closed for discussion

PersephonesTear

Jul 14, 2013
✟9,344.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
No, looking a certain way is not sinful.

Gluttony is sinful.

Being fat can sometimes be the result of gluttony, but often is not.

Thin people can also be gluttonous.

The way that your physical body looks is never a sin, and our purpose in life is not to decorate someone else's world.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, looking a certain way is not sinful.

Gluttony is sinful.

Being fat can sometimes be the result of gluttony, but often is not.

Thin people can also be gluttonous.

The way that your physical body looks is never a sin, and our purpose in life is not to decorate someone else's world.

^This :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I did not read the whole thing i heard enough after a couple paragraphs. This body of flesh will never glorify God because it also has sin living it. Did Jesus body of Flesh glorify God, Yes, be cause It had no sin in it. Jesus lived the way God intended. He is perfect in all regards.

The way a person looks to not speak to there heart, with this logic movie stars would be God's elite because they all look good and almost all are in shape, but we know movie starts tend to live a life of sin.

God said not to live to eat, so you could say it is a sin if you live to eat. It has nothing to do with the way a person looks, but with them severing their fleshly desires instead of God.

So i think the article is junk.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How would one define gluttony in the Biblical sense?

I think in the Biblical sense it would be living to eat. This does not mean food is a sin, or even eating passed full is a sin. You can pig out with out it being a sin. What the Bible is speaking of is when you start serving your fleshly desires over you spiritual ones, this is a severe problem. In this case the desire is food it could just as easy be lust, drinking, drugs, or even laziness. We are to put our fleshly desires to death, and live by spirit.

Does that answer your question?

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
ALso there is a movement to say not eating "healthy" is a sin, they say because the body is a temple, this is false. The Body is a temple, but eating Healthy is of this world. Look at the world and look how occupied they are with what to eat and drink. You think Paul worried for one second about what he ate, No. John the baptist ate honey and locus, now that does not seem like a proper diet, but it was because it was what God gave John to eat. You will find people love to mix the worldly with scripture, these people are stuck in the world. God tells us to stand apart from the world and not get caught up in all the silly and unimportant stuff it worries about.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
John the Baptist's diet was perfect and healthy, with all the minerals and nutrients the body as Yhwh created the body needs to grow and thrive generously, and his diet was also without toxins and without man-made chemicals that harm the body.

Daniel and all the men with him, and Joseph, Moses, and thousands or millions of Yhwh's people all had a choice to enjoy the riches of the world, including its dainty treats and morsels and other 'foods',
and chose instead to obey Yhwh, and they were all accounted by Yhwh faithful and were blessed by Him.
There were some who did not obey, and they were punished and/or cursed by Yhwh, exactly as His Word says.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
John the Baptist's diet was perfect and healthy, with all the minerals and nutrients the body as Yhwh created the body needs to grow and thrive generously, and his diet was also without toxins and without man-made chemicals that harm the body.

Daniel and all the men with him, and Joseph, Moses, and thousands or millions of Yhwh's people all had a choice to enjoy the riches of the world, including its dainty treats and morsels and other 'foods',
and chose instead to obey Yhwh, and they were all accounted by Yhwh faithful and were blessed by Him.
There were some who did not obey, and they were punished and/or cursed by Yhwh, exactly as His Word says.

Yeah don't preach dietary laws in this section, we do not believe that, thanks.;)

Like Jesus said i have food which you know nothing about.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

C-Man

Apr 12, 2010
Texas
✟9,173.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Simply being overweight isn't a sin. There are lots of medical reasons a person can get fat without overeating and not exercising, some of them almost impossible to overcome. Physical disability, various glandular conditions, and hormonal issues come to mind.

As a consequence of overeating, it's still not a sin. The overeating itself, however, is. That would fall under gluttony. It's analogous to robbing somebody and going to jail. The sitting in jail isn't a sin.

Some think they don't have time to eat right on the job, and just grab a burger or something. That's not really an excuse, though. Make the time. :p Either make a lunch of some kind the night before, or pick something besides fast food. Everything we put into our bodies has a measurable, cumulative effect over time, be it positive or negative.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I personally have problems with being taught spiritual disciplines from a thick preacher..

That's intensive you have no idea what the problem is with His weight, I bet you would take issue with being preached to by a homeless man, but we know angels appear as homeless men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What are these problems?

Most overweight issues are discipline related not medical problems...

growing up between 1900 and 1980 that was usually true.

not any more.

now the food supply, water supply, and air is so corrupted, on purpose, for profit directly or indirectly,

that along with the proven published and known side-effects of very common medicines

are the main problem today.

discipline, or lack of discipline, is still a very wide-spread problem,
but
it is no longer the biggest cause of over-weight in the usa.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

growing up between 1900 and 1980 that was usually true.

not any more.

now the food supply, water supply, and air is so corrupted, on purpose, for profit directly or indirectly,

that along with the proven published and known side-effects of very common medicines

are the main problem today.

discipline, or lack of discipline, is still a very wide-spread problem,
but
it is no longer the biggest cause of over-weight in the usa.

You left out the fact we have cars now and machine do much of the work load, and days relaxing are spent in front of the tv. As a culture we are much less active than 100 years ago, then you add the problems with with food.

I think your right discipline is not really an issue any more.

I am about 20 pounds over weight, I have a lot of muscle from body building days and martial arts, I think if I dropped 20 pounds I would be 10% body fat which is ideal for a male 20% for a woman, however, my meds make it impossible for me to lose weight unless I go days with out eating at all. right now i eat one two max meals a day. I take in 1200 cals a day, the recommended is 2000. I still don't lose weight.

So yeah i find that statement untrue.

Upvote 0