Conservative Anglican. Moving soon. Don't know where to attend anymore.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Those 'radical' Reformers simply listed the commandments the Bible did, and rightly included the prohibition on graven images found in Exodus 20:4-6, which offence the RCC church is heavily invested in. The RCC lists bans on coveting twice in their list to make up for the missing graven image prohibition.
Considering that both the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada have declared full fellowship with the ELCA/ELCIC; it is implicit that Anglicans also accept the "Lutheran/Catholic" version. If such is not the case, it should preclude such full fellowship.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,105.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Considering that both the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada have declared full fellowship with the ELCA/ELCIC; it is implicit that Anglicans also accept the "Lutheran/Catholic" version. If such is not the case, it should preclude such full fellowship.
Also worth pointing out the Provo Communion.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟207,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Point taken, it looks like the Cof E 10 Commandments does include the prohibition against idols that the RCC omits.

The Commandments | The Church of England

The Catholic Church lists the entire text of the Ten Commandments in the Catholic Catechism, using a shortened Traditional version for reference. The charge that Catholics omit any of God's Commandments is absolutely false, I have provided a link to relevant portion of the Catechism: Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Ragdoll

Apr 26, 2022
Madison, WI
✟22,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Regarding the listing of the 10 commandments, remember that the numbering did not come from the Bible, rather these numberings are man made;
Lutheran and Catholic (Traditional Christian) Version:
1. I am the Lord your God: You shall not have strange Gods before me.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord’s Day.
4. Honor your father and mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s goods.​

Then the Radical Reformers who were Iconoclasts came along after the Lutheran Reformation; So they changed the enumeration accordingly, and commenced pulling down altars, destroying stained glass, removing statues, desecrating tombs of the saints etc. The Peasant's revolt and Oliver Cromwell's revolution come to mind:

Protestant Version
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy.
5. Honor thy father and thy mother.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness.
10. Thou shalt not covet.​

I'm a Lutheran so I know these things. But the Lutheran Church is the only Church that has numbered the 10 Commandments like this. Its really one of the only things that bothers me about the Lutheran Church - that is having the ESV as the pulpit Bible.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Lutheran so I know these things. But the Lutheran Church is the only Church that has numbered the 10 Commandments like this. Its really one of the only things that bothers me about the Lutheran Church - that is having the ESV as the pulpit Bible.
Lutherans and Catholics actually both number this way.

What version of the Bible do you prefer? What do you dislike about the ESV? I personally like the way that our previous version reads a bit better (RSV, not the NRSV), I also love the language of the KJV. We went back to the RSV (we are free to do so) because of the the more traditional Language, but soon learned that the congregation likes the simpler, easy to read language of the ESV.

Interesting to note that world wide, the ESV is now the most widely used as an officially authorized translation world wide. LCMS and LCC are leading the pack in North America. Likewise, we also used the ESV translation of the Apocrypha, Lutheran edition with notes. for The Apocrypha, English Standard Version

Many of us are starting to use the Augustine Bible, Catholic Edition, rather than carry two books. Pastor gave me his Paperback when he upgraded to Leather-bound.
upload_2022-5-14_6-48-17.png

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Semantics, you don't have to go through Canterbury to get to Jesus.
Friendly reminder: You are in an Anglican forum. You are welcome to prayer and fellowship, but cannot debate against anyone here.

God bless

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To be fair, I don't think Anglicans have ever thought you had to go through Canterbury, either.

But it is good to be clear about the relationships (or lack thereof) between various bodies claiming an Anglican identity.

Upvote 0

Ragdoll

Apr 26, 2022
Madison, WI
✟22,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Lutherans and Catholics actually both number this way.

What version of the Bible do you prefer? What do you dislike about the ESV? I personally like the way that our previous version reads a bit better (RSV, not the NRSV), I also love the language of the KJV. We went back to the RSV (we are free to do so) because of the the more traditional Language, but soon learned that the congregation likes the simpler, easy to read language of the ESV.

Interesting to note that world wide, the ESV is now the most widely used as an officially authorized translation world wide. LCMS and LCC are leading the pack in North America. Likewise, we also used the ESV translation of the Apocrypha, Lutheran edition with notes. for The Apocrypha, English Standard Version

Many of us are starting to use the Augustine Bible, Catholic Edition, rather than carry two books. Pastor gave me his Paperback when he upgraded to Leather-bound.
View attachment 315929

I would love to see a modified spelling and grammar version of the 1537 Matthew's Bible as a pulpit Bible in a Church. Apart from that, not all Bibles are good pulpit Bibles. The ESV is a decent translation but not the best. The NKJV and MEV make for better choices. But as a translation for home reading I like the ESV and RSV (hate the NRSV and NAB).

The main reason I don't like the ESV as a pulpit Bible is that everyone who reads from it during service sounds dull. But the KJV sounds much more expressive being read out loud (considering the person knows how to properly read and express the KJV).

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟816,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would love to see a modified spelling and grammar version of the 1537 Matthew's Bible as a pulpit Bible in a Church. Apart from that, not all Bibles are good pulpit Bibles. The ESV is a decent translation but not the best. The NKJV and MEV make for better choices. But as a translation for home reading I like the ESV and RSV (hate the NRSV and NAB).

The main reason I don't like the ESV as a pulpit Bible is that everyone who reads from it during service sounds dull. But the KJV sounds much more expressive being read out loud (considering the person knows how to properly read and express the KJV).
Who does not love the KJV, and for a time in the 80's, we did use the NKJV (there is a copy sitting right in front of me), however the KJV and NKJV do not take into consideration more recently discovered texts that were unknown at the time of those translations.

The other consideration is that the younger people are unfamiliar with the language. (Heck, members of the congregation rebel when we read from the RSV.)

Being understood is the most important part of reading Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟535,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I would love to see a modified spelling and grammar version of the 1537 Matthew's Bible as a pulpit Bible in a Church.
Are you familiar with the New Matthew's Bible? It is the work of a Canadian named Ruth Magnusson Davis with a background in law and both Lutheranism and Anglicanism. She has released the NT but is still completing the OT.

Upvote 0

Ragdoll

Apr 26, 2022
Madison, WI
✟22,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Are you familiar with the New Matthew's Bible? It is the work of a Canadian named Ruth Magnusson Davis with a background in law and both Lutheranism and Anglicanism. She has released the NT but is still completing the OT.

Yes. I'm friends with Ruth. I'm hoping she will be able to complete the OT. I like what she did to the NT.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Ragdoll

Apr 26, 2022
Madison, WI
✟22,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Who does not love the KJV, and for a time in the 80's, we did use the NKJV (there is a copy sitting right in front of me), however the KJV and NKJV do not take into consideration more recently discovered texts that were unknown at the time of those translations.

The other consideration is that the younger people are unfamiliar with the language. (Heck, members of the congregation rebel when we read from the RSV.)

Being understood is the most important part of reading Scripture.

I prefer the trusted Textus Receptus.

Upvote 0