• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

congestive heart failure

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I have this condition. How can I keep the swelling down?

First if all, are you taking meds? Continue to take your meds as the doctor charts them. I had a scare about 10 years back when my nana stopped taking her medications and got really sick really quickly. She found that one of the meds that she took made her pee loads and she struggled to get to the toilet on time.

- Gentle exercise is good, it helps with that mechanism that gets blood from the feet back to the heart
- Ensure you arent wearing socks or trousers that are tight, they can impede the circulation in your feet
- Reducing your salt intake can help

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have this condition. How can I keep the swelling down?
A few Natural substances to consider-

1. Lots of magnesium. Up to 650 mg/day, according to Dr. Mark Sircus.

2. 1/2 tsp of unprocessed earth salt per day with water or food. (Google and Youtube Dr. David Brownstein. Book- "Salt your way to health". I advised a gal in my office who had been on blood pressure meds for years with little results. She followed this advice, and her systolic pressure dropped from a steady 151 to 120 within 2 weeks. She is now off of meds and still maintains her lower blood pressure with unprocessed salt. Do not under any circumstances consume table salt. That stuff is garbage and has calcium silicate as an anti-caking agent, which is basically microscopic particles of glass (sand) that's been associated with arterial injury and plaque build-up. You need unprocessed earth salt, e.g.,Himalayan, Redmond's (brand), sea salt. It's all about mineral intake and the fact that the body needs salt to survive.

3. Omega 3 oils, e.g. Flaxseed, help combat inflammation.

4. Other natural foods include garlic, ginger, turmeric, raw unprocessed apple cider vinegar.

5. Don't forget Iodine. 12.5 mg/day minimum, according to Dr. David Brownstein, Dr. Jorge Flechas and others. The average Japanese national consumes 13.8 mg/day through their diet, so don't readily believe 150 mcg is all we need. That's a ridiculously low amount that will only prevent having a goiter. I've taken up to 200mg/day for 3 weeks as a therapeutic dose with no side effects. Fatal doses range from 3,500-7500 mg, so don't worry. I take maintenance doses of 12-18 mg/day, and rarely get sick nowadays. Lugol's or Nascent Iodine is recommended.

Take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldFashionGal
Upvote 0

OldFashionGal

May 17, 2015
✟9,197.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
A few Natural substances to consider-

1. Lots of magnesium. Up to 650 mg/day, according to Dr. Mark Sircus.

2. 1/2 tsp of unprocessed earth salt per day with water or food. (Google and Youtube Dr. David Brownstein. Book- "Salt your way to health". I advised a gal in my office who had been on blood pressure meds for years with little results. She followed this advice, and her systolic pressure dropped from a steady 151 to 120 within 2 weeks. She is now off of meds and still maintains her lower blood pressure with unprocessed salt. Do not under any circumstances consume table salt. That stuff is garbage and has calcium silicate as an anti-caking agent, which is basically microscopic particles of glass (sand) that's been associated with arterial injury and plaque build-up. You need unprocessed earth salt, e.g.,Himalayan, Redmond's (brand), sea salt. It's all about mineral intake and the fact that the body needs salt to survive.

3. Omega 3 oils, e.g. Flaxseed, help combat inflammation.

4. Other natural foods include garlic, ginger, turmeric, raw unprocessed apple cider vinegar.

5. Don't forget Iodine. 12.5 mg/day minimum, according to Dr. David Brownstein, Dr. Jorge Flechas and others. The average Japanese national consumes 13.8 mg/day through their diet, so don't readily believe 150 mcg is all we need. That's a ridiculously low amount that will only prevent having a goiter. I've taken up to 200mg/day for 3 weeks as a therapeutic dose with no side effects. Fatal doses range from 3,500-7500 mg, so don't worry. I take maintenance doses of 12-18 mg/day, and rarely get sick nowadays. Lugol's or Nascent Iodine is recommended.

Take care.

I read some really good information in your reply! I learn a lot at Dr. Mercola's site. I always make sure to search out for safety any natural remedies as well as side effects to meds. I NEVER tell anyone to stop taking meds but more people should be aware of the side effects and discuss any side effects with their doctor. I am highly allergic to meds or they don't help so I had to learn safer alternatives including some of the ones you named here.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Share with your doctor any "natural" or dietary treatments your are trying because several will cause serious drug-food interaction with heart meds. Ginger and garlic are two foods/supplements that can have dangerous interactions with anti-coagulants. Salt substitutes or potassium rich foods can cause serious interactions if you are on some diuretics. And grapefruit or grapefruit juice are also dangerous to eat when on certain medications.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Looking for people who might know something about this condition.
what is it, and how do you manage your condition?

This is a serious condition, that can be caused for a variety of reasons.

The most important thing is to; assure you have a real good cardiologist and you follow what they recommend, closely.

Upvote 0