Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Vylo said:
Go on....

What do I need to go on about?

What more needs to be said. The judge is part of a group that supported the plaintiff in this suit.

Would you feel comfortable with a judge who financially supports the NRA hearing a case brought before him by the NRA?

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
ksen said:
What do I need to go on about?

What more needs to be said. The judge is part of a group that supported the plaintiff in this suit.

Would you feel comfortable with a judge who financially supports the NRA hearing a case brought before him by the NRA?
Or.....how about a judge who has to make a ruling on a defendant, but goes on hunting trips hosted by the defendant and refuses to recuse himself from the case?

I do agree the ACLU donations from a group she is a member of should have been brought up.

Reactions: ksen
Upvote 0

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
JoyJuice said:
Or.....how about a judge who has to make a ruling on a defendant, but goes on hunting trips hosted by the defendant and refuses to recuse himself from the case?

That shouldn't have happened either.

I do agree the ACLU donations from a group she is a member of should have been brought up.

That's twice in ONE day!!

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not a big deal. I don't think it violates the canons of judicial ethics. And it's silly to expect that judges should be apolitical when they take their robes off.

But, this story is developing, as they say. While my instinct is that this is no big deal (in line with the Alito/Vanguard pseudo-scandal), more could come out.

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i don't think its a big deal, either, as the aclu is involved in many civil rights issues, and not just the issue involved in this case.

its not like it was a personal donation, either. she doles out the money in accordance to the groups wishes, and the group is rather large.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think I've seen enough facts to definitively pronounce this story silly, or at least deeply uninformed by how charitable foundations actually work.

Here's how large private foundations work (I audit 'em, so I know whereof I speak): the grant staff puts together a list based on the guidelines promulgated by the board. The list is presented at the (usually) quarterly board meeting. If there are any large grants (and by large, I mean at least $5-10 million dollars), they might be pointed out to the board. At that point, the board votes yes.

That's it. People on the board are their because they're successful people, and they don't have the time to pore over a list of dinky grants that can go on for pages and pages (the list of grantees for Taylor's org in 2004 comprised over 1,000 grants, and went on for 20 pages).

The upshot here is that, because of the small size of the grant to the Michigan ACLU, Judge Taylor never even saw the grant. Since she didn't see the grant, she couldn't be expected to disclose it. (even if she seen the name on the list, one can hardly expect that she should remember it. Then there's the minor point that the grantee, the Michigan ACLU, is a legally distinct organization from the ACLU, which was the party to the suit).

Upvote 0