City of Austin, TX drafts resolution to decriminalize abortion

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...nalize-abortion-if-roe-v-wade-is-struck-down/

In anticipation of the potential ruling, Austin City Council Member José “Chito” Vela has proposed a resolution, the Guarding the Right to Abortion Care for Everyone Act, or the GRACE Act, to stand in the way of prosecution of so-called abortion crimes.
The resolution would restrict city funds from being used to investigate any kind of alleged abortion crimes and would instruct the city’s police department to treat abortion as the “lowest priority” for criminal enforcement, arrest and investigation.
“It does not directly halt enforcement, but it severely limits the ability of the city or any staff to collect or provide evidence for prosecutions. It also preemptively bans surveillance of anyone or anything related to suspected abortions outside of some limited exceptions, like coercion or force,” a spokesperson for Vela told Changing America.

Yes, Austin... The one in Texas... I did a double-take myself.

Thoughts?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,289.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Austin... The one in Texas... I did a double-take myself.
Thoughts?

I spent a few days there before covid (is everyhing BC and AC from here on in?). It seemed a pretty chilled place with a young population. Lots of live music, beer gardens, cool bars, quirky restaurants...it didn't feel like Texas in some ways.

I didn't know they were primarily Democratic. But it doesn't suprise me.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Stunt....or they forgot how federalism works....

If RvW is rescinded it will have nothing to do with federalism. Abortion law will be up to the states -- until the GOP ignores its "states rights" malarkey and passes a federal ban.

And regardless of whether abortion is a state or federal crime, enforcement will still be determined at the local level... Abortion will still be a crime in Austin, just like jaywalking is a crime in Austin.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If RvW is rescinded it will have nothing to do with federalism. Abortion law will be up to the states -- until the GOP ignores its "states rights" malarkey and passes a federal ban.

And regardless of whether abortion is a state or federal crime, enforcement will still be determined at the local level... Abortion will still be a crime in Austin, just like jaywalking is a crime in Austin.

Yeah of course, it's not like they have some sort of state law enforcement entities like a state police or anything....plus it's impossible to create unique or new ones.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah of course, it's not like they have some sort of state law enforcement entities like a state police or anything....plus it's impossible to create unique or new ones.

State police have their own duties -- patrolling state borders or state highways, for example. Law enforcement within a given municipality is covered by the municipal police... it's all right there in the name.

When was the last time you saw a state trooper in the middle of the city? I don't know how it works where you're from, but it doesn't happen here.

But fret not -- I have the utmost faith that the Austin PD will give abortion all the attention that its chief, mayor, and city council determine is important... and that they will give the Texas Rangers all the assistance they can spare in tracking down renegade abortionists... just as soon as they finish their graffiti crackdown and track down that serial litterbug...

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0