Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Buttermilk said:
I assumed for some reason (wrongly I think now) that the Church Of Ireland was Presbyterian. What are the various different churches in Ireland?

Yeah that would a wrong assumption.Church of Ireland is basicly the Church of England.I think it was set up when Britian ruled Ireland so they called it the Church of Ireland.Presbyterians exist though.My local one is after been taking over by an Evangelical Presbyterian.He is slowly changing it to be more Evangelical as it was very traditional and un-evangelical.

Upvote 0

Catrione

Oct 21, 2004
Belfast
✟8,370.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In my area in Belfast alone (1mile squared) there is a Catholic, Methodist, and Presbyterian Church, and what is either a Church of Ireland or another Presbyterian Church, and a Free Presbyterian Church. There is also a Mormon temple (or whatever its called). There are Baptist, and non-denominational churches pretty close too. Thre are others too but I just can't remember what they are.

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have a choice of getting two buses into college (both about 40 minutes including alot of traffic) if I get one of them I pass 1 Church of Ireland church(Anglican), 1 evangelical, 1 that I think is Presbyterian and 1 Catholic. If I get the other I pass 4 Catholic churches, 1 Baptist and just after I get off there is an Seventh Day church about 10 minutes up the road.

I live in South Dublin btw.

Upvote 0

Rossi

And I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
Sep 17, 2004
Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Maxwell511 said:
I have a choice of getting two buses into college (both about 40 minutes including alot of traffic) if I get one of them I pass 1 Church of Ireland church(Anglican), 1 evangelical, 1 that I think is Presbyterian and 1 Catholic. If I get the other I pass 4 Catholic churches, 1 Baptist and just after I get off there is an Seventh Day church about 10 minutes up the road.

I live in South Dublin btw.

What college you going to?

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The "Presbyterian Church in Ireland" would be the same as the Church of Scotland - They use CH3 (some of them use CH2) and ministers of both churches can flut backwards and forwards if they so desire. Church law and procedure is very similar probably because it has its roots in Scottish migration to Ulster.

http://www.presbyterianireland.org/home.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rossi

And I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
Sep 17, 2004
Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Paul_Norn_Iron said:
I was under the impression that if you went to Maynooth you were 'training' to be a 'Priest'?

No its a national university of Ireland like UCD.You can train to be a priest if you want though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zaire

Oct 5, 2004
✟2,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rossi said:
Presbyterians exist though.My local one is after been taking over by an Evangelical Presbyterian.He is slowly changing it to be more Evangelical as it was very traditional and un-evangelical.
All christians should be evangelical. Does that mean your church has broken away from the Presbyterian church?

Upvote 0