Visit site
✟673,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A loose acrylic ink and wash drawings on yupo (Sacre Coeur) and a watercolor on yupo airplane.
11IMG-0438.JPG
SadDeparture.jpg

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A loose acrylic ink and wash drawings on yupo (Sacre Coeur) and a watercolor on yupo airplane.
View attachment 269776 View attachment 269777

Those are fantastic. I don't know how you got the detail on the airplane on yupo, but it looks great. Thought I was looking at James Gurney's work for a moment (that is a compliment, I like his work, especially his watercolor and gouache stuff on his youtube channel. )

Did you scrape out the pavement lines, and the light posts in the background?

By the way, you should consider doing your yupo experiments on Youtube. You could get a following once people see your work. And others could learn how to use it.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟673,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Those are fantastic. I don't know how you got the detail on the airplane on yupo, but it looks great. Thought I was looking at James Gurney's work for a moment (that is a compliment, I like his work, especially his watercolor and gouache stuff on his youtube channel. )

Did you scrape out the pavement lines, and the light posts in the background?

By the way, you should consider doing your yupo experiments on Youtube. You could get a following once people see your work. And others could learn how to use it.
Thanks! I did scrape out the lines and light poles with the corner of a palette knife. This was sort of a quick sketch so there are probably a lot of errors if you look too closely. :) Another thing i do like about yupo is you can use it like a scratchbord.
I like your youtube idea but just don't have the camera equipment, but maybe someday. But you couldn't probably start that tomorrow since, if memory serves, your software records your brushstrokes. A lot of the youtube painters just add voice over commentary. You could probably get a monetized channel up and running in a matter of weeks. Have you seen Kevin Hill on youtube: He is like a contemporary Bob Ross and posts clips of his for sale full length videos. This is my favorite due to the moody quality of the final painting
Ill have to check out the Gurney videos.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! I did scrape out the lines and light poles with the corner of a palette knife. This was sort of a quick sketch so there are probably a lot of errors if you look too closely. :) Another thing i do like about yupo is you can use it like a scratchbord.
I like your youtube idea but just don't have the camera equipment, but maybe someday. But you couldn't probably start that tomorrow since, if memory serves, your software records your brushstrokes. A lot of the youtube painters just add voice over commentary. You could probably get a monetized channel up and running in a matter of weeks. Have you seen Kevin Hill on youtube: He is like a contemporary Bob Ross and posts clips of his for sale full length videos. This is my favorite due to the moody quality of the final painting
Ill have to check out the Gurney videos.

Will have to check him out.

As to Gurney, he is commercially best known for his Dinotopia series. I think he also traveled around the country painting on site with Kincade back before either were well known.

I considered making a channel with the playback, but there are some technical hurdles there as well. And I think the yupo works fill a more interesting space in the current youtube art scene.

That and I could see how you do them!

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you seen Kevin Hill on youtube: He is like a contemporary Bob Ross and posts clips of his for sale full length videos.

That video was fantastic. Although, I think I will have to contemplate a few takeaways, as the overall is quite a bit beyond me.

It turns out I had seen him before, in video where he compares acrylic and oil painting.

Watched a second painting of his, and it was interesting.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟673,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 270012

Colors! Live - mountain practice by tall73

After watching those videos, and looking at Barbarian's photos I had to try a mountain for practice. Fun attempt.
That's awesome! I sort of copied one of Kevin Hill's paintings for mountain practice. I'm sure the video is still up on youtube. Since then I went out West and took my own mountain reference photos I did a bad job with the sky but fixed it later but never photographed the update. It's acrylics on canvas 11x14.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not mine, my oldest son. He did the the drawing, his friend was the photographer. My kids are way more talented than me.

That is an interesting style. Do you have any idea how he went about it, or what medium?

Welcome to the site!

Reactions: Nancy Hale
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But, when he was young he'd get in trouble at school for doodling and I'd tell him to pay attention to his teacher, it was more important! Lol.
It was nice seeing a thread on art work. Keep it up! My youngest son is a musician and I have my own song too :) I learned from my mistakes.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He had some sort of pad he could draw on attached to his computer. He passed away 10 years ago, so a very outdated item. They had only recently started collaborations. He was colorblind so he mostly sketched in pencil.
View attachment 270121
I am sorry to hear of his passing. Art is interesting in that it can leave behind memories.

A graphics tablet connects to the computer, and they are very accurate.

That drawing is very detailed! Was it patterned off of an actual item?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟874,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But, when he was young he'd get in trouble at school for doodling and I'd tell him to pay attention to his teacher, it was more important! Lol.
It was nice seeing a thread on art work. Keep it up! My youngest son is a musician and I have my own song too :) I learned from my mistakes.

Most people who do well at art find themselves doodling all the time!

What type of music does your son work on?

Upvote 0