Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
payattention said:
You could have figured out the answer to that several pages ago. Men chose to divide God's revelation of himself into general and special categories. It is still one revelation. I don't care what you call them.

As to the books you think are needed to provide the authority for treating those two man made categories, it only shows that your authority for treating them differently comes from man, and not from God. Thanks for clearing that up. If I am wrong, please show me the Biblical justification.

Payattention,

I just want to tell you that I think you can be very condescending at times, and that I don't like the tone of your voice in this post!

You've done nothing but atack me, and Tall the whole time you've been here!
You've insulted us, and implied that we are inferior to you in scholarship. This is not the spirit of Christ!

And I'm going to tell you right now, people are only going to put up with this for so long and they just won't bother discussing anything with you anymore. I can tell you right now that I am one of those people. So don't waste your time posting to me anymore because I am not interested in discussing anything with you again.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
payattention said:
You complicate matters by claiming that I said Paul cannot be listened to on any particular point. Maybe you can provide a screen shot where I said that. One does not exist. My point has always been that what we have in the Bible are human reflections on the interaction between God and his creation. As with anything man does we are sometimes correct and sometimees incorrect. Paul was not alway correct. Sometimes he was even aware of it. Other times he admitted that he was just giving his opinion. The only wise approach is to read him the way the Bereans did. I'll give you one example where he was wrong or used the wrong word, leading to a false teaching. It is clear both from John 3:16 and any summary review of nature that salvation is an act of love. Everyone who is lost deserves to be saved. Yet Paul says that we are saved by grace. We are not saved by grace. We deserved to be saved because we belonged to God and were taken away under false representations; deceived. Our opportunity to serve as ambassadors of the kingdom is an act of grace, not our salvation. Paul may have meant to refer to our service as ambassadors of Christ but he used the word saved. As a result Christians routinely present a contradictory view of salvation, declaring it to be both deserved and undeserved. But this error, or whatever you may call it, does not disqualify Paul anymore than an error in my textbook disqualfies the author as an authority in the field.

This comment I did not reply to earlier, because I wanted to calm down first, so I will reply now

What I am referring to is the conversation where I posted one of Paul's comments and you said "Paul saw through a glass dimly" ie...skipping over Pauls statement as though it had no value. If you really want me to find it I will, but I am sure you can recall the conversation.

Moreover, we have agreed that at times there might be human elements. And now you have agreed that it doesn't disqualify Paul as an authority. So why did you dismiss my point merely on the fact that Paul, in another chapter, said he sees dimly. The point is, that you only accept Paul when you like what Paul says. That is why I said you reject anything Paul says AT FACE VALUE, because you do.

And as to him saying he gave his opinion, I assume you are referring to I Corintians 7, (there may also be a mention in the discussion of weaker brothers, etc. I would have to check) I think you missed Paul's point there.

Finally, as I mentioned to you in pm earlier, I think woobadooba is right. I think you continually assert that you are superior to others in your method. But now when pressed, you say it is not even properly a method. What are we to make of this? You mean all this talk about your method and it doesn't even do anything? It is not a method? All it does is say that we can't know anything? If all your method says is that you can know nothing for sure, then I think I like my method better.

Upvote 0

payattention

Sep 23, 2005
✟903.00
Faith
SDA
tall73 said:
I think you continually assert that you are superior to others in your method. But now when pressed, you say it is not even properly a method. What are we to make of this? You mean all this talk about your method and it doesn't even do anything? It is not a method? All it does is say that we can't know anything? If all your method says is that you can know nothing for sure, then I think I like my method better.
It is always dangerous for anyone to assert superiority when the opposite can be so easily demonstrated.

Please recall that you are the one who kept insisting that I had a method that I needed to share. From the beginning I have simply claimed that modern theology has only produced confusion. My statements about the scientific method are not statements about my method. I have no method. I simple stated the truth, that the scientific simply provides an independent and objective framework in which all claims to truth can be checked.

I understand you preferring your method. How much longer do you wish this dreadful existence to continue? If we do the same thing repeatedly we can only expect the same outcome.

You are correct that we can know nothing. What we thought we knew 50 years ago we have now abandoned as our knowledge of the universe progresssed. There is nothing wrong in knowing nothing. The one who needs to know everything already does. The problem is when we do not seek to discover and allow our minds to atrophy. We will continue to learn throughout eternity. If we knew we would not need to learn. We are not preparing for a final examination. God is seeking people to trust Him for who He is not for what they want Him to be.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I stand corrected. You never claimed to have a method. You just put everyone else down because you felt theirs didn't work. And why? Because we are still on earth.

A. I fail to see how insulting everyone is not being conceited, even if you do say that you have no clue, which I don't always think you said by the way. And I still prefer my method to your non-method

B. You have made no connection whatsoever to how people interpret the scriptures and the fact that Jesus hasn't come yet. Do you really think Jesus hasn't come yet because Woobadooba or I used the wrong method in our post on Christian Forums?

Upvote 0

payattention

Sep 23, 2005
✟903.00
Faith
SDA
tall73 said:
Ok, I stand corrected. You never claimed to have a method. You just put everyone else down because you felt theirs didn't work. And why? Because we are still on earth.

A. I fail to see how insulting everyone is not being conceited, even if you do say that you have no clue, which I don't always think you said by the way. And I still prefer my method to your non-method

B. You have made no connection whatsoever to how people interpret the scriptures and the fact that Jesus hasn't come yet. Do you really think Jesus hasn't come yet because Woobadooba or I used the wrong method in our post on Christian Forums?
I get it now. You felt slighted because you felt I was belittling your efforts. Who feels it knows it so, if you feel slighted I apologise. However, this was not about you two. I was careful to first say that the effort you were engaged in was a noble one, then I went on to comment on the relevance to the mission of the church. I have been trying to figure out the connection. I think I have it now.

You are welcome to your method. That's not my problem. My concern is for God's plan for ushering in the kingdom. Everything else is secondary.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
payattention said:
I get it now. You felt slighted because you felt I was belittling your efforts. Who feels it knows it so, if you feel slighted I apologise. However, this was not about you two. I was careful to first say that the effort you were engaged in was a noble one, then I went on to comment on the relevance to the mission of the church. I have been trying to figure out the connection. I think I have it now.

You are welcome to your method. That's not my problem. My concern is for God's plan for ushering in the kingdom. Everything else is secondary.

Fair enough, we can leave it at that.

Upvote 0

Olikamay

Sep 11, 2005
✟191.00
Faith
SDA
payattention said:
Your words, not mine.

No, not my words.....but of a well known author....

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Benjamin Franklin

I felt somehow you knew this saying and reworded it hoping not to be detected.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or just knew the saying and hoped to make his point without bringing up other connotations.

That phrase is used for a great many things. I don't know as he intentionally disguised anyting. He simply said his point.

The problem is, there is not established any connection between posts on CF forum and Christ's non-return. So while the statement is true, it is not necessarily a bad thing here.

Let's see..

When you keep doing the same theology and using the same hermeneutic you keep coming up with the same truths. Yup, no problem there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

payattention

Sep 23, 2005
✟903.00
Faith
SDA
tall73 said:
The problem is, there is not established any connection between posts on CF forum and Christ's non-return. So while the statement is true, it is not necessarily a bad thing here.

Let's see..

When you keep doing the same theology and using the same hermeneutic you keep coming up with the same truths. Yup, no problem there.
CF is only a Christian community but it reflects the predominant philosophy of Christians. The purpose of this life is not to be right but to get to the new life. That is the only outcome that matters. Christ was supposed to return almost 2000 years ago. That is indisputable. Notwithstanding the theological exploits of the Christian community He has still not come. This ought to be a matter of concern to all because the longer this life lasts the more difficult life will become.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jonno said:
I'm sure I've learnt something very valuable from this thread so far......might take me a millenium to figure it out though........:D :D
:)

You keep saying that His return is dependant on our theological exploits.

Perhaps you might consider how He put it himself...

This message of the kingdom will go to all nations as a witness, then the end will come.

Upvote 0

payattention

Sep 23, 2005
✟903.00
Faith
SDA
tall73 said:
:)

You keep saying that His return is dependant on our theological exploits.

Perhaps you might consider how He put it himself...

This message of the kingdom will go to all nations as a witness, then the end will come.
And our theological exploits, as you put it, are preventing the gospel from going to all the world as a witness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums