Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From the Baptist Standard:
Clergy expelled from church prior to Trump photo op

June 2, 2020

| Source: Religion News Service
WASHINGTON (RNS)—President Trump stood before the historic St. John’s Episcopal Church in downtown Washington, D.C., on June 1 and held aloft a Bible for cameras.

During the photo opportunity, Trump said relatively little, positioned stoically in front of the boarded-up church...

The church appeared to be completely abandoned.

It was, in fact, abandoned, but not by choice. Less than an hour before Trump’s arrival, armored police used tear gas to clear hundreds of peaceful demonstrators from Lafayette Square park, which is across the street from the church.

Authorities also expelled at least one Episcopal priest and a seminarian from the church’s patio.

“They turned holy ground into a battleground,” said Gini Gerbasi, who serves as rector at a different Saint John’s Episcopal Church in Georgetown.

Gerbasi arrived at St. John’s Lafayette earlier that day with what she said were at least 20 other priests and a group of laypeople. They were organized by the Episcopal Diocese of Washington to serve as a “peaceful presence in support of protestors.”

The volunteers and clergy offered water, snacks, and hand sanitizer to demonstrators who were gathered in Lafayette Park across the street—directly in front of the White House—to denounce racism and police brutality following the death of George Floyd.

But sometime after 6 p.m., when volunteers were packing up supplies, Gerbasi said police suddenly began to expel demonstrators from the park before the 7 p.m. curfew announced for Washington residents earlier in the day.

Gerbasi and others eventually fled the scene, leaving emergency medical supplies behind. By the time she reached K street several blocks away and checked her phone, Trump already was in front of the church holding a Bible.

“That’s what it was for: to clear that patio so that man could stand in front of that building with a Bible,” Gerbasi said.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...and they were not expelled "from (the) church" as the headline falsely claims.

Note the description given by the Rev. Gini Gerbasi. "“The patio of St. John's, Lafayette square had been HOLY GROUND today,” she added. “A place of respite and laughter and water and granola bars and fruit snacks.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
...and they were not expelled "from (the) church" as the headline falsely claims.

If you don't think tear gassing the place and firing rubber bullets at anyone on the church property is "expelling", I'd say you were being disingenuous.

At least the priest didn’t get tear gassed or roughed up.

The the priest had not fled before the troops entered the church patio, do you think the troopers would have stopped?

I'm thinking that they would not have.

Would they have tolerated people on the rest of the church property? I don't think they would have. The order had been given to clear the place and that's what they did.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you don't think tear gassing the place and firing rubber bullets at anyone on the church property is "expelling", I'd say you were being disingenuous.
What I actually said, however was that the claim of clergy being driven out of the church was bogus because--in the rector's own words--it was a patio where a social gathering and snacks, etc. were the action!

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At least the priest didn’t get tear gassed or roughed up.
Considering tear gas was not used I don’t see why he would.

From my many encounters with CS gas (tear gas) I can confidently say no matter the wind speed that stuff clings to everything for hours after use.

Do you really think “The Don” would go to a place with the caustic smell and effects of CS remaining?

The USPP did early on admit the use of pepper balls on the more violent of protesters.

Statement from United States Park Police acting Chief Gregory T. Monahan about the actions taken over the weekend to protect life and property - United States Park Police (U.S. National Park Service)

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Considering tear gas was not used I don’t see why he would.

Trump's own CDC classifies the chemicals used against those people as "tear gas." Barr got himself caught in the same lie in a televised interview. This stuff is doing Biden a lot of good.

When are they going to learn that lying about things only makes it worse?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What I actually said, however was that the claim of clergy being driven out of the church was bogus because--in the rector's own words--it was a patio where a social gathering and snacks, etc. were the action!

Probably because they were driven from church property. Pettifogging the fact is probably only going to make things worse for Trump at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums