katelyn

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2003
✟17,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as the foreskin retraction problems, I found this quote interesting (from the National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Clearinghouse):

"In some children, formation of a tight ring of scar (phimosis) due to repeat infection, irritation, or tearing prevents retraction; this causes spraying of the urine and traps urine beneath the foreskin, fostering infection in the urine or in the penis."

Sounds like a vicious cycle of infection causing more problems/infection. How do we prevent infection (and especially scarring from infection) before the foreskin can retract? I'm still not entirely sure, but found this interesting:

"Topical corticosteroid cream (0.05-0.1 percent betamethasone) applied to the penis can loosen the scarring in mild and moderate cases." (Although interestingly enough, they list two different surgeries, the first one being circumcision, as treatments for phimosis.)

Another quote from the same source:

"Furthermore, other factors are associated with penile cancer besides circumcision, and penile cancer incidence in societies with low circumcision rates and high levels of hygiene is comparable to that in societies with high circumcision rates. The UTI risk studies were nearly all retrospective and may have been skewed by other risk factors such as vesicoureteral reflux. Another factor that must be weighed in the balance is complications from circumcision; while the complication rate is very low, disastrous outcomes such as total loss of the penis are possible. Routine circumcision in the population would mean that thousands of children would be placed at risk to prevent just one case of cancer."

They basically sum up that more research needs to be done, i.e. better studies of UTI, how effective alternatives to circumcision are for treating phimosis, and study the effects of education of pediatricians and parents on proper care of an uncircumcised penis to see if it prevents pathological phimosis.

This information is from section 18, Phimosis and Circumcision Practice, of this paper.

Upvote 0

Jehane

Jul 15, 2006
✟9,200.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Firstly: Jesus, as an orthodox jew, was circumcised & I figured that was a good reason to follow suit. Secondly: Our dr at the time of our sons births was married to an ex-army dr & he took my DH aside & shared what he'd seen amongst the uncircumcised soldiers. It was so bad DH would not share with me & insisted all our sons be done despite the fact medical advice from other quarters was totally against it. Jehane

Upvote 0

Marie D

Jan 22, 2005
✟1,297.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
LJSGM said:
I think that circumcision produces less sensation in the tip of the penis which is the most sensitive part. There's a reason that it's there in my opinion, why remove it?

I guess this may be so, but perhaps that's a good thing? It could reduce the chances of a teenage boy discovering self abuse, or becoming addicted to it, and if it, ahem, slows things down a bit within marriage, surely that's to be welcomed?

Upvote 0

Les Grands Pieds

Oct 31, 2003
Texas
✟599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Marie D said:
I guess this may be so, but perhaps that's a good thing? It could reduce the chances of a teenage boy discovering self abuse, or becoming addicted to it, and if it, ahem, slows things down a bit within marriage, surely that's to be welcomed?
Maybe all boys should be castrated then.

One of the major reasons for circumcision has been to discourage masturbation.

If it's inhumane to circumcise animals and women, we have no right to circumcise little boys. Just because their fathers were circumcised doesn't make it any less wrong.

Reactions: Linnis
Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marie D said:

Anyone who actually thinks being circed helps prevent touching yourself must be kidding themselves. :D That was a backward belief promoted by some doctors and churches in the early 20th century. Maybe they should have told the boys that's why they lost their foreskin because they didn't and still don't know and most probably still do, even without a foreskin.

Self discovery will happen either way and they are just as likely to do it often or become sex addicts. I'd think if the penis is less sensative, they'd want to do it more to get the same effect. Women become sex addicts just as much as men and what's more according to doctors most don't enjoy sex they just can't stop.

If my sons are going to touch, which I'm sure they probably will, circing them won stop them. There are much more effective ways to help keep their purity.

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it interesting that I keep hearing how much circumcision reduces sensation in the 'tip'.

I have been involved sexually with 3 men in my lifetime (one of these non-consensual, repeated, molestation). By far the circumcised man has had MUCH more sensitivity in that area compared with the two that were not circumcised.

It's always surprised me when I hear that statement - cos it's not been my experience at all.

I am also a theatre nurse, and do a lot of procedures on men to do with their penis. By far the guys who are circumcised seem to be much more sensitive around the glans/tip than the non-circumcised guys.

I don't know why - and again it goes against what 'experts' say.

Sasch

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, cos I've heard that for years... :)

Based on personal experience medically with uncircumcised guys, it has done nothing but solidify my beliefs that circumcision is the wiser move. I've been involved in urology for 5 years now, and the more I see, the more I am convinced that circumcision is the better option... :)

Sasch

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well that's not exactly it. Although there are a lot of sensitivity glands in the foreskin, my understanding is that the foreskin protects it making it less sensitive in a GOOD way. Guys who are circumsized are more sensitive and can be damaged more easily if you're not careful. ;)

Upvote 0