No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I mean the assumption behind your post is that Church services are worthless and do nothing for people.

I do not know that any Churches do not do any overt charity work, but only an atheist would say that conducting services is not doing something for people, ultimately it does more for them than anything. Could some Churches do more? Maybe. But if a Church is acting as a place of worship to God then it is worth existing.

Upvote 0

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
Churches that do not do charity, not even care for their own members, totally ignore the poor, do these churches worth to exist?

The problem is an optical one. Many Christian churches are in reality businesses posing or pretending to be a church. One well-known denomination is not so much in the saving souls business as they are in the real estate business.

And odd that the churches that let their members fend for themselves and do very little for the poor are usually the fastest growing and most adept at fund raising. Satan often puts on the best shows ...

Upvote 0

LayHong_Loves_Christ

Jun 14, 2020
Penang
✟46,081.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A Church that only wants people to come and do services in it, give some money and go away.
What is the meaning of this Church?
Jesus said it is not to worship God in Jerusalem nor any specific place.
To be a Christian, I can worship God at home. Why must I go to Church?

John 4:21, ESV: "Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father."

Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure how a truly Christian church would not be involved in some way in doing good works, showing charity to people and especially to those in the church itself who are in need of help.

That may not mean they are involved in formal charity works; rather, it might be more like informal help or giving. Or even that the church itself is not doing the works but teaches and encourages the people in the church to care for their neighbors.

Churches doing charity works can be good, but can also be abused. There are churches that do their charitable works to look good, to get good press, to hold themselves up as good people. To my mind, this comes close to going against what Christ said about not doing your good works to be seen.

Be very careful of a church that hold up their good works, even charitable works, in such a way that they are doing little more than bragging about themselves.

• Useful
Reactions: IWalkAlone
Upvote 0