Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't graduated secondary school yet, so I don't know what my grade average would be yet.

As for going to college, frankly I am not completely sure whether I want to or will go to college/university next academic year or not yet, however other than the fact that there are some career paths I am considering that requires at least an associate's to bachelor's degree, I would also like to learn more about a certain subject. This may be quite silly, but I am also curious about what college (including the academic difficulty) is like and if I don't go I don't think I would know what college is like.

While there are also career paths that I have seriously considered, that while may not pay a large income, I think I may enjoy, do not require college I personally do not think college if I were to complete a degree would necessarily be a waste even if the career I end up doing does not require a college degree, since I could transfer knowledge to it especially if my chosen college major somewhat relates to the career. Were I to complete a college degree, although I am aware not all university graduates may necessarily be able to get jobs that require a college it may possibly also mean I have more options in terms of career choices. However, one of the career paths I am thinking about definitely requires a college degree.

I am aware that many colleges would academically disqualify you if your college GPA does not meet their requirement.

Another thing is, I feel like time is going somewhat fast, and I feel like I want some time before working in the same field for most of my life, though I know people often change jobs. I don't think this is really the issue I am facing since I do have some focused career interests, but I guess one way to decide what job to do is to try to do many different jobs, but I don't see how an employer would want to hire someone who only wanted to work for them for a month to see if it was right for them or for the experience, and I personally don't want to take years to decide what career field I am interested in.

I do feel like have some focused career interests, and one which I think I may be very intetested in pursuing definitely requires at least a Bachelor's degree, though I guess I can work in lower-entry areas in the same field without college.

I do know that nearly nothing is guaranteed, including a college degree or career path.

Another factor is my parents' expectations (which I don't exactly know what they are) and whether or not they want me to go to college. If I were to go, one of my parents would try to fund my college education as long as it is a college/university they would be happy to fund for.

So basically, one of the main reasons I want to go to college is because one of the career paths I may be interested in pursuing requires a university degree.

College is extremely expensive and I suggest that unless you are entirely sure of why you want to go to college and that the reason is a good one that you do not spend that kind of money. One does not have to attend college at all and if one does it does not have to occur in a direct chronological order after High School and doing either may be a big mistake depending upon what one actually ought to be doing. If I were to backtrack and do over my life, I would have waited for a while, entered the work force and found out what life was about before going to college. At that time, I had a scholarship and the cost of education was exceedingly less expensive so I was not in debt when I left but my regrets about rushing into a higher education before I was sure of what I wanted to do would be multiplied exponentially if I had been saddled with the kind of debt that many people today are saddled with. I know many younger people that now are saddled with huge debts and very small incomes due to going to college with no real plan in mind and entering into fields that had no promise of a large income to begin with. There is no reason to rush into something that you will possibly be paying for the rest of your life if you are not absolutely positively sure about why you are doing so.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
College is extremely expensive and I suggest that unless you are entirely sure of why you want to go to college and that the reason is a good one that you do not spend that kind of money. One does not have to attend college at all and if one does it does not have to occur in a direct chronological order after High School and doing either may be a big mistake depending upon what one actually ought to be doing. If I were to backtrack and do over my life, I would have waited for a while, entered the work force and found out what life was about before going to college. At that time, I had a scholarship and the cost of education was exceedingly less expensive so I was not in debt when I left but my regrets about rushing into a higher education before I was sure of what I wanted to do would be multiplied exponentially if I had been saddled with the kind of debt that many people today are saddled with. I know many younger people that now are saddled with huge debts and very small incomes due to going to college with no real plan in mind and entering into fields that had no promise of a large income to begin with. There is no reason to rush into something that you will possibly be paying for the rest of your life if you are not absolutely positively sure about why you are doing so.

Thank you for the advice. I will take it into consideration. What do you believe would be good reasons to attend college, and what do you believe would be bad reasons to attend college?

The thing is, while I have considered career paths that do not require college, there is a certain career path I am considering that requires college.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everyone for the advice.

Especially as I saw another thread about "Is college necessary to make a reasonable living?", I just wanted to add that I felt it was important to pray to God about this (post-secondary school options) in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ (Psalm 37:5: Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.; 1 Peter 5:7: Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you.; Proverbs 3:5-7: 5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.6In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths. 7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.), and to pray in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ that wherever the Lord leads me it will be for His glory and for the good of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your suggestion that "unless you are entirely sure of why you want to go to college and that the reason is a good one that you do not spend that kind of money".

What do you mean by "depending upon what one actually ought to be doing"?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the advice. I will take it into consideration. What do you believe would be good reasons to attend college, and what do you believe would be bad reasons to attend college?

The thing is, while I have considered career paths that do not require college, there is a certain career path I am considering that requires college.
Refresh our memories, please. What IS that certain career (path) that you are considering?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough. I guess I will just say that if money is an issue, community college is the best way to advance towards any profession for which a college degree is the norm. What's more, an Associate Degree from a community college--or just two years of education in a college without a degree--can often put a person miles ahead of people who have nothing beyond high school. But that is a general rule and does not apply to every profession. It might work for an insurance agent or realtor but, obviously, not for a dentist.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thank you for your suggestion that "unless you are entirely sure of why you want to go to college and that the reason is a good one that you do not spend that kind of money".

What do you mean by "depending upon what one actually ought to be doing"?

Sorry I took so long to reply. What one actually ought to be doing would be what one is not only best suited to do but also what one is enthusiastic about doing. For instance, if one is gifted in the field of carpentry and one enjoys doing that then one ought to pursue carpentry as a career choicet and not be going to medical school or law school. Figuring out what one's gifts are and what one enjoys doing is the best way to decide whether going to college is worthwhile or not. If you decide that the field you were considering that requires college is one in which you would not only enjoy doing but be quite competent in then you must go to college at some point to pursue it. That point does not have to be immediate but it should be within a reasonable amount of time. As others have suggested, community college could be a good way to begin pursuit of that. My best friend from grammar school, though intelligent enough, was not a good student in either grammar school or high school but took the route of community college for two years before attending a University to get his degree in Mechanical Engineering. He probably would have been rejected by the University he graduated from if he had applied to that University right from High School and it may have changed the course of his career had he allowed that rejection to sour him on his dream.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I took so long to reply. What one actually ought to be doing would be what one is not only best suited to do but also what one is enthusiastic about doing. For instance, if one is gifted in the field of carpentry and one enjoys doing that then one ought to pursue carpentry as a career choicet and not be going to medical school or law school. Figuring out what one's gifts are and what one enjoys doing is the best way to decide whether going to college is worthwhile or not. If you decide that the field you were considering that requires college is one in which you would not only enjoy doing but be quite competent in then you must go to college at some point to pursue it. That point does not have to be immediate but it should be within a reasonable amount of time. As others have suggested, community college could be a good way to begin pursuit of that. My best friend from grammar school, though intelligent enough, was not a good student in either grammar school or high school but took the route of community college for two years before attending a University to get his degree in Mechanical Engineering. He probably would have been rejected by the University he graduated from if he had applied to that University right from High School and it may have changed the course of his career had he allowed that rejection to sour him on his dream.
Thank you for the advice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to be brutally honest... If you graduated high school with a C or D average college just isn't for you.

You might as well say, "Hey, I'm fat and out of shape and I can barely walk-trot-run-trot-pant-jog-walk a mile in 15 minutes. Are there any college level Division I basketball teams that will let me join???

Yes, you can find exceptions to the rule, you can dig deep and find some lazy smart kid who coasted through high school with a C-average then got serious in college and graduated top of his class... Or you can find an anecdote of some high school drop-out who went on to form his own company and make millions...

Yes, there are always exceptions.

but for the vast majority of us mere mortals, sorry, we are not the exception to the rule, the brutal honest statistics apply to us. And the truth is, if you graduate high school with a C or D average the odds are 20 to 1 that you would be destroyed in college.

High School spoon feeds you-- College does not. College does not care whether you do your homework or not, they will fail you without blinking and without the Dead Poet's Society speech about reaching deep within yourself to find your spirit animal and give it the good ol college try...

Not only is college harder, but the bell curve shifts 1/2 to 1 standard deviation to the right. What I mean is that in high school, you've got a decent percentage of kids that really don't care, who are really just going through the motions because society says they must go to school.

When high school ends, those kids go to Vocational Schools, join the military, work a trade job, get into construction, etc etc. So the majority of the kids that got the bad grades or so-so ho-hum grades leave the population pool. Thus, college is filled with the Scholastically Smart kids and/or kids that are highly motivated and want to go to school. Not to say there aren't slackers in college, sure there are, but no where near the number that exists in highschool, it is easily a factor of ten less.

What this means is that if you are a C or D high school student and you go to a typical college, you are actually at the far left of the bell curve and have a serious uphill battle to climb.

So what can a C or D high school student do?

Go to Community college and/or a prep school. Essentially, you need to retake all your high school senior level courses and get A's and B's in them. Now, in Community College they will give those courses different names, but they will just be dressed up versions of High School senior level courses. Get A's and B's in those courses and now you've caught up to the next cycle of high school graduates. Then you can start at a normal college more on a level playing field.

Thank you for the advice and I appreciate it. I have looked on universities' websites and seems that the minimum university GPA many universities require from students for them not to be put on academic probation is 2.0, although some major pathways may require higher than a 2.0 GPA in order to stay in the pathway and it seems that if one wanted to apply to a post-Bachelor’s certificate or degree a higher GPA would be required (by the way, I consider college/university students to be adults if they are aged 18 or over.)

I think to an extent it is good to be realistic in terms of having the skills to move on to a harder activity. I also do not think that every student needs to go to university, and I do not think meeting expectations of the world or success as measured by the world is the most important but rather the salvation of our souls by the Lord Jesus Christ. Having said that, I believe that with God all things are possible (Matthew 19:26).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
To echo what others have suggested, community college is a very viable option. The purpose of a community college is to make it accessible to the community as a whole, so they welcome the majority who are interested in attending with few barriers; the tuition is substantially more affordable; and there's a significantly higher portion of mature students and people who are holding full-time jobs. Many have partnerships with four-year universities in their state to make it simpler for students to transfer. In California it's called the TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee); you must earn a strong GPA and fulfill the requirements to be eligible, but you essentially are starting with a fresh opportunity to build upon instead of your high school performance dragging you down.

If you're not interested in a community college, then look at colleges with high acceptance rates. Many Christian colleges admit more than 75% of those who apply. Houghton in NY, Wheaton in Illinois, Stamford in Alabama, Biola in California are all only mildly competitive for admission. Since they are private, they are more expensive.

Many Americans who are wanting to attend a residential college immediately but haven't been admitted to more competitive schools in the US have gone to Canada. Even as international students, the total cost of attendance is oftentimes lower than at many private colleges in the US or out-of-state tuition and fees. Universities that have high global rankings such as University of Toronto and UBC are still very competitive for admission, especially for specific majors. But there are some decent Canadian schools that will happily welcome in students who haven't performed as well in high school, especially in the province of New Brunswick. One of my friends who was rejected by 11 elite colleges in the US not only was admitted to the University of New Brunswick and Mount Allison but offered full scholarships at both.
A high school college admissions adviser actually described them as "do-over" schools for students with C averages who had the ambition to do better in college.

This is what I was thinking. A lot of Christian unis have super high acceptance rates & are really lenient with admissions.

There's also colleges that are extremely easy to get into in Canada but still decent. The unis in New Brunswick are MUCH easier to get into than ones in Ontario. Several have admit rates that are over 85%. They're a lot more generous with financial aid too bc they've had major student enrollment crises so they are in need of students. They'll do what they can to get students to go there & to then stay there to graduate. The application process is a breeze in comparison to getting into US schools. They're still decent unis. I have friends who started there, did well, then transferred to my school which has a stronger global recognition.

• Agree
Reactions: Neal82
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is what I was thinking. A lot of Christian unis have super high acceptance rates & are really lenient with admissions.

A high acceptance rate has three possible outcomes:
  1. You get there and find that it's harder than high school, so you fail and waste the money.
  2. You get there and find the course is super-easy, so that you graduate, but the degree has limited value.
  3. You get there and find that in that environment everything makes a lot more sense, so that you wind up learning difficult things that you never thought possible.
I have seen all three of those happen.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
A high acceptance rate has three possible outcomes:
  1. You get there and find that it's harder than high school, so you fail and waste the money.
  2. You get there and find the course is super-easy, so that you graduate, but the degree has limited value.
  3. You get there and find that in that environment everything makes a lot more sense, so that you wind up learning difficult things that you never thought possible.
I have seen all three of those happen.

I don't doubt that's true though I think there are a few exceptions.

I think it's super important to note that there are major differences between American & Canadian universities. I'm an American but my family moved to Canada yrs ago. I went to an online HS based in Cali, though. I applied to colleges in both the US & Canada so I can contrast the admission processes.

There's some universities in Canada that are actually high ranked on Canadian-specific ranking sites that have extremely high admit rates. Especially ones that really just focus on undergrad studies. Like the top-ranked school primarily for undergrad studies has a 90%+ admit rate. It's ridiculously easy to get into it. They have rolling admission, so you can apply any time of the year. All you have to do is submit your transcript. It's popular with homeschoolers bc they don't even have to do that. Their mom can just fill out a form for them. The school doesn't require you to take any tests, submit any letters of recommendation, teacher evaluations, or samples of your work. It also has the lowest graduation rate in the country. This is mainly bc it's in a miserably cold, completely boring & isolated place. It's like if hell had its opposite, it would be that town. The Canadian government really pumped a ton of money into that university. This had made the school desperate for students. They've had an enrollment crisis for yrs now. So bc of that, they are super generous with scholarships. They'll not only give you free tuition & housing but a laptop, a living stipend. They actively recruited me. They have recruiters go around to schools & to college fairs. One of my friends went there bc she was drawn in by all the offers. She regretted going there so she applied to the university I go to, the same degree, and she got in. She's doing really well. The university itself is definitely competitive for admission but it's really dependent on your specific degree. Our degree has a 5% admit rate.

Another big difference between Canadian & American universities is that in Canada it's unusual to be required to take classes outside of your major. You can concentrate on your forte. If you're a music major at a Canadian university, you probably won't ever have to take a class in another subject. If you're a music major at an American university, you probably have to take general education requirements. So you'd have to take math, science, history, in addition to your major. So if you go to a college in the US that is super easy to get into but have to take classes that are hard for you, that would be a bigger challenge than going to a college in Canada with a high acceptance rate that lets you just stay in your comfort zone.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't doubt that's true though I think there are a few exceptions.

I think my 3 options covered all the bases. The cases that you raise fall within the third point.

I think it's super important to note that there are major differences between American & Canadian universities.

Indeed, and I'm in Australia, which is different again. But I know a bit about the US and Canadian systems (and the Canadian system is much closer to ours).

But my main point to the OP is that if you have poor high school grades and want to get a worthwhile degree, you need to do better in college than you did in high school.

If you're a music major at a Canadian university, you probably won't ever have to take a class in another subject.

That's one of the ways in which some people do better in college than they did in high school -- they start studying things that they're really good at.

Other
ways in which people do better in college than HS include:
  • I straightened myself out and started working for a change.
  • I finally got some good teachers.
  • I had a medical condition in HS, but that's been resolved.
But, in general, if anyone who did poorly in HS wants to go to college, I'd encourage them to get advice from somebody appropriate on whether they are likely to succeed, and what kind of support structure might be necessary for success.

To pick your example, somebody's music teacher might advise them to do a music degree, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I think my 3 options covered all the bases. The cases that you raise fall within the third point.

Indeed, and I'm in Australia, which is different again. But I know a bit about the US and Canadian systems (and the Canadian system is much closer to ours).

But my main point to the OP is that if you have poor high school grades and want to get a worthwhile degree, you need to do better in college than you did in high school.

That's one of the ways in which some people do better in college than they did in high school -- they start studying things that they're really good at.

Other
ways in which people do better in college than HS include:
  • I straightened myself out and started working for a change.
  • I finally got some good teachers.
  • I had a medical condition in HS, but that's been resolved.
If anyone who did poorly in HS wants to go to college, I'd encourage them to get advice from somebody appropriate on whether they are likely to succeed, and what kind of support structure might be necessary for success.

To pick your example, somebody's music teacher might advise them to do a music degree, for example.

Only studying what you're really good at if that's an option available to you is great, so long as what you're really good at has viable career potential. I have mixed feelings about how in the US there's general education requirements.

OK, I got your main point to the OP. I was just expounding. I think the reasons for why a student did poorly in HS matters a lot. If it's due to a lack of effort, then obv. that needs to be improved on in order to due well in college. Some people don't do as well in HS not bc of a lack of effort but bc of aptitude in specific subjects or maybe another challenge like being an ESL student. It's why I think if the problem was mainly not because of effort but skill being allowed to focus exclusively on what you're talented in would be really helpful. I'm not a music major. I do teach music as my college job, not my career. There's a lot of music teachers at the music centre who didn't do as well in HS bc they were still learning English. Obv. gaining a stronger command of English is beneficial overall their lives. But in music classes it's less of a barrier to them than other subjects. It's why I think they have done better at Canadian universities as music majors only taking music classes than they would have at an American college where they would have had to take a variety of classes outside of their strengths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only studying what you're really good at if that's an option available to you is great, so long as what you're really good at has viable career potential.

There is that.

I have mixed feelings about how in the US there's general education requirements.

When I look at US general education requirements in college, they always seem to be things that I learned in high school here in Australia.

I think the reasons for why a student did poorly in HS matters a lot.

I think we're 100% in agreement there. Whatever the problem in HS was, you'd need to be certain that it was fixed, or at least under control.

And it's certainly worth reminding people that, when you consider the total cost of a college degree, north of the border or overseas might well be a feasible option.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
There is that.

When I look at US general education requirements in college, they always seem to be things that I learned in high school here in Australia.

What's become pretty popular in the US is to finish up the last 2 yrs of your high school and the first two years of college simultaneously. It's called a dual enrollment program. It's what my girlfriend did. Saved her two years of time, saved a whole heck of a lot of money.

I definitely do see your point, that much of what is required for Gen Ed fulfillment is indeed what ought to have been covered in HS. The problem is that all too often it hasn't been. The US is lagging in quite a few areas in comparison to peers, most noticeably with science & with foreign language. Some high schools also don't require nearly enough research, so it's how folks end up in college having never written a research paper in their life. I think regardless of what you're majoring in learning how to go about doing proper research, finding solid sources, putting it all together, that that's a useful skill. For homeschooled kids, some of them have never been graded by anybody but a parent.

For me, I've found the Gen Eds to be pretty useful. For some of the requirements you can take an exam, if you do well, you don't have to take the class. Truth be told I've really enjoyed the Gen Ed classes. They are to an extent the same classes as in HS but at a higher level. I went to a fantastic school. Jesuit. They did a superb job. I still have found there's plenty I didn't learn, that I've truly gained from learning!

And it's certainly worth reminding people that, when you consider the total cost of a college degree, north of the border or overseas might well be a feasible option.

At GA Tech we've got a ton of international students from Asia. They've said they've got a lot of buddies from home up at Waterloo, other schools in Canada. On account of it being so much cheaper. But as a GA resident this school is definitely an excellent value. I do recommend that Americans look at the best in-state schools first. I go for free, so can't hardly beat that price!

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Generally colleges won’t accept C-D students

“Generally”

I was accepted into a good school and I had a 2.3 GPA in high school and an 1110 on the new SAT. In high school I was in remedial classes.

Ever here I am struggling, the last 2 semesters I was on the verge of being kicked out or not having the financial means to go back but I prayed to god and I’m still here.

I don’t think there is a limit to how much you can work, but I work for my university and they limit us to 15 hours a week

I don’t think many colleges offer specialized courses during the first semester. That’s something you start doing your junior year and for good reason. You need the intro courses and core classes to set a foundation for your studies

I'm just wondering whether or not your 1110 new SAT score is a superscore? (Also, I guess it may be true that many U.S. universities may not have a work limit, however, I think that probably applies ONLY to students who either are U.S. citizens or who have work permits or visas that allow them to work an unlimited amount of hours. I’m stating this in case some other people reading this thread are also non-U.S. citizens and considering going to college in the U.S.)
I agree that it's probably not a good idea. But you need to look at the situation in your state. In mine, anyone can attend a community college, and if they do OK, transfer to any state university after 2 years. The universities have to accept credits from the community colleges, even if the courses aren't as rigorous.

I wasn't sure what exactly you were referring to when you said "it's probably not a good idea". What do you mean by that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm just wondering whether or not your 1110 new SAT score is a superscore? (Also, I guess it may be true that many U.S. universities may not have a work limit, however, I think that probably applies ONLY to students who either are U.S. citizens or who have work permits or visas that allow them to work an unlimited amount of hours.)

I wasn't sure what exactly you were referring to when you said "it's probably not a good idea". What do you mean by that?

Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm wondering why you're wanting to go to college in the US as a student from China? Is it to bc you hope to live in the US afterwards? Or another reason? You could look into colleges in Canada if you're just wanting to be in N America & perfect English. Though your English is better than many native speakers, from what you've written so far, lol. Most Canadian universities don't require the SAT. Some programs are super hard to get into, mine has a low admit rate & a really involved process. Others are super, super easy to get into. Like there's some in New Brunswick that literally have 93% acceptance rate. 1 school in particular has been in an enrollment crisis for yrs & has been desperate for students so they're willing to work with anybody interested in going there. It still has a decent reputation so you wouldn't be getting a worthless education. It's mainly bc the location is so awful horribly cold & extremely isolated that nobody wants to go there. But if you like being somewhere quiet & you don't mind the cold it's OK.

In the US probably community colleges are the smartest way to go. If you really want to start at a 4 yr university look into the Christian colleges that have super high admit rates like Houghton in NY. They'll definitely accept you. Christian colleges are private so they're super expensive if you don't have a scholarship so that's the major downside.

• Agree
Reactions: Neal82
Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm wondering why you're wanting to go to college in the US as a student from China? Is it to bc you hope to live in the US afterwards? Or another reason? You could look into colleges in Canada if you're just wanting to be in N America & perfect English. Though your English is better than many native speakers, from what you've written so far, lol. Most Canadian universities don't require the SAT. Some programs are super hard to get into, mine has a low admit rate & a really involved process. Others are super, super easy to get into. Like there's some in New Brunswick that literally have 93% acceptance rate. 1 school in particular has been in an enrollment crisis for yrs & has been desperate for students so they're willing to work with anybody interested in going there. It still has a decent reputation so you wouldn't be getting a worthless education. It's mainly bc the location is so awful horribly cold & extremely isolated that nobody wants to go there. But if you like being somewhere quiet & you don't mind the cold it's OK.

In the US probably community colleges are the smartest way to go. If you really want to start at a 4 yr university look into the Christian colleges that have super high admit rates like Houghton in NY. They'll definitely accept you. Christian colleges are private so they're super expensive if you don't have a scholarship so that's the major downside.

I don’t mind the question, but I don’t really feel comfortable answering that question fully on a public forum.

A bit too late for me to go to college in Canada now in any case because in the end I decided to attend college this academic year and I don’t think I applied to any colleges/universities in Canada (not that I have anything against Canada, it just wasn’t somewhere I thought of when applying to colleges). Thanks for the thought though :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0