Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Well it appears to be so and thriving as per recent comments in the other Catholic forum.

This is also a theme that we have been discussing but related to God and His acceptance of us. I would like to also bring up points and theories as to why Christians and especially Catholics (on this website at least) fail to accept one another.

So as Catholics, we are indoctrinated as to how God loves each and everyone of us. We are also told that God is holy and just...that apart from Jesus, He could have nothing to do with us because of our inherent and active sinfulness.

So Holiness and sin can not mix. Is this your understanding?

Loki

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
✟17,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
apart from Jesus, He could have nothing to do with us because of our inherent and active sinfulness.

Is this really so? I thought the position was that humanity was innately deprived but not depraved, but then again I'm terrible at theology. Though, how one defines relation to/with Jesus greatly affects God (the father's) relation with humanity.

As for the acceptance thing, I can't comment on that, what with the whole misanthropy thing. Though perhaps dislike of people isn't the same as nonacceptance of them. They can do their thing as long as they leave me and mine alone.

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Is this really so? I thought the position was that humanity was innately deprived but not depraved, but then again I'm terrible at theology. Though, how one defines relation to/with Jesus greatly affects God (the father's) relation with humanity.

As for the acceptance thing, I can't comment on that, what with the whole misanthropy thing. Though perhaps dislike of people isn't the same as nonacceptance of them. They can do their thing as long as they leave me and mine alone.

But you only quoted what I said about the Catholic dichotomy: yes, we are to know that without Jesus who has excepted and freed us from sin, we are essentially without our Father's love because of sinfulness. My Point is that we are taught that God is Holy and Just as well- that God loves us no matter what.

Catholic theology does not teach us why Jesus subsequently returned to our Father, despite being separated from Him by OUR sins nor does is it seem to be aware of the irony of using the Eternal Word and the CCC to represent sin or of the equivocal emotional effect that could be from this depiction of God. When we read the gospels about sin and study the Catechism, it becomes clear that that the nature of God's love for us is severely limited. It seems we have to ignore or rationalize this teaching of sin to even develop a secure and trusting relationshiop with God. Catholic Christians who study the CCC and the gospel message have have to find some way of minimizing or excluding from their awareness the punitive and terrifying aspect of God's character I am convinced....that he will condemn those to hell who do not accept Christ as their Savior.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.