dawn Miner said:
Hmmm""shall I discuss how homosexuality is a sin or go volunteer my time at the homeless shelter??....hmmmm. I have more time to talk about gays....I'll do that!"
I like that quote, I think I'll save it, pretty funny. :D :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Danhalen

Healing
Feb 13, 2005
Ohio
✟18,099.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ChristianDude777 said:
Here in America, Christianity is under attack. there is without a doubt an organized force that is trying to remove God from our lives. And many of us feel as though the people and forces who are working against God are also the ones, or at least working with them, who are trying to take our Christian rights from us.

We see all the time where references to God are being romoved from the public. At the same time, we see where homosexual agendas are being promoted. The two aren't completely mutually exclusive.
Can you tell me exactly how Christianity is under attack? I don't see it, but of course I am on the outside looking in. What are your Christian rights that are being taken away?

Upvote 0

Danhalen

Healing
Feb 13, 2005
Ohio
✟18,099.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ninja Turtles said:
I like that quote, I think I'll save it, pretty funny. :D :thumbsup:
That is a good quote. My favorite one that is pertinent; Hey Bother Christian with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud I can't hear a word you're saying.

Upvote 0

sparklecat

Senior Contributor
Nov 29, 2003
✟10,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
spankyfry said:
Why don't you go to google and do a search for Christian charities and see how many of those "go after" homosexuals?
...well, no, that wouldn't really be relevant. The OP talked about how many *Christians* focus on homosexuality to the exclusion of other problems in the world, not how many Christian charities do. What's an anti-homosexuality charity going to do, collect money and offer it to gays if they'll stop having homosexual relationships?
And just because Christians talk about homosexuality on a Christian forum, it's an obsession?
If that's all they talk about, yes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristianDude777

Apr 14, 2005
Georgia
✟16,919.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Danhalen said:
Can you tell me exactly how Christianity is under attack? I don't see it, but of course I am on the outside looking in. What are your Christian rights that are being taken away?

I do hope you're joking...

A federal court has ruled that it is illegal for students at the Virginia Military Institute to say a nondenominational prayer before meals.

The Supreme Court ruled that prayer in schools is unconstitutional.

"Television personality Bill Maher... says Christians and others who are religious suffer from a neurological disorder that 'stops people from thinking.' ...'We are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion. I do believe that. I think that religion stops people from thinking. I think it justifies crazies. I think flying planes into a building was a faith-based initiative. I think religion is a neurological disorder.

"Four Christian protesters who demonstrated at a Philadelphia homosexual event face a possible 47 years in prison if convicted of felony charges filed against them, while a prosecutor referred to Scripture verses they read as 'fighting words.' ...

"Just in time for Christmas, Regions Hospital has removed the cross from its chapel and placed it in the chaplain's office adjacent to the chapel so nobody will see it.... 'It's a natural evolution,' Rivard said. 'We have a more diverse population in St. Paul, with people having more diverse religious beliefs.' ...

A California teacher has been barred by his school from giving students documents from American history that refer to God -- including the Declaration of Independence....

"The American Civil Liberties Union has threatened to sue the state of Louisiana because a state website promoting abstinence mentions God....

"On October 10, 2004, eleven Christians with the Philadelphia-based Repent America were arrested, jailed, and charged under hate crimes legislation during an evangelistic outreach at the annual 'OutFest' homosexual pride event held in the public streets of Philadelphia....

"ADF files suit against Marietta, Georgia, for requiring churches to own at least five acres.... 'The city’s zoning ordinances are essentially an illegal scheme to discourage new churches,' said ADF Attorney Kevin Theriot, based in Kansas City, Missouri. 'The zoning restrictions target ‘religious institutions’ alone. No one else is required to meet them.... A city cannot apply one set of rules to churches and another set of rules to everyone else.... That is clearly unconstitutional and illegal.'”

"A federal appeals court on Thursday upheld a judge's ruling that prohibits the Great Falls, S.C., Town Council from opening its meetings with a prayer that mentions Jesus Christ. A three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled that such prayers amount to an unconstitutional government advancement of one religion: Christianity. ....

"Robert Reich, the former U.S. labor secretary under President Bill Clinton, believes people who follow God pose a more significant threat to the modern world than terrorists do....

"Reich concludes his column by taking aim at those who believe in God: 'The great conflict of the 21st century will not be between the West and terrorism. ... The true battle will be between... those who believe in the primacy of the individual and those who believe that human beings owe their allegiance and identity to a higher authority; between those who give priority to life in this world and those who believe that human life is mere preparation for an existence beyond life; between those who believe in science, reason, and logic and those who believe that truth is revealed through Scripture and religious dogma. Terrorism will disrupt and destroy lives. But terrorism itself is not the greatest danger we face."

Recently, a woman in Houston, Texas was ordered by local police to stop handing out gospel tracts to children who knocked on her door during Halloween. Officers informed her that such activity is illegal (not true), and that she would be arrested if she continued.

A group led by the leader of the Unification Church is pushing an effort for Christian churches to cease displaying crosses, citing them as symbols of oppression and superiority.

The ACLU that backed lawsuits regarding the phrase "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and the propriety of the Ten Commandments in an Alabama Courthouse.

For almost a half century, LA County 's official seal has carried a tiny cross on it, as well as other images that are historically connected to the State of California:

For almost a half century, LA County 's official seal has carried a tiny cross on it, as well as other images that are historically connected to the State of California:

When the seal was adopted 47 years ago, neither the ACLU nor Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) ever challenged it. Suddenly, the Southern Chapter of the ACLU has decided to sue. They're screeching that the 'Latin Cross' on the seal is a "sectarian religious symbol" and reflects an "impermissible endorsement of Christianity." Somehow, this escaped their attention for almost half a decade.

Am I the only one who sees this stuff..???

Tim L.

</FONT>

Upvote 0

sparklecat

Senior Contributor
Nov 29, 2003
✟10,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
ChristianDude: perhaps you could provide sources for these stories that have more information? In some instances, especially if the source reporting the issue is biased, they'll focus on a religious issue that wasn't actually the reason for the arrest/protest, and for some of those examples, I'm a little skeptical of the reason given.

Upvote 0

Spyr

Feb 24, 2005
Montreal
✟15,826.00
Faith
Other Religion
Ninja Turtles said:
Of all the problems in this world like poverty, starvation, war, famine, etc., etc., why do conservative Christians so out and out about homosexuals. Of all the things that they could lend themselves to yield a positive influence, they completely ignore it just to go after homosexuals.

So the question is why isn't there more of a focus in Christianity on eliminating poverty in this country and abroad?

And I consider this an obssession because you could backtrack someone's posts and you'll see every post deals with the same exact subject: homosexuality.

Be careful with those exagerations, they'll discredit you. Poverty, starvation, war or famine aren't "completely ignore[d]" by christians and not "every post" is about homosexuality either. I may not be a christian but my family and I wouldn't be alive (or in such good working order) if christians hadn't helped us when we were poor and on the streets.

I will also say that while many would certainly like christians to get off the subject of homosexuality, poverty/starvation/war/famine aren't sins but homosexuality is. There's a lot of yelling about how christians are trying to make the world more christian-like (which is quite futile considering the bible states that if anything the world will degrade into debauchery before it's all over) but they're allowed to pursue their own happiness too.

Anyways, those are my two cents. :wave:

Upvote 0

Angel4Truth

Legend
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟65,490.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Spyr said:
Be careful with those exagerations, they'll discredit you. Poverty, starvation, war or famine aren't "completely ignore[d]" by christians and not "every post" is about homosexuality either. I may not be a christian but my family and I wouldn't be alive (or in such good working order) if christians hadn't helped us when we were poor and on the streets.

I will also say that while many would certainly like christians to get off the subject of homosexuality, poverty/starvation/war/famine aren't sins but homosexuality is. There's a lot of yelling about how christians are trying to make the world more christian-like (which is quite futile considering the bible states that if anything the world will degrade into debauchery before it's all over) but they're allowed to pursue their own happiness too.

Anyways, those are my two cents. :wave:
Excellent well stated post . :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ChristianCenturion

Veteran / Tuebor
Feb 9, 2005
In front of a computer
✟32,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ninja Turtles said:

Seeing that your wide brush ignores that the 'Liberal' or 'Moderate' 'Christian' doesn't have the ability to claim that they are 'the only ones' taking care of the poor, the needy, the oppressed, then your post comes back into perspective. Jesus told us that we would always have the poor, so the implied premise that there is poor and that Christians aren't 'taking care of that' is your other folly. It also ignores that God gives specific tasks and gifts to certain people. Given the level of maturity or lack thereof in these slanderous threads, once the false premise is peeled back the real issue is exposed... it usually points back to the finger pointer.

Maybe you could point out which of these in a small list is the "Liberal" ones?

Christian Relief Services
Church World Service
Fellowship of Associates of Medical Evangelism [FAME]
His Kids, Too
Maranatha Volunteers International
MEDAIR
Salvation Army
Samaritan's Purse
World Hope International
World Relief
World Vision International@

Yet another demonstration that there are those that wish to try and separate what God has declared one and in their rebellion to or within the Church, they violate and reveal themselves in light of this:

John 13:35
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

1 John 4:20
If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.

1 John 5:2
This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.

I take it that I do not have to explain the difference between God, brother and neighbor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.