East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I would suggest that something being in a dictionary doesn't really tell us whether it is a desiarable use or not - dictionaries don't neccesarily work that way.

For example, you can find the word "irregardless" in some dictionaries, which is a word that should never see the light of day, or even the common but totally incorrect understanding of the phrase "begs the question" which renders useles the actual meaning of the term.

However, in this case I beieve the meaning of exposit and expound are slightly different and both are words.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest that something being in a dictionary doesn't really tell us whether it is a desiarable use or not - dictionaries don't neccesarily work that way.

For example, you can find the word "irregardless" in some dictionaries.

Quite right, and I think of that every time someone insists that because a certain word is given a certain definition in the dictionary--often along with a half-dozen alternate meanings--that it is final. The dictionary, as you said, reports on all uses of the word, even slang and incorrect ones if they are common enough.

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I think of Classical Anglicanism, I always think about the blog The Conciliar Anglican, which is operated by Fr. Jonathan. I highly recommend the blog, as I've learned a lot about Anglicanism from Fr. Jonathan's posts. He also contributes to "The Living Church" magazine, which is a bit conservative leaning and is written from a more catholic point of view. Classical Anglicanism is generally going to involve some sort of adherence to the 39 Articles. Fr. Jonathan, for example, views them as being extremely important and deserving of more attention, yet he does not see them as a confessional statement, but more as guidelines. The truth is, if you ask 10 Anglicans what classical Anglicanism is, you will probably get 10 different answers. However, any answer is bound to emphasize the 39 Articles.

The Conciliar Anglican | reflections on Anglican teaching and practice

The Living Church | Serving the One Body of Christ

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,185.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
When I think of Classical Anglicanism, I always think about the blog The Conciliar Anglican, which is operated by Fr. Jonathan. I highly recommend the blog, as I've learned a lot about Anglicanism from Fr. Jonathan's posts. He also contributes to "The Living Church" magazine, which is a bit conservative leaning and is written from a more catholic point of view. Classical Anglicanism is generally going to involve some sort of adherence to the 39 Articles. Fr. Jonathan, for example, views them as being extremely important and deserving of more attention, yet he does not see them as a confessional statement, but more as guidelines. The truth is, if you ask 10 Anglicans what classical Anglicanism is, you will probably get 10 different answers. However, any answer is bound to emphasize the 39 Articles.

I have read in that blog before! I have learned things there for sure. I was actually considering a new thread to ask for other good Anglican/Episcopal blogs. :)

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I have read in that blog before! I have learned things there for sure. I was actually considering a new thread to ask for other good Anglican/Episcopal blogs. :)

He does seem to have a fetish for trashing evangelicals.

If he were in England, he would be free to speak his mind while being bankrolled by evangelicals.

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

That's a good idea for a thread. I have quite the list of blogs that I read that I'd be glad to share.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I would also recommend that website. I would also recommend Maple Anglican's blog, website, and youtube channel.

Furthermore, the idea that Fr. Jonathan "trashes" evangelicals is absurd. I've read all his blog entries on his personal website and watched all his youtube videos, and he's actually said a lot of positive things.

In terms of music, I know that the parish I attend when visiting family in North Carolina has a solemn liturgy that I think uses Merbecke's Noted Prayerbook for musical portions. I'd say that's pretty classical ;)

Upvote 0

Yardstick

Episcopalian
Oct 12, 2008
Kansas City, MO
✟8,539.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He does seem to have a fetish for trashing evangelicals.

Do you have any examples of this? He always seems to promote Anglicanism as Catholic AND Evangelical.

If he were in England, he would be free to speak his mind while being bankrolled by evangelicals.
Then I guess it is a good thing he is in The Episcopal Church and not the Church of England :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Yardstick said:
Do you have any examples of this? He always seems to promote Anglicanism as Catholic AND Evangelical. Then I guess it is a good thing he is in The Episcopal Church and not the Church of England :confused:
It seems to be an allusion to the fact that in some English dioceses it's a few, large, evangelical parishes that bring in much of the income. In some cases those parishes make a big thing of this and even try to hold the diocese to ransom.

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
It seems to be an allusion to the fact that in some English dioceses it's a few, large, evangelical parishes that bring in much of the income. In some cases those parishes make a big thing of this and even try to hold the diocese to ransom.

Do these congregation and dioceses have names?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Your not stupid so don't act like it and try contributing to the conversation rather then sapping life from it. You made a statement that some evangelical parishes hold the dioceses to ransom. Liberasit asked you which ones then you started being coy. Answer her question which diocese are being held to ransom.

It is better that names are not mentioned.

Liberasit's initial comment rather suggested the comment is true anyway.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Really? How so?

Commenting that one group is bankrolling another points to a particular attitude and thought process. If it is at all common among churchgoers, it is hard to imagine that it wouldn't result in people using that financial power.

Upvote 0

Liberasit

Oct 25, 2013
✟18,004.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Commenting that one group is bankrolling another points to a particular attitude and thought process. If it is at all common among churchgoers, it is hard to imagine that it wouldn't result in people using that financial power.

It's probably better to focus on one's own thought processes rather than malign another's. Just saying.

Upvote 0