Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Different denominations will answer this differently; but in general, in the Christian west, a civil marriage is still considered a valid marriage. The difference is that in a religious marriage we pray and ask God to bless the couple and their marriage.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The difference is that in a religious marriage we pray and ask God to bless the couple and their marriage.
In both cases, the couple is declaring their covenant (before God) to others; not being made married by them.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I would do a wedding in the church for no fee if a couple couldn't afford to pay. Cost shouldn't be a barrier.
Made me smile. That is really so sweet of you!:):):)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do other churches denomination charge then?
I know here in England because anyone can get married in a CoE church they charge for the church, vicarr and organist.
In the nondenom church I attend no charge is made for any church member getting married.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Made me smile. That is really so sweet of you!:):):)

Thanks, but I would have thought it should be a no-brainer, not a particular virtue for me!

Do other churches denomination charge then?
I know here in England because anyone can get married in a CoE church they charge for the church, vicarr and organist.
In the nondenom church I attend no charge is made for any church member getting married.

In my parish, members would generally only pay for the organist (who, after all, has to make a living from his work). Non-members usually pay for use of the building, and for the vicar's time. That said, as I noted above, if there were a couple without means I wouldn't see them go without a church wedding if that's what they wanted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If the two people are eligible to marry according to God's standards, then yes, civil marriages are valid marriages. Scripture alludes to unbelievers in a married state - Genesis 39 outright recognizes the marriage between Potiphar and his wife where there is no evidence that they believed in God, and 1 Corinthians 7:12-16 alludes to marriages that were established before one of the spouses converted.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0