Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know, it is a bit unorthodox how I do things...

I used a Keurig for several years, and liked the coffee and convenience. But I really don’t like the environmental effect of all that plastic trash. Even if you use the reusable cups though (and I don’t know if the newer machines permit it), it still uses about twice as much coffee as a regular coffee maker.

I like a French press, and use it when I have the time to relax and enjoy it. But for daily coffee, I use a Bunn coffee maker and am very happy with it (for about 15 years now, and still works like new).

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Except for at Christmas when I like to melt candy canes in hot coffee, I drink it iced year-round. The thoughtfulness of the gift will be to tailor it to her preference of coffee, and also bearing in mind practicalities such as counter / refrigerator space. I'm not sure if she lives on campus or off. I live at home and we have a De’Longhi Dinamica coffee and espresso machine for iced drinks, plus this Kitchen Aid cold brewer that lives in the refrigerator; both are awesome, but both are pricier and consume more space.

I gave my friend who lives on campus and views iced coffee as being nearly as necessary as oxygen a cold brewer that is much smaller and fits into her mini fridge:
https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-10310...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WG3521VMPQCG4ZTPXDGY

The only negative is that you have to plan in advance because it needs to brew for like 10 hours. It's not like the ready-made iced coffee concentrate you can buy at Trader Joe's.

What's most popular on campus is definitely the K-Mini Single serve coffee maker because it's so narrow it only requires a sliver of space. It's deservedly controversial due to the environmental impact, but most now use reusable K-cups. They're not as wasteful and they're more economical since you can just fill them with regular coffee. Both the coffee maker and the reusable K-cups are actually sold at our bookstore. There's one other coffee maker that is sold, and it's less expensive but not as popular because the quality is poor.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Except for at Christmas when I like to melt candy canes in hot coffee, I drink it iced year-round. The thoughtfulness of the gift will be to tailor it to her preference of coffee, and also bearing in mind practicalities such as counter / refrigerator space. I'm not sure if she lives on campus or off. I live at home and we have a De’Longhi Dinamica coffee and espresso machine for iced drinks, plus this Kitchen Aid cold brewer that lives in the refrigerator; both are awesome, but both are pricier and consume more space.

I gave my friend who lives on campus and views iced coffee as being nearly as necessary as oxygen a cold brewer that is much smaller and fits into her mini fridge:
https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-10310...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WG3521VMPQCG4ZTPXDGY

The only negative is that you have to plan in advance because it needs to brew for like 10 hours. It's not like the ready-made iced coffee concentrate you can buy at Trader Joe's.

What's most popular on campus is definitely the K-Mini Single serve coffee maker because it's so narrow it only requires a sliver of space. It's deservedly controversial due to the environmental impact, but most now use reusable K-cups. They're not as wasteful and they're more economical since you can just fill them with regular coffee. Both the coffee maker and the reusable K-cups are actually sold at our bookstore. There's one other coffee maker that is sold, and it's less expensive but not as popular because the quality is poor.

Great input Ella, thanks for that! She's living off campus right now in a house she shares with other gals but she's moving into a little studio on campus in January. She'll be qualified to live in graduate student housing so it's a nice step up from the dorms. It's still pretty darn small so you're right to think about the space. She'll be starting over from scratch with stocking it with stuff, on account of most of the stuff in the house she's in now belonging to the other gals. So she will need the coffeemaker. I already told her mom I'd get that for her.

She mainly likes hot coffee, iced tea. She does drink coffee cold when it's hot as stew out. That cold brew pitcher is so cheap I can definitely get that for her, in addition to a normal coffeemaker. I didn't know you could get reusable cups for those Keurigs, that'd definitely make it a better option.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've used a Keurig for years. Can't beat it's convenience and especially it's brewing consistency. Prefer Green Mountain's Wild Mountain Blueberry pods.

Blueberry flavored coffee? Can't say that would float my boat but seeing as how pumpkin coffee is so popular it's not that much of a stretch to see how blueberry would be too. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Concord1968
Upvote 0

_Dave_

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
✟144,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been grinding my own beans since I can remember, and pouring hot water into a cone and filter to make the coffee.

A few years ago I discovered the AeroPress. All the advantage of using a French press, but without the disadvantages. This kit shown here is available on Amazon for $29. You really don't need the whole kit in everyday use. I regularly use only the AeroPress and a filter, foregoing the funnel, paddle and ladle.

The AeroPress makes a good four ounces of rich, espresso-type coffee, or you can add additional hot water and make a full cup of Americano coffee.

It cleans extremely easily. The filters are cheap. And it packs very compact for travel.

The AeroPress is so favored by coffee aficionados, you can actually order an AeroPress coffee at a coffee bar in Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport. Check out AeroPress on YouTube. You'll be fascinated.

71iwythG2qL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not like coffee myself all that much. Now and then maybe but not routinely. My girlfriend, OTOH, loves coffee. She's been complaining that her coffee maker is acting up. I was looking at those Keurigs and Nespressos as a Christmas gift. There's already some Black Friday sales. They're still kinda pricy. Or maybe just an old-school coffee maker but one that is new. I do like that some come in red, her favorite color.

What do y'all use?

Indonesian or Vietnamese slow drip.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hazelnut creamer, water, instant crystals. Yay! In a mug.
If you could only get some powdered water, you'd have all you need for a really terrible cup of coffee
OB :)

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been grinding my own beans since I can remember, and pouring hot water into a cone and filter to make the coffee.

A few years ago I discovered the AeroPress. All the advantage of using a French press, but without the disadvantages. This kit shown here is available on Amazon for $29. You really don't need the whole kit in everyday use. I regularly use only the AeroPress and a filter, foregoing the funnel, paddle and ladle.

The AeroPress makes a good four ounces of rich, espresso-type coffee, or you can add additional hot water and make a full cup of Americano coffee.

It cleans extremely easily. The filters are cheap. And it packs very compact for travel.

The AeroPress is so favored by coffee aficionados, you can actually order an AeroPress coffee at a coffee bar in Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport. Check out AeroPress on YouTube. You'll be fascinated.

71iwythG2qL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

I had an AeroPress moment a couple years back and mostly enjoyed using it with lighter roasts.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Whitelinen

Jan 22, 2020
Land
✟15,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm back to a Mr. Coffee for now but do prefer a French press (have 2) but it's not only the maker it's a combo of other things such as

water - should be cold and filtered - I also like to use charcoal capsules opened and poured on top of the grinds before brewing.
Coffee - also should be fresh not stored in freezer, and ground fresh if you can. I prefer Organic too.

Upvote 0

ColoRaydo

Feb 9, 2017
Colorado
✟33,572.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We live in a 130 year old, skinny, three story house. My wife and I have our bedroom in the 3rd floor. (Each stairway has 24 steps). The kitchen is on the 1st floor. I told her that it was a pain to go down two flights of stairs to get coffee in the morning. For my birthday she gave me a Keurig which goes right on my nightstand next to the bed. I wake up, I reach over, “click”, and here it comes!

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a 1 1/2 qt glass Purex carafe and a percolating tower with basket at top. I can perk coffee over 3 candles, Sterno, or the stove. The spaces between my teeth are just right for filtering the grounds that got through. I think that the soft, amber light radiation from the candles gives it the best flavor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So, I know this is old, but it's Covid-19 out there and I'm bored...

I hate the Keurig. My coffee maker quit working and my roommate offered to replace it, and the keurig was brought home. I haven't had a cup of coffee that I love since it entered my kitchen. It's always brewed too strong. I miss buying my favorite brand of coffee because the K-cup version of it is too expensive. It's too time consuming to use. Before I could brew once in the morning and then just pop in the kitchen and pour a fresh cup as needed. Now I have to brew every single cup.

My kitchen is small so I don't have counter space for both a Keurig and a coffee maker. My roommate loves his Keurig and would want to keep using it. I'm debating getting a Mr. Coffee or Black and Decker coffee maker and moving the Keurig into the roommate's bedroom, or just waiting for the Keurig to die and quickly replace it with what I want.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So, I know this is old, but it's Covid-19 out there and I'm bored...

I hate the Keurig. My coffee maker quit working and my roommate offered to replace it, and the keurig was brought home. I haven't had a cup of coffee that I love since it entered my kitchen. It's always brewed too strong. I miss buying my favorite brand of coffee because the K-cup version of it is too expensive. It's too time consuming to use. Before I could brew once in the morning and then just pop in the kitchen and pour a fresh cup as needed. Now I have to brew every single cup.

My kitchen is small so I don't have counter space for both a Keurig and a coffee maker. My roommate loves his Keurig and would want to keep using it. I'm debating getting a Mr. Coffee or Black and Decker coffee maker and moving the Keurig into the roommate's bedroom, or just waiting for the Keurig to die and quickly replace it with what I want.
The bolded part cracked me up ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not like coffee myself all that much. Now and then maybe but not routinely. My girlfriend, OTOH, loves coffee. She's been complaining that her coffee maker is acting up. I was looking at those Keurigs and Nespressos as a Christmas gift. There's already some Black Friday sales. They're still kinda pricy. Or maybe just an old-school coffee maker but one that is new. I do like that some come in red, her favorite color.

What do y'all use?
If you buy her one of those lazy or arrogant type of coffee makers just remember that that $120 - $300 initial investment is JUST the start instead of paying $8 - $15 for some good grind or beans which will make several hundred cups of great coffee you pay around $150 for just 200 cups at a quantity purchase price of the pods otherwise around a dollar per cup.

Upvote 0