Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, for some of my life I've been in business to business sales. And what happens in a negotiated business transaction is this: the seller tries to sell for the highest possible price, and the buyer tries to buy for the lowest possible price. And both try to deceive each other; the seller about the cost to supply or manufacture, and the buyer about the value of the product or service to them. And so they haggle, telling each other outright lies and dubious half-truths, each doing their very utmost to deceive the other.

And this is the way the free market works, business to business, professional to professional.

I dread to think on the extent to which non-professional consumers are misled by professional suppliers.

Does anyone else spot the moral concern, here?

Maybe, if the seller were honest about the cost, and the buyer honest about the value, a deal could be struck midway between the two, without the necessity for lies and deceit.

Just thinking aloud. I make no apologies for my naivity.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionL

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course the seller wants to maximize profits and the buyer wants to pay as low as possible. If there is no reason not to lie, then there exists a strong incentive to lie in order to get the best deal for themselves. This is basic economics. You cannot solve the issue except through legal regulation.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe, if the seller were honest about the cost, and the buyer honest about the value, a deal could be struck midway between the two, without the necessity for lies and deceit.

I find what you say they do a lot like everything being on sale in some retail business...furniture for instance. Once one does it they all have to do it and eventually it gains no one anything, just extra trouble. Only reason I can figure they still do it that way is just in case either a naive buyer enters the picture at some point, which won't likely happen in the case of the OP. So it seems to me, it'd be all useless, and they might as well do what you suggest, If they claim the be Christian, they need to do that anyway

I may be naive myself but it seems to me an honest exchange could easily take place and neither side would stand to lose much if anything, and the bonus, they sleep well at night. Of course after enough of that junk, I doubt it keeps them awake.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, for some of my life I've been in business to business sales. And what happens in a negotiated business transaction is this: the seller tries to sell for the highest possible price, and the buyer tries to buy for the lowest possible price. And both try to deceive each other; the seller about the cost to supply or manufacture, and the buyer about the value of the product or service to them. And so they haggle, telling each other outright lies and dubious half-truths, each doing their very utmost to deceive the other.

And this is the way the free market works, business to business, professional to professional.

I dread to think on the extent to which non-professional consumers are misled by professional suppliers.

Best wishes, Strivax.

I also think of advertising, which constitutes a whopping one-sixth of GDP, and is based essentially on lies. This is both a concern for markets as well as capitalism, which as articulated by Smith and other classicists involved rational consumers making rational choices about what they're buying, which is undermined by advertising given appeals to emotion and our general tendency to be influenced in non-rational ways.

As for your point, I think it's a necessary deal in a free market that immoral behavior as you've painted it rises to the top, given that the highest value in a market system is making a profit, meaning that anyone who values making a profit the most would appeal to deceit the most. Fortunately, it's not a homogeneous level of deceit; car salesmen are notorious for doing whatever it takes to make a sale, compared to your average smalltown businessman who might give you an honest deal. So different businesses seem to attract different levels of deceit, not necessarily intrinsically because of each business, but because of the values of the people who work in these businesses.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Best wishes, Strivax.

I have been in the healthcare business world for over 20 years, dealing with various healthcare related vendors. You paint quite a bleak picture of things.

First of all, the end price of a product, is typically driven by the value it brings in the eyes of the buyer and what else is available and at what price that can deliver the same thing.

Of course the manufacture wants to maximize profits and the buyer wants to get the product at the lowest price possible. The free market and those who do their homework, tend to work these things out and come to a price that is suitable to both sides.

Upvote 0

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

That's greed and selfishness; both byproducts of capitalism.
Oh yes.
That would require both sides to be less selfish and greedy - I'm all for it. Now we just have to convince the rest of the Western World.

Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Without passing unnecessary individual judgments, (people have biases to behave as the pressures apply and the situation demands), I just find it interesting that the free market system, held up by so many neo-conservatives as the most moral way to run the world and its trade, has at its heart and root this fundamental inclination to lieing immorality.

Maybe we can do better.

Cheers, Strivax.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Without passing unnecessary individual judgments, (people have biases to behave as the pressures apply and the situation demands), I just find it interesting that the free market system, held up by so many neo-conservatives as the most moral way to run the world and its trade, has at its heart and root this fundamental inclination to lieing immorality.

Maybe we can do better.

Cheers, Strivax.

In today's world of business, any astute business person is going to be able to determine when they are being lied to. If you use lies to try to sell something to someone, good luck with your reputation going forward as word spreads quickly.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
I think people, in general, enjoy being manipulated. Being manipulated and manipulating others may even be seen as somewhat of an art form ... respectable and admirable even, depending on the context. This applies in entertainment, relationships, basic day to day activities, etc. Business, trade, goods and services are just one such area. Lying and deceit may get a special pass, depending on the adeptness of those involved, and the desired outcome of the parties involved. It may even be encouraged.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Best wishes, Strivax.

My company is into B2B. I don't allow such shenannigans in the sales team.
Honesty, openness and transparacy is how we work.

Sometimes, the sales team will be allowed to give reductions of 5 to 10%, if it concerns a big customer or a customer "with name" wich would lead to more business afterwards.

But lies, falsehoods or misinformation are unacceptable. They'll only come back to bite you in the rear, sooner or later.

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
In today's world of business, any astute business person is going to be able to determine when they are being lied to. If you use lies to try to sell something to someone, good luck with your reputation going forward as word spreads quickly.

Especially if you are active in niche markets.

As for "mass" markets, I think this issue turns into pure propaganda.
Take Apple, for a great example.

I can't even count the amount of people who still believe that Apple products are "unhackable" or "immune to computer viruses" or even just fairly priced. Google is pretty much the same.
It's deliberate obfuscation and propaganda and they use "unofficial" channels to unleash such nonsense upon the world.

And the non-tech people, all fall for it.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Best wishes, Strivax.

People need to read less neoclassical economics and more economic anthropology. A really good book is Economies and Cultures: Foundations of Economic Anthropology, by Richard Wilk. The 2007 edition appears to be the latest. I read an earlier edition. If the former is like the latter, a reader will see that there is anthropological evidence that the behavior you describe is nothing more than a learned cultural act (like eating with a fork and knife; playing baseball; taking a test at school; etc.). Among that evidence is the fact that anthropologists have observed cultures where every economic transaction is an even exchange--they may even go as far as saying that people in those cultures have no concept of profit.

Some of us have not been enculturated/socialized into the behavior patterns that you describe. I pay very little attention to price. The behavior you describe makes it sound like consumers consciously, deliberately try to get as much as they can for as low a price as they can. I do not doubt that some--if not a lot of--people have been socialized to behave that way and that they are very good cultural actors when they do it. But it is possible to be motivated by economic profit rather than pure accounting profit. In an accounting profit sense, if you shop around and compare offers you might profit by finding the exact same car and warranty at the lowest price available. But in an economic profit sense the value of the time and energy spent doing all of that shopping, comparing, and negotiating could exceed the value of the money saved by paying the lowest price available. I am only concerned about finding products/services that I like at a price that I can afford. Nine times out of ten I can afford every different price. I don't then spend time and energy trying to shop around, negotiate, etc. until I get the lowest possible price. I only do the latter when I can't afford every price, like when I was shopping for a new apartment several months ago.

Price is not a reliable measure of value anyway. Externalities such as damage to ecosystems, pollution, cultures being destroyed, etc. are almost never included in the price of a good/service.

It is all a cultural act. Deception may be a small part of it sometimes. But it is mostly people making transactions by playing roles that they have learned within a game that they have learned to play. It happens in all kinds of social interactions, not just the ones that economists measure. Men and women who are looking for marriage partners do not put a numerical price on what they are offering and then shop for, compare, negotiate, etc. that number. Most people do not think that dating rituals are people deliberately trying to deceive each other, so why would we think that rituals like selling and shopping for a pair of shoes are inherently deceptive?

It would not surprise me to find that psychologists and sociologists studying behavior in markets in industrialized societies have found that price is only one small variable--and one of the least influential--in the behavior that we classify as economic behavior. Things like tradition, peer pressure, brand loyalty, professional reputation, public relations, etc. probably influence the behavior of producers and consumers more than prices do.

Reactions: Received
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Maybe we can do better.

Cheers, Strivax.

You find it interesting that what people say they believe, and what they actually do are at odds?

Quite frankly, if you missed this idea in your observation of humanity up to this point you aren't paying very close attention.

Upvote 0