Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey were you aware that the CompTIA A+ certification now requires continuing education every 3 years to keep the certification? I got certified back in 2009 and they told me it was good for life so I did not bother to check on it, I just checked on it today and apparently they have changed their minds, my certification has now expired and I must now take the 2 tests again and it is nearly $500! I wish they would have at least contacted me about this, maybe they are trying to get money out of me?

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hey were you aware that the CompTIA A+ certification now requires continuing education every 3 years to keep the certification? I got certified back in 2009 and they told me it was good for life so I did not bother to check on it, I just checked on it today and apparently they have changed their minds, my certification has now expired and I must now take the 2 tests again and it is nearly $500! I wish they would have at least contacted me about this, maybe they are trying to get money out of me?
I don't know if your work requires a current certification but I tell them I took the course but never paid for the test and it gets me by.

Seems mostly like ensuring a continual revenue stream for CompTIA.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I got certified back in 2009 and they told me it was good for life
Bad news. I had planned to get Bio-Medical Equipment technician and I hear the test is grueling because of the anatomy and physiology. Once in the field for three years, I won't remember that stuff. This will limit employment opportunities if you ever change jobs. thx need to look into it.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian

To be fair this makes sense. While a lot of fundamentals are the same, there's a huge difference between what was current in 2009 and what IT is like 15 years later. The idea of what Microsoft Azure does now would have seemed like a pipedream back then. It's the same way treating someone with a Computer Science degree from 2009 would be different to someone getting it in 2024. It's a whole different game.

However, thanks for bringing that to my attention, regardless. I've been thinking about getting Sec+. Now not entirely sure... I guess I can still say I attained it on [x] date even if it's not current.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

To be fair this makes sense. While a lot of fundamentals are the same, there's a huge difference between what was current in 2009 and what IT is like 15 years later. The idea of what Microsoft Azure does now would have seemed like a pipedream back then. It's the same way treating someone with a Computer Science degree from 2009 would be different to someone getting it in 2024. It's a whole different game.

However, thanks for bringing that to my attention, regardless. I've been thinking about getting Sec+. Now not entirely sure... I guess I can still say I attained it on [x] date even if it's not current.
Security is fast moving. Not sure last year’s Sec+ course would be up to date enough. To be fresh on that one would need constant learning. Keeping up with something like Bruce Schneier’s newsletters helps. A ten year old Sec+ certificate might show a low baseline in some fundamentals but a commitment to studying such a newsletter would get my attention.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

IIRC I got mine in 2006. I had to learn stuff about AT form factor hardware which was way out of date by then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

merseyferrier

Sep 21, 2006
Alabama
✟16,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hadn't heard of this. I continually do refresh classes to stay ahead of changes, but my job is only partially technical (I'm a librarian who wears three hats -- tech support, historical research, direct patron response) so I don't have an incentive to keep paying for certs.

Upvote 0

nhaas11

Christian News: http://www.shekach.com
Oct 3, 2015
Fresno Ca
Visit site
✟8,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do a lot of training, a lot of classes, Going to Cisco Live in Vegas. That being said, been in the industry 30 years. I have never had a cert. yep, I install fiber for my work - keep up on the trends and dont worry about certs. Though a lot of jobs want to see the certs. I am installing a 200 gig MUX next week links 47 KM and 30 km). fun fun fun.

Upvote 0