New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see. Is it the same in every state? Just curious.

No only a few states recognize common law marriage.

I haven't posted here much, but I have a question for everyone here about common law marriage. If a couple have been living together and are considered to be in a common law marriage by the government and consider each other to be their lifetime partner, are they sinning?

I'm just wondering because after reading through the Bible twice, I have yet to see a verse that flat out says that this is considered a sin. From my understanding, when a man leaves his parents and becomes one with a woman (which I take to mean having sex with her) they become one and are considered married by God. So if they do this and the State considers them to be married as well, are they still sinning?

As other people have pointed out, this is incorrect.

Now what I will say is that I think that while its good you are in a common law marriage at this point, I think it would be better to testify to your faith by having a wedding, even just a small one.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My State is one of 11 that recgonizes "Common Law" Marriage in the US.

It's original intent was to give legal rights to Rural couples who would have married under conventional means had they been readily available.

In days past, as the US was being settled, people found themselves in situations (like having been widowed, or having children come of age) in areas where ministers or Judges were not availabe to perform traditional marriage services. Towns were not close by and travel of any distance was difficult or may not have been possible due to the homestead failing, weather, etc. or it could have been unsafe to travel through hostile areas.

The US was also a Land of immigrants and unions were taking place where individuals were not church "members". Some might call this unequal yoking and some churches would not perform marriages between certain individuals who wished to marry (example inter racial). There were other reasons as well.

So in order to afford people legal rights (inheritances, tax deductions, rights concerning medical decisions and children, etc.)a civil union under common law-was ratified. Certain criteria had to be met. The couple must have presented themselves in public as "married", they must have lived together for a minumin period of time,, etc. The system may be antiquated, but it is legal. Couples may still face certain challenges regarding "church" marriages today. I would be of the opinion that a common law marriage is no more a sin than any marriage by a Judge or Justice of the Peace is today.

Marriage has always taken place in the heart with only a ceromony to validate it, until taxation made documentation necessary. There is no sin in a legal marriage between a man and woman who are seeking to fulfill the covenant to each other as biblically intended. (The 2 are intending to become one and live as a family excluding others until their death) JMHO

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I get the impression you may not live in the US, but if you do, here is the current law structure for common law marriages. If you are not in the US then you need to check with your local area. Assumption that you are common law married is a bad idea not just Biblically. If you are not legally common law married, yet are presenting yourself as such for any benefits then it could be considered fraud.

If you are legally common law married in one state, then you are married in all states as they all recognize legal marriages between one man and one woman.

See if your situation/state fits this criteria:

Common Law Marriage (a little bit more detailed information on this page--I cut and pasted the vital data only)

Common-Law Marriage

To be defined as a common-law marriage within the states that allow it, the two people must: agree that they are married, live together, and present themselves as husband and wife. Common-law marriage is generally a non-ceremonial relationship that requires "a positive mutual agreement, permanent and exclusive of all others, to enter into a marriage relationship, cohabitation sufficient to warrant a fulfillment of necessary relationship of man and wife, and an assumption of marital duties and obligations." Black's Law Dictionary 277 (6th ed. 1990).

Before modern domestic relations statutes, couples became married by a variety of means that developed from custom. These became the elements of a "common-law marriage," or a marriage that arose through the couple's conduct, instead of through a ceremony. In many ways, the theory of common-law marriage is one of estoppel - meaning that couples who have told the world they are married should not be allowed to claim they aren't when in a dispute between themselves.

Currently, only nine states (Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Oklahoma and Texas) and the District of Columbia recognize common-law marriages. In addition, five states have "grandfathered" common-law marriage (Georgia, Idaho, Ohio, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania) allowing those established before a certain date to be recognized. New Hampshire recognizes common-law marriage for purposes of probate only, and Utah recognizes common-law marriages only if they have been validated by a court or administrative order.

• Alabama
  • Colorado
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Iowa (Iowa Code Ann. §. 595.11)
  • Kansas
  • Montana (Mont. Code Ann. § 26-1-602, 40-1-403)
  • New Hampshire
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 43, § 1)
  • Pennsylvania (23 Penn. Cons. Stat. § 1103)
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Texas (Tex. Fam. Code Ann. § 2.401)
  • Utah (Utah Code Ann.§ 30-1-4.5)
Georgia: Only for common-law marriages formed before January 1, 1997 (1996 Georgia Act 1021).
Idaho: Only for common-law marriages formed before January 1, 1996 (Idaho Code § 32-201).
Kansas: law prohibits recognition of common law marriage if either party is under 18 years of age. (2002 Kan. Sess. Laws, SB 486, §23-101).
New Hampshire: Common law marriages effective only at death. (N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann § 457:39).
Ohio: Only for common-law marriages formed before October 10, 1991 (Lyons v. Lyons 621 N.E. 2d 718 (Ohio App. 1993)).
Oklahoma: Only for common-law marriage formed before November 1, 1998. (1998 Okla. SB 1076).
Pennsylvania: law was amended to read "No common-law marriage contracted after January 1, 2005 shall be valid." (Pennsylvania Statues, Section 1103)
Texas: calls it an "informal marriage," rather than a common-law marriage. Under § 2.401 of the Texas Family Code, an informal marriage can be established either by declaration (registering at the county courthouse without having a ceremony), or by meeting a three-prong test showing evidence of (1) an agreement to be married; (2) cohabitation in Texas; and (3) representation to others that the parties are married. A 1995 update adds an evidentiary presumption that there was no marriage if no suit for proof of marriage is filed within two years of the date the parties separated and ceased living together.
Utah: Administrative order establishes that it arises out of a contract between two consenting parties who: (a) are capable of giving consent; (b) are legally capable of entering a solemnized marriage; (c) have cohabited; (d) mutually assume marital rights, duties, and obligations; and (e) who hold themselves out as and have acquired a uniform and general reputation as husband and wife. The determination or establishment of such a marriage must occur during the relationship or within one year following the termination of that relationship.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be interested in a scriptural answer to this, for the simple reason that my eldest son is talking about living with his g/f in the next couple of years. I would prefer him to marry her and have made my feelings knows - while being aware that I can't force the issue. It would help give some weight if there were scriptures.

I think that there is certainly a difference between a "common law" marriage (whether it's "blessed" by the state or not), and just shacking up to try someone on for size.

If two people stand up before God and man and declare themselves married to each other, who can say that, in God's eyes, they are not? But that's quite different than two folks "living together" as a trial run.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't posted here much, but I have a question for everyone here about common law marriage. If a couple have been living together and are considered to be in a common law marriage by the government and consider each other to be their lifetime partner, are they sinning?
Yes.

I'm just wondering because after reading through the Bible twice, I have yet to see a verse that flat out says that this is considered a sin.
From the Bible: 1 Corinthians 6:18 - Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
From the dictionary: for·ni·ca·tion, noun, 1. voluntary sexual intercourse between two unmarried persons or two persons not married to each other.

We are subject to God's law before and above human law. Marriage was instituted by God, not by man, therefore a Christian's definition of marriage is what God says it is, not what man (gov't) says it is.

Upvote 0

Isaaknlisa@gmail

Jul 29, 2017
Blenheim
✟15,301.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nothing wrong with commonlaw marriage no where in the bible does it say that you must have a wedding ceremony ....and it's not what bindes a man and woman ......a wedding ceremony is a tradition that's all ......as long as the couple recognize them selves as being married .....when Paul speaks about sex outside of marriage he means outside your commonlaw marriage and for those people who believe in a wedding ceremony....we are not saved by works meaning tradition only thru jesus he is the only way

Upvote 0

Observer

Observer
Sep 29, 2004
Australia
✟10,101.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think a ceremony, or having something legally binding under common law marriage/defacto or taking your spouse's surname are evidence that your relationship is a God ordained marriage.

I was married - Christian ceremony, by a pastor. Fast forward some time.. he was hitting me, he was a sociopath who only spoke in silly riddles, we had no normal communication, he didn't work for 5 years.. I left him after 12 years and 7 years married.

I'm now in another relationship, I AM "trying him on for size" as someone else put it. I would never make that mistake again as it could of cost me my life. I would not marry someone or bind myself to them legally in any way until I knew them inside and out. Yes that may go against the bible, yes I may be a fornicating (and adulterous) sinner. But I feel I have more of a marriage with the man I am with than I ever did with my ex husband. But I'm still cautious. Trauma does that to you.

So, yes in an ideal world, you'd wait until your first marriage to have sex, you'd have a ceremony where you are recognised as husband/wife by your family and people around you, you'd stay with that person forever... that's what many Christians would push as the only real marriage.

But life doesn't always work out that way.

One of my hesitations in marrying my partner is actually that I have already been married and my ex didn't cheat on me so I had no right to divorce him according to a couple of bible verses. Marrying him wouldn't erase my sins or force God to accept our relationship. I can't understand any of it so I choose to not go there..

Upvote 0