Portage
✟8,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Beck has done a commendable job of bringing together the best of Behavioral Therapy and RET (Rational Emotive Therapy) under the umbrella of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), the therapy of the day. David Burns has done an excellent job of popularizing CBT. However, though these ideas are mostly consistent with Biblical principles, I am more interested in how the Bible addresses these issues. My question is, in regard to the ten popularized "Cognitive Distortions" what would more likely be the ten distorted thoughts as God would outline them? I'd love some feedback on this one.

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
upload_2017-10-20_3-20-45.jpeg

Our apologies for the inconvenience. After consideration, it has been determined that Deeper Fellowship is the best fit for this post.
From the SOP of the forum:
Deeper Fellowship Statement of Purpose

The Deeper Fellowship forum is a place for members to have peaceful, uplifting, encouraging, and safe interactions with fellow believers. The focus of this forum is on the love of Christ and all that He has done for us, giving us access to the Father through Him as we are guided by the Holy Spirit. Those who choose to participate in this forum are looking for a deeper walk with the Lord through fellowship with His family.
This forum is not the place to discuss or debate church practices, specific church leaders, interpretations of Scripture or theological topics. If you would like to discuss or debate any of these topics please do so in the appropriate forum. Please remember that personal Prophecy (prophetic utterance) is considered off-topic to all site forums; these may be posted in your own personal Blog or the Christian Forums Blogs.

It's alright to discuss Scripture if it's done in the spirit of fellowship and praise and not with the intention of getting into a debate about the interpretation of Scripture or theological topics. We would like this forum to remain a place where Christian members from all denominations can find pure, simple, and uncomplicated love of our Savior and of our family in Him.
If you feel that a post may violate the rules of this SoP, or the sitewide rules, please report the post instead of responding to it. If you have issues with another member and can't work it out, or are disgruntled about a staff decision, please click on the "Support" tab in the header navigation bar, or "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page, and open a new support ticket to discuss the situation with a CF Administrator. Discussion of members or staff actions in the forums is considered disruptive and can result in additional staff actions.

CF staff reserves the right to edit, remove, move or close any thread when deemed necessary. All posts must adhere to the Christian Forums sitewide rules.

Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟838,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Beck has done a commendable job of bringing together the best of Behavioral Therapy and RET (Rational Emotive Therapy) under the umbrella of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), the therapy of the day. David Burns has done an excellent job of popularizing CBT. However, though these ideas are mostly consistent with Biblical principles, I am more interested in how the Bible addresses these issues. My question is, in regard to the ten popularized "Cognitive Distortions" what would more likely be the ten distorted thoughts as God would outline them? I'd love some feedback on this one.
One I noticed in the gospels where people seemed to be getting along with Jesus but then he'd see right through it and call them out on it. To God, thinking you know someone when you don't, pretending you like someone when you're just using them, and other forms of hypocrisy is a form of distortion that God cannot stand.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟838,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When the crowd was about to stone Jesus, He pointed out His many good deeds and asked, "For which of these are you stoning Me?" The crowd was totally overlooking the good He had done, and wanted to zero in on what they thought was blasphemy. Think "discounting the positive" and "mental filter."

When the enemy wanted to make himself "like the Most High" because he wasn't content with being second in command, I see "all-or-nothing thinking."

Mental filter shows up in the Garden of Eden. All they could focus on was the one thing God told them not to do. With a bit of an assist from the enemy's deliberate overgeneralization. "Did God really say you can't eat from ANY of these trees?" No, only one of them.

Emotional reasoning ("I feel it, so it must be true") comes in with 1 John 3:20, "If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything." This addresses people who have trouble accepting that God has forgiven them. They haven't forgiven themselves, so they feel condemned. They need to take assurances in His promises, no matter what they feel.

Upvote 0