Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sooooo, not taking the bait

Conrad Vine has always been pretty controversial
But, he goes a bit over the top with this sermon
Myself, I'm a bit torn

Retrospectively we see some bad news just now coming out about COVID vaccines for certain age groups that they were not telling us in 2020. But Conrad is not focused on that. His focus appears to be on the idea that having someone with an infectious disease like COVID or the flu should not affect our gathering in groups with them no matter how many people are killed each year by such a disease, because this would be a restriction on religious liberty.

This is strange because in every "other year" whenever someone had the flu - we urged that person not to come to church and urged family members of that person to stay home as well for the safety of other people in church. IT is not like this idea just came up for COVID.

Now in the case of COVID we had many more infections than we get with the flu and many more deaths so while one might argue that the government went overboard -- the truth is that a lot of people would be fine avoiding a pandemic for a few months.

Though he seems to pivot from that - to focus on a Oct 2021 statement, not sure yet how he gets there.

Concerns Regarding COVID-19, Church Governance, and Liberty of Conscience | Adventist Review.

I am not sure what his issue is with that statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary O'
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟418,716.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sooooo, not taking the bait

Conrad Vine has always been pretty controversial
But, he goes a bit over the top with this sermon
Myself, I'm a bit torn
He is a bit over the top, but has some good instincts on the issues..

Reactions: Gary O'
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟418,716.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Retrospectively we see some bad news just now coming out about COVID vaccines for certain age groups that they were not telling us in 2020. But Conrad is not focused on that. His focus appears to be on the idea that having someone with an infectious disease like COVID or the flu should not affect our gathering in groups with them no matter how many people are killed each year by such a disease, because this would be a restriction on religious liberty.

This is strange because in every "other year" whenever someone had the flu - we urged that person not to come to church and urged family members of that person to stay home as well for the safety of other people in church. IT is not like this idea just came up for COVID.

Now in the case of COVID we had many more infections than we get with the flu and many more deaths so while one might argue that the government went overboard -- the truth is that a lot of people would be fine avoiding a pandemic for a few months.

Though he seems to pivot from that - to focus on a Oct 2021 statement, not sure yet how he gets there.

Concerns Regarding COVID-19, Church Governance, and Liberty of Conscience | Adventist Review.

I am not sure what his issue is with that statement.
He wants a hard answer which the church will not really do.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Disease control is a tough issue.
True. We have had the flu - and flu vaccines for a very very long time.

'That goes for a number of vaccines used for over a century, (1945) in the case of the flu.

In May of 1980, the World Health Assembly announced that smallpox had been eradicated from the world (as compared to 100 years before that).

==============

I can't think of a single bible study series given to new believers in the SDA church that ended with "Whatever you do - don't get vaccinated" so while individuals here or there may have that view of vaccines - it is not actually part of the Bible studies given to new believers - as far as I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
I can't think of a single bible study series given to new believers in the SDA church that ended with "Whatever you do - don't get vaccinated" so while individuals here or there may have that view of vaccines - it is not actually part of the Bible studies given to new believers - as far as I know.
I can second that. It was a question asked during my study (it was in a group). The answer was that there was NO official stance on not getting vaccinated and given the stance on health w/in the church, vaccines were probably a really good idea. My church went totally online during the worst of Covid and when we reopened, since the county was still mandating masking, masks were required to attend in person. The requirement was ended when the county got rid of the masking mandate. Some of our elderly still wear masks.

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

Mugen

Jan 21, 2022
NRW
✟12,931.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can second that. It was a question asked during my study (it was in a group). The answer was that there was NO official stance on not getting vaccinated and given the stance on health w/in the church, vaccines were probably a really good idea. My church went totally online during the worst of Covid and when we reopened, since the county was still mandating masking, masks were required to attend in person. The requirement was ended when the county got rid of the masking mandate. Some of our elderly still wear masks.
I think no one can really tell another person what to do. If they dont get the vaccine and die its on you and if they get the vaccine and die its on you.
I didnt get vaccinated - didnt ever get tested for covid either. I believe the Lord would have 'shown' me if in my particular case the vaccine would have been beneficial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums