Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If there's no traditional Anglican Church near you, and an Anglican priest over two hours away is willing to hear your confession and grant you absolution over the phone, is it valid?
Going into your closet and talking to God privately is "valid" if we get right down to it.

What the priest does is declare the absolution and assure the penitent that he has been forgiven. That's the case whether he does it during the liturgy or in a private confession.

Reactions: alexier
Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Going into your closet and talking to God privately is "valid" if we get right down to it.

What the priest does is declare the absolution and assure the penitent that he has been forgiven. That's the case whether he does it during the liturgy or in a private confession.
Still it would be interesting to hear if it's valid from an Anglican perspective for a priest to offer absolution over the phone. I know it's not in the Catholic Church, but I've never heard a yay or nay from any branch of Anglicanism. We have our bishop attending our Episcopal formation class this week. I may pose the question to him if we get a chance.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Whether it's allowed or not I don't know. The prayer book doesn't provide for it or any other authorized liturgy I know of.

As to whether it's valid, yes, of course. God always forgives a penitent heart whether that is in the liturgy or when one privately asks or whenever one has asked someone to pray for him. The absolution is valid because it declares a truth. What is distinctive about it is that a priest can officially declare this forgiveness in the name of the Church. But there are many ways to proclaim a truth. If I were to reassure you privately in an unofficial capacity or even online that your sins are forgiven should you have repented of them then that would still be a valid statement insofar as it proclaims a truth.

Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

Evangelical charismatic Anglican Catholic
May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I would tend to agree, everbecoming, but I think the question relates more to sacramental grace and what the pre-requisites are with respect to the declaration of absolution. The words of absolution themselves are the sign in the sacrament, so I don't see (barring some specific prohibition) why using a telephone would invalidate that.

A curious question, though!

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well some of that will depend on one's sacramental theology, I guess. I say that baptism and the Eucharist are the two Sacraments Christ ordained according to the scriptures. Anything else that serves as an outward sign of an inward grace is a sacrament as I use that term: this is a more primitive usage (although still prevalent in the East) but it really comes down to how one defines terms. I acknowledge that the five "other sacraments" hold a privileged place among these numerous outward signs of grace.

In regard to absolution -- and it is only one sign of forgiveness -- the only thing that makes it different as far as I see is that the priest has been specifically authorized to speak in the name of the Church in a public manner. I know the church authorizes the absolution in the Daily Offices, the Eucharistic liturgy, and in private confession. I do NOT know that it prohibits giving absolution in other circumstances, nor do I know of it granting permission to do so. That could affect whether it was truly an absolution -- can a priest speak in the Church's name when she has not allowed him to? Is he allowed to do something if he is not specifically prohibited from doing it?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
With the RCChurch, I believe it's the case that a priest--apart from his ordination--has to be additionally authorized to hear confessions and could be denied that authorization. If this is so, it might have nothing to do with our own priests, but if I'm right about this, there's probably some principle behind it that answers your question.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In Roman Catholicism even a priest they recognize such as one in the SSPX or some other priest cannot absolve without faculties to do so. Whether it has anything to do with my reasoning I do not know.

All I mean if it wasn't clear is that an absolution involves speaking officially in behalf of the Church. I could pronounce the formula but I am not authorized to do so: I cannot speak in the Church's name as though I were ordained by any legitimate authority. But since we don't tie forgiveness of sins to an absolution even in ordinary circumstances an unauthorized absolution need not entail that forgiveness is not received.

These days deacons and laity may substitute the pronouns and what is delivered is basically absolution. Perhaps there is an implied difference between that and an absolution? In any case that formula could be used in a situation like this should there be any scruples on what is allowed since the alternative formula doesn't seem to be restricted.

This may involve other questions too. An illicit baptism is still valid right? And public in that it is publically recognized as an act of God in the church no matter what the circumstances so long as the proper use of the formula and words are intact. (Some may dispute this. I don't think Anglicans defined any of this.) In that case it may not matter if the absolution is authorized though I don't recommended anything illicit. And it isn't prohibited explicitly so if there is no problem on that count there is no problem at all in my opinion.

There is not much to worry about. Sometimes it is helpful to discuss a problem or even sin with a trusted friend, laity or clergy, even outside of a specific rite of confession. If you desire a sure absolution, attend the Eucharistic liturgy afterward where you will surely be absolved.

Of course the post mentioned a lack of access to a traditional parish. In that case you may still be able to find a suitable liturgy of some other denomination in a parish that pronounces a public absolution. This can be a comfort even if you are not comfortable or barred from receiving Holy Communion.

Failing that you may read the scriptures on forgiveness or have a friend declare them to you to your comfort. You may do all of these things if desired.

There is no need to be troubled. In the early church so far as I have learned there was no absolution as we know it today. God's forgiveness does not depend on it, though it is a comfort to hear the priest pronounce it.

In my opinion in direct answer to your question, yes, it would be valid. Do what you think you should. God won't withhold forgiveness over these irrelevant if interesting technicalities. You aren't breaking any rules! Just keep in mind confidentiality issues that might arise with use of a phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0