Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, they did, back in July of 2008 under George W. Bush. Quite a bit higher.

Not true actually...highest it got in 2008 was a factor of 37.9; and now we're at 49.6

Gasoline Inflation in the United States (1968-2021) | US Inflation Calculator

Now, let's look into the reasons behind each occurrence, and where the causal responsibilities lie; namely, how culpable the Bush administration was in the financial crisis in 2008 that caused gas to spike versus the Biden administration's current foreign policies and economic decisions (that's causing gas to spike).

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Not true actually...highest it got in 2008 was a factor of 37.9; and now we're at 49.6

Gasoline Inflation in the United States (1968-2021) | US Inflation Calculator

Now, let's look into the reasons behind each occurrence, and where the causal responsibilities lie; namely, how culpable the Bush administration was in the financial crisis in 2008 that caused gas to spike versus the Biden administration's current foreign policies and economic decisions (that's causing gas to spike).

Gas was $4.589 a gallon on June 12, 2008 in Cle Ellum Washington. Gas buddy say it currently is $3.119 in Cle Ellum Washington. I don't know about any magical formulas, I just go by the price at the pump.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟144,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Gas was $4.589 a gallon on June 12, 2008 in Cle Ellum Washington. Gas buddy say it currently is $3.119 in Cle Ellum Washington. I don't know about any magical formulas, I just go by the price at the pump.
$5.68 in 2021 dollars

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just when you thought fuel prices couldn't get much higher....
They CAN always go much higher, but they won't be going much higher (if at all). Anyone who knows the market for oil would know this.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They CAN always go much higher, but they won't be going much higher (if at all). Anyone who knows the market for oil would know this.

I'd be willing to take that bet. The out of control spending in DC is going to lead us into inflation, dare I say hyperinflation....it's not just about gas, it's about the dollar itself.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

It must be compared with something, last year the "price at the pump," which is your metric of judgement, was under $2.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,194,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It must be compared with something, last year the "price at the pump," which is your metric of judgement, was under $2.
We can have those low prices again, we just need a similar world wide collapse in demand for oil.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd be willing to take that bet. The out of control spending in DC is going to lead us into inflation, dare I say hyperinflation....
This is your theory but it's not backed by any facts. Inflation has bottomed out and is going to go up. Frankly, it needs to go up for the sake of the economy. Dare you say hyperinflation? Well, I'll dare you to say it, because it isn't going to happen and it will be just another wild speculation about the future that will be proven false.

it's not just about gas, it's about the dollar itself.
It's not just about gas, but it's also about gas. It's about both the dollar and gas. There will be a rise in inflation. It will be healthy. Current gas prices are rebounding from the pipeline cyber-attack that caused a spike briefly, but even after this rebound gas prices are bound to increase a little more as inflation and demand both increase. At the end of summer, gas prices decrease, which is typical.

The doom and gloom forecast of hyper-inflation is just some kind of scare tactic from pundits on the right and gas prices, having returned to normal from pandemic-time unnatural lows, will not skyrocket as many on the right are claiming. Wall Street certainly does not see it happening.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟560,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd be willing to take that bet. The out of control spending in DC is going to lead us into inflation, dare I say hyperinflation....it's not just about gas, it's about the dollar itself.

It's times like these that I wished CF had something like reddit's reminder bot that would alert us to predictions like this.

Maybe we just have to tag @essentialsaltes and let him handle it???

Upvote 0