✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Whatever your faith group calls it...

The main thing I miss from my days in the Episcopal Church is partaking of Communion every Sunday. In the evangelical churches I've attended over the last 16 years they only have communion once a month, or some only once a quarter...although, the one Pentecostal Holiness church I was a member of for a few years, the pastor became convicted of this and we started having Communion every Sunday.

The scriptures teach us to do this as often as we assemble...so why do so many evangelical churches not follow the Lord's instruction on this?

Shane2336

Slave of Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2016
AZ (Most of the time)
✟56,169.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
This is a great question! I have never been a part of a congregation that practices the Supper weekly. Although, I agree with you, that this is something we should do every time we meet. I think, sadly, that a lot of the reason it turns into a "scheduled thing", has to do with time and convenience.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a great question! I have never been a part of a congregation that practices the Supper weekly. Although, I agree with you, that this is something we should do every time we meet. I think, sadly, that a lot of the reason it turns into a "scheduled thing", has to do with time and convenience.
At the Pentecostal church where we were taking communion every Sunday, was a lot different than the Episcopal Church...At the EC, the entire service was centered around the eucharist. At the PC, there was a table set up in the back, and after the pastor would give the benediction you could go receive communion if you chose to...I've sometimes wondered if it comes down to like a money thing...but 3 Buck Chuck is only 3 Bucks...

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The main thing I miss from my days in the Episcopal Church is partaking of Communion every Sunday. In the evangelical churches I've attended over the last 16 years they only have communion once a month, or some only once a quarter...although, the one Pentecostal Holiness church I was a member of for a few years, the pastor became convicted of this and we started having Communion every Sunday.

The scriptures teach us to do this as often as we assemble...so why do so many evangelical churches not follow the Lord's instruction on this?

No heart for Jesus. Doing things just as a boring ritual, you know... Then it doesn't really matter, even if you do it daily, the essence of it is but lost!

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
At the Pentecostal church where we were taking communion every Sunday, was a lot different than the Episcopal Church...At the EC, the entire service was centered around the eucharist. At the PC, there was a table set up in the back, and after the pastor would give the benediction you could go receive communion if you chose to...I've sometimes wondered if it comes down to like a money thing...but 3 Buck Chuck is only 3 Bucks...

Lord's supper became a formality... "We do it because we have to do it. It's our Christian thing."

Too bad!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I didn't know that
Do you know the reason why they would have stopped?

I am surprised to hear that a Pentecostal Christian would do this

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No heart for Jesus. Doing things just as a boring ritual, you know... Then it doesn't really matter, even if you do it daily, the essence of it is but lost!
There are many at the table. Those who are weak and those who are strong

Maybe what is missing is the understanding of WHY we come to the table?

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Big Drew, to the above churches you have mentioned wether they partake of communion daily, every Sunday, once a month or once a quarter, do these churches truly LITERALLY believe 100% it is the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ? Do they Bow down/ lay prostrate and worship the communion? Do these Church have holy hours, and or 24 hours adorations to come in at any time during the day or night that many can come in and worship the communion host?

• Agree
Reactions: Thursday
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

In fairness to these churches, Our Lord didn't specify how often it was to be done, and certainly not "as often as we assemble." Could we argue that the observant church is the one that celebrates the Lord's Supper every day instead of every week? Sure. The best approach may well lie somewhere in the middle of all these schedules, but there's no clearcut directive about it in scripture. Even the typical Episcopal parish does not celebrate the Eucharist at every service.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I didn't know that
Do you know the reason why they would have stopped?

I am surprised to hear that a Pentecostal Christian would do this
It probably has to do with my Anglican roots...but I view Communion as real presence as opposed to my Pentecostal brethren that see it as simply a symbolic ritual. I wouldn't say I go as far as the Catholics do with my belief, I hold to the more Wesleyan view that it's a great mystery. The Pentecostal pastor that I mentioned in the OP had a similar belief to me...which, yes, is out of the norm for evangelicals.

I know many evangelicals see things like this as religion and ritual, and they believe that this takes away from relationship with Christ...they say that there is no place in the church for tradition...yet they set a tradition with only having communion on the first Sunday of the month, or whenever they choose to partake...I don't know, it just seems contradictory to me.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In fairness to these churches, Our Lord didn't specify how often it was to be done, and certainly not "as often as we assemble." Could we argue that the observant church is the one that celebrates the Lord's Supper every day instead of every week? Sure. The best approach may well lie somewhere in the middle of all these schedules, but there's no clearcut directive about it in scripture. Even the typical Episcopal parish does not celebrate the Eucharist at every service.
Reading through the Book of Acts we learn that the Believers assembled on the Lord's Day (first day of the week) and I believe it shows that they were taking communion each time they met. Acts 20:7 is one verse that leads me to believe this is the case.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Big Drew, to the above churches you have mentioned wether they partake of communion daily, every Sunday, once a month or once a quarter, do these churches truly LITERALLY believe 100% it is the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ? Do they Bow down/ lay prostrate and worship the communion? Do these Church have holy hours, and or 24 hours adorations to come in at any time during the day or night that many can come in and worship the communion host?

They do not.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I know that descendants of the Stone-Campbell movement, like the Disciples of Christ and Christian churches have communion every week. Many Lutheran churches have weekly service of the Sacrament, some even go so far as to commune at every service, even mid-week and special services.

My LCMS church has communion every week, but only in the Sunday evening service. The two morning services have communion on the 2nd and 4th Sundays.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reading through the Book of Acts we learn that the Believers assembled on the Lord's Day (first day of the week) and I believe it shows that they were taking communion each time they met. Acts 20:7 is one verse that leads me to believe this is the case.
Yes, that's reasonable so long as we see it as obligatory. I know that some people say that if this is the early church's way, we ought to imitate it. They're usually the same people who say that we must meet in private homes rather than "steeple buildings" or that all the congregants must own their possessions in common (and no one does that, do they, not even the Amish?).

I myself favor frequent communion. I certainly don't go for the 'once each quarter' thing that's so standard in many denominations. Still, I don't see this as a requirement--each week without exception.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, that's reasonable so long as we see it as obligatory. I know that some people say that if this is the early church's way, we ought to imitate it. They're usually the same people who say that we must meet in private homes rather than "steeple buildings" or that all the congregants must own their possessions in common (and no one does that, do they, not even the Amish?).

I myself favor frequent communion. I certainly don't go for the 'once each quarter' thing that's so standard in many denominations. Still, I don't see this as a requirement--each week without exception.
I don't see it so much as obligation...to me it's a very reverent time of reflection...giving thanks to Christ for His sacrifice, I don't necessarily have to do it, but I want to.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't see it so much as obligation...to me it's a very reverent time of reflection...giving thanks to Christ for His sacrifice, I don't necessarily have to do it, but I want to.

So that we're clear...are you saying that weekly communion is NOT mandated for us by Acts, but it's a good idea to celebrate the Lord's Supper on a weekly basis anyway?

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So that we're clear...are you saying that weekly communion is NOT mandated for us by Acts, but it's a good idea to celebrate the Lord's Supper on a weekly basis anyway?
I'm saying that the Lord asked His disciples to do it, Acts shows that they did it as often as they were together, so why wouldn't we want to follow that example that was set for us? I don't view it as a mandate or a command...more as a request.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm saying that the Lord asked His disciples to do it, Acts shows that they did it as often as they were together, so why wouldn't we want to follow that example that was set for us? I don't view it as a mandate or a command...more as a request.

But Christ did NOT request that his disciples do it on any particular schedule. And, as for him setting some "example," he only celebrated the Passover meal one yearly.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It probably has to do with my Anglican roots...but I view Communion as real presence as opposed to my Pentecostal brethren that see it as simply a symbolic ritual. I wouldn't say I go as far as the Catholics do with my belief, I hold to the more Wesleyan view that it's a great mystery. The Pentecostal pastor that I mentioned in the OP had a similar belief to me...which, yes, is out of the norm for evangelicals.

I know many evangelicals see things like this as religion and ritual, and they believe that this takes away from relationship with Christ...they say that there is no place in the church for tradition...yet they set a tradition with only having communion on the first Sunday of the month, or whenever they choose to partake...I don't know, it just seems contradictory to me.
I think we all need to review Paul's words with regards to the LORD's table. I think we do forget with the routine that GOD has called us to HIS table. HE has made it so that we can come

It's the LORD's Passover and we were told to celebrate the Passover as a lasting ordinance

Shouldn't we come to the table?
Shouldnt we celebrate with thanksgiving the Lord's Passover meal?

Not because we are worthy
But because HE is

We do celebrate this in memory of what HE has done for us

His sacrifice by HIS BODY opened a way for us to come into HIS PRESENCE

Upvote 0