Concerning Genesis and the creation of humankind

JCScar

Feb 8, 2015
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
As I was rereading Genesis, I got really confused by the account of human creation.

In Genesis 1:27 it reads:

So God created human beings* in his own image.
In the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

This takes place during the fifth day.

Later on in Genesis 2:7 it says:

Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground. He breathed the breath of life into the man's nostrils; and the man became a living person.

And after that God creates woman to be Adam's helper.

However, what were the human beings created on the fifth day? Does that mean Adam and Eve were not the first humans to be created? They were just the only ones who had access to Eden? It says that after God created Adam, He then made the Garden of Eden and placed Adam there.

Also God commands these human beings from the fifth day to reign on the earth as well as over the animals while He commands Adam to watch and tend over the garden.

This is rather interesting because if there were other humans created before Adam and Eve (who are often seen as the first humans in a lot of Christianity), then that also means that they were the ones who determined all of humankind's fall.

Why were they special and why was the Garden of Eden so sacred that only the two of them could be there to tend it?

My version of the Bible has little footnote on the Hebrew translations so in 1:27 human beings* is the Hebrew word ha-adam and clearly Adam's name means man(he is simply called man while Eve is called woman; after the fall Adam names her Eve).

If we were to go by the theory that Adam and Eve were the original man and woman then who are the human beings? Was Adam this human being? and if so was there something different about him before he was given a body and had life breathed into that body?

Or as I have stated before were Adam and Eve not the first man and woman?

Or perhaps some other theories?

Anyways I'm non-denominational and since I believe the Bible is God's word, what is the explanation for the account of human creation exactly?

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I was rereading Genesis, I got really confused by the account of human creation.
As already pointed out Gen 1:26-29 is AN OVERVIEW of Gen 2:7-23. And it was not on the 5th day but the 6th day of creation. Since you say that you believe that the Bible is God's Word, you might want to consider a different approach to Genesis:

1. If you don't already have a King James Bible, get one, and begin reading there. Then consult other versions if necessary. Why? Because all modern versions have been corrupted. For example, your version says "human beings" (1:27). That is an interpretation. The KJV Bible says "man" in English, and the Hebrew text says adam = ruddy = man = person , i.e. human being. Your footnote is an interpretation since in this verse "man" is generic for "mankind", NOT THE NAME FOR ADAM, whereas it is only at 2:19 that he is now "Adam" since he has been given authority to name the animals, and he too must have a name.

2. You have two options -- (a) believe that the entire Genesis account is inspired, factual, historical, chronological, spiritual and completely reliable, or (b)delve into theories and get confused. Why? Because theories are man-made and Scripture is the Word of God. This Genesis account is contested by the evolutionists as well as many others who resort to legends and fables.

3. Adam and Eve were indeed the first humans created and that in itself made them special. But God gave them a magnificent garden to tend, and He also had fellowship with them because they had no sin. They lost access to Eden because of their own disobedience. Because of Adam the "virus" of sin contaminated the human race (all human beings go back to Adam).

4. Adam was simply red dust before he was created. God formed his body, then breathed life into him. But life was more than just "soul". Adam was spirit, soul, and body. The day he sinned his spirit died, even though his body and soul live for hundreds of years.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As already pointed out Gen 1:26-29 is AN OVERVIEW of Gen 2:7-23. And it was not on the 5th day but the 6th day of creation. Since you say that you believe that the Bible is God's Word, you might want to consider a different approach to Genesis:

1. If you don't already have a King James Bible, get one, and begin reading there. Then consult other versions if necessary. Why? Because all modern versions have been corrupted. For example, your version says "human beings" (1:27). That is an interpretation. The KJV Bible says "man" in English, and the Hebrew text says adam = ruddy = man = person , i.e. human being. Your footnote is an interpretation since in this verse "man" is generic for "mankind", NOT THE NAME FOR ADAM, whereas it is only at 2:19 that he is now "Adam" since he has been given authority to name the animals, and he too must have a name.
<snip>

This is a tired, old argument. The KJV is just a version, like many others. It is based on texts available at the time, using translation methods available at the time, with a cultural knowledge available at the time. It was also a revision of earlier translations not an entirely new one. Modern translations are much better than those created more than 400 years ago.

Back to the topic at hand...

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If anyone tries to interpret the bible in accordance with conventional wisdom and logic they are going to come up short. 1 Corinthians explaiins it perfectly...

"For it is written:&#8220;I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.&#8221;

Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and [non-Jews] look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to [non-Jews], but to those whom God has called, both Jews and [non-Jews], Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength."

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a tired, old argument. The KJV is just a version, like many others. It is based on texts available at the time, using translation methods available at the time, with a cultural knowledge available at the time. It was also a revision of earlier translations not an entirely new one. Modern translations are much better than those created more than 400 years ago.
Those remarks were not addressed to you, and had you been wise you would have refrained from any comment. A Bible which has been proven worthy over 400 years cannot be so lightly dismissed, and none of your premises are correct.

Once again, to the poster of the OP, if you want a reliable, tried and true translation that has been respected for centuries, don't pay attention to negativity. It will pay you to stick with the KJV.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe Genesis chapter 1 to 2:4, is a summary of the whole of Creation from beginning to end, in fact, and because the last line (Genesis 2:4) says this is a HISTORY of the HEAVENS and Earth in the time of their being created...

Then, in Genesis 2:5 onward gives us the details of the summary in Genesis 1 to 2:4...

God, the Father has not entered into his rest (the seventh day) yet, he is still very active in our world and in Heaven, we could be in the fifth or sixth day, (Just doesn't say) after Genesis 2:5...

When the Heavens and the earth are completed (perfected) to the Father's satisfaction, he will go to rest (the seventh day) and leave Jesus Christ in his place...

That's just my opinion though, take what you will from it...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There has been a lot of debate over the GAP theory. Between ch.1 and ch.2. That is because of the childhood stories that children are told. And as adults we stick to them, rather than read for ourselves the truth of scripture.

Not only is it this story, but also the story of Noah and the animals loaded onto the Arch. Were they really loaded on there two by two? Re-read that account and see, that is not the truth either.

We need to give up the things we were taught as children, read and study the Bible for ourselves, and get the truth of Gods word. Don't read into the scripture what is not there. Don't take it out of context. Let it say what it says.

In ch.1 It says that God CREATED man AND woman. Just the way He created the Heavens and the Earth. He spoke them into existence. In ch.2 He FORMED Adam from the dust of the Earth. And He MADE Eve from the rib of Adam. This is what scripture says. There is a huge difference between created and formed, and a big difference between formed and made.

There is further evidence that the gap theory is correct.

When Cain was cast out of his Fathers' land he took a wife. Where did this woman come from? Some people say that she was Cains' sister. But the Bible doesn't say that. The Bible says that Adam and Eve had Cain and Able. It doesn't tell us they had other children. So where did she come from? From the man and woman of ch.1? It is obvious. There is no other place she could have come from.

Those childhood stories were wonderful when we were children, but as adults we need to read our Bibles for ourselves. And give up those childhood stories. And don't teach them to your children. Teach them the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums