Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I like a lot of Lutheran thought processes and theology so far, but have a few hangers yet.

One of them is confession and absolution. I have seen multiple places where it seems they justify the pastor saying "I absolve you of your sins", and then relate it to the keys given in the Gospel for binding and loosing.

I am having a hard time seeing this as any different than Catholicism - it looks identical, and even explained with the same passages.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So I like a lot of Lutheran thought processes and theology so far, but have a few hangers yet.

One of them is confession and absolution. I have seen multiple places where it seems they justify the pastor saying "I absolve you of your sins", and then relate it to the keys given in the Gospel for binding and loosing.

I am having a hard time seeing this as any different than Catholicism - it looks identical, and even explained with the same passages.

There are, naturally, going to be some similarities. Just like Lutheran baptism and Roman Catholic baptism look nearly identical. You kind of have to go a little bit beneath to surface to find how the differences are both substantial and nuanced.

In Roman Catholicism it is expected that when someone makes Confession they are to spell out their sins. It may not be this way anymore since Vatican II, but in the past if you left the confessional with sins you forgot to confess, you actually just had more sins added on top of everything else you already confessed. So Luther, and the Lutheran Confessions place a great deal of emphasis that in no way is it necessary to have to try and remember every single tiny niggling little sin. This was a source of great anxiety for Luther when he was a monk, and it drove his confessor and spiritual father in the Augustinian Order crazy because Luther's conscience could never be made well. Rather than the conscience being freed by Absolution, it drove Luther to agony and despair.

So we understand that the point of Confession and Absolution isn't about trying to remember every teeny tiny little sin--we sin so often and so frequently and often without even thinking about it that if we tried to recount every single sin it would, like Luther, drive us mad. Rather we have the opportunity to bring those sins that are injuring our conscience, confess them to the pastor who does by the name and authority of Jesus Christ exercise the office of the Keys to pronounce our sins forgiven.

And that brings us to a second key difference. Private confession to the pastor is not required. Nobody has to make private confession, but it is available for our benefit, that we might have our consciences healed by God's gracious forgiveness which is declared to us. Because it is not as though pastors have magic sin-forgiving powers, it's just that they are Christ's ministers, who exercise the office of the Keys which Jesus Christ gave to His entire Church. The corporate and general confession of sins we pray every Divine Service is more than sufficient. When we come together as the Church and begin our worship by confessing to God that we are sinners, we have failed to love God, we have failed to love our neighbor, we have sinned by what we have done and left undone, in our words, in our thoughts, and in our deeds. So we confess and pray for the forgiveness of God who is, as St. John says, "faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

And then there is a third difference. In Roman Catholicism it is believed that the Keys are somewhat uniquely given to St. Peter, and thus the exercising of the Keys requires pastors to be under the Pope. While it is true in Matthew 16 our Lord says to Peter, "I will give you the Keys of the kingdom", He also says to all His Apostles in John 20 "Whoevers sins you forgive are forgiven them". The Keys do not belong to Peter only, but rather through the Apostles Christ has given the office of the Keys to the entire Church. Pastors, therefore, do not have a special "sacerdotal" (a word basically that means "priestly" in the sense that there were priests in the Temple in the Old Testament, the English word "priest" actually comes from the Greek presbyteros, "elder", i.e. a pastor) grace which somehow sets them apart from ordinary Christians. Pastors are ordinary Christians. Pastors are called and ordained by the Church (that means pastors are not over the Church, but under the Church, as servants) whom the Church for the purpose of good order calls and ordains for the work of pastoring, of exercising the Keys. Jesus called Apostles, but Jesus did not institute deacons, pastors, bishops--the Church did. The Apostles created the diaconate to delegate certain responsibilities. Likewise, the Church delegates, we delegate this specific ministry to certain persons--pastors.

Those are going to be some of the really big and important differences.

But, and this is important, that Christ said for His Church to preach the word, to proclaim forgiveness of sins in His name, that He said "I give you the Keys of the kingdom" and "whoever's sins you forgive are forgiven them" is all very explicitly biblical. The Church wouldn't be the Church if she didn't have Confession and Absolution anymore than she would be the Church without Baptism, the Lord's Supper, or the preaching of the word. It is Word and Sacrament which makes the Church the Church. Without Word and Sacrament the Church might as well be a fraternity hall or a bowling alley. It is only because Jesus called together for Himself a Christian people to hear and believe and preach the word, baptized, gathered at His Table, confessing their sins and receiving forgiveness of our sins that we are what He calls us to be.

And so it is upon this Rock: Jesus Christ and the confession that He is, indeed, the Christ, the Son of the living God, that His Church is built and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟399,964.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, this is either very offensive or very comforting, depending on how we understand the words. It sounds offensive in the sense that only God can forgive sins, and that it sounds like the Pastor has some divinely given power or special authority to forgive sins in his own name. But this is not the intention or how Lutherans understand it all. Rather, the words are meant for our comfort, in that it removes all doubt as to whether or not someone who is burdened by sin is truly forgiven. It's an unconditional declaration of forgiveness. It's pure grace. That's the intention.

Perhaps the simplest way to think about it is this: When we share the Gospel, when we say to anyone that Jesus died for them and that they are objectively forgiven, this is the same as Absolution. That is, the Pastor is not forgiving in his own name, or by some power given especially to him, rather, he is confirming the good news of Jesus, that our sins are truly forgiven. So the Office of the Keys is given to the Church (all believers), and not to the Pope alone, and that's the essential difference between the Roman Catholic and the Lutheran understanding.

I'd be glad to expand on this, but it can be helpful to understand that our Lord Jesus Christ paid for all sin on the cross. He is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. And this good news is delivered to us through means. Through people and things. So when we read or hear His Word and receive it in faith, we can rejoice in that we have that very forgiveness which Jesus promises us. And this same promise of forgiveness of sins is attached to the waters of Baptism, the bread and the wine in the Eucharist, the Lord's Prayer, and the Absolution, which is nothing more than a simple declaration of the Gospel, so it's not an addition to or a way around Jesus, but it is the comfort of Jesus. So, our Lord, in His great love and mercy, both forgave our sins once and for all upon the cross, and every day as we continually receive His promise. So in this way, there's an overflow of love and grace, which is why we may sing "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness". And He has given us these different means of forgiving us, not for His own benefit, but for our benefit, that we can be assured that the person and works of Jesus are objective and true, even for us.

So, maybe we can think of Absolution in two parts: (1) Absolution in general, which is the Office of the Keys in John 20:23, and (2) the language used by LCMS and many other Confessional Lutherans. The first thing shouldn't be contentious, because it's found clearly in the Bible. The second thing, however, namely, the exact wording, is something we have Christian freedom in. I mention this, because in our church body, we opt for a different language. I say: "Upon your confession, I, by virtue of my office, as a called and ordained servant of the Word, announce the grace of God to all of you who truly repent — who trust only in the person and works of our Lord Jesus Christ for your salvation — I affirm His promise of forgiveness to you in the name of the Father, and of the + Son, and of the Holy Spirit." There are pros and cons to both conditional and unconditional statements.

Hope this may be of some help and the peace of Christ to you!

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟744,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Markie Boy, have you found peace with this theological stumbling block? From my own experience I LOVE to hear Holy Absolution and when I'm feeling lazy and tired, when I just want to stay home from Divine Service I go just to receive Holy Absolution. I also attend private Confession with my Pastor and use the Rite in the LSB.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0