Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can't speak for Roman Catholic parishes, but for churches I have regularly attended, it's a bit of both.

It can be a bit of an echo chamber because the people there are either following and worshiping God, or at least seeking him in some way.

It can be more diverse than an echo chamber because that one message also draws in people of different backgrounds, who would otherwise not take the time to congregate together. I'm not going to go somewhere to specifically meet Democrats, for instance. But since there are Democrats who are still drawn to the Gospel, I meet them through church, and since I put Christ over politics, we actually talk.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think when I go to a Church or a place like this, a safe haven... I expect to discuss things within the same mindset and commitment to the Faith we all claim to follow. I mean, we can get dissection 24-7 in the world. I look at it as an oasis myself. Brings me back to Genesis where Eve was asked: ‘Did God really say??’

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't speak for Roman Catholic parishes, but for churches I have regularly attended, it's a bit of both.

It can be a bit of an echo chamber because the people there are either following and worshiping God, or at least seeking him in some way.

It can be more diverse than an echo chamber because that one message also draws in people of different backgrounds, who would otherwise not take the time to congregate together. I'm not going to go somewhere to specifically meet Democrats, for instance. But since there are Democrats who are still drawn to the Gospel, I meet them through church, and since I put Christ over politics, we actually talk.
I think there is a difference between disagreement under the faith we all follow and outright trying to undermine the faith we follow. Some seem to feel like they are the devil’s advocate and enjoy it.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is worshipping and fellowshipping with likeminded people echo chambers or edification? What do you think? Seems dissenting voices think it’s unhealthy and stupid.
If you are a dissenter you want to enlarge your space to dissent, so it's natural that any impediment to your dissent would be unhealthy and stupid. Doh!

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's edification. We all need time with the like-minded.

I agree, I would not want to go to a Church where no one thought mostly like I do. It's bad enough on forums where no one agrees :)

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is worshipping and fellowshipping with likeminded people echo chambers or edification? What do you think? Seems dissenting voices think it’s unhealthy and stupid.

I think it's hard to take one aspect of your life and call it an echo chamber unless you also compare it to the whole. For example, if outside of parish life you also only spend time with like-minded people, and your online/social media presence is carefully curated to exclude dissenting views and opinions, then perhaps that is a component of a larger echo chamber.

As things are for me right now I would love an "echo chamber" because my job subjects me to the polar opposite worldview on a daily basis for 40 hours a week. I'm thoroughly "challenged" just by being in the presence of the opposition so having an echo chamber would be a welcome respite.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's hard to take one aspect of your life and call it an echo chamber unless you also compare it to the whole. For example, if outside of parish life you also only spend time with like-minded people, and your online/social media presence is carefully curated to exclude dissenting views and opinions, then perhaps that is a component of a larger echo chamber.

As things are for me right now I would love an "echo chamber" because my job subjects me to the polar opposite worldview on a daily basis for 40 hours a week. I'm thoroughly "challenged" just by being in the presence of the opposition so having an echo chamber would be a welcome respite.
I agree. Many of us have to deal with the outside world with family, friends, jobs and the general population. Having safe havens like Church and even here is a welcome respite.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think there is a difference between disagreement under the faith we all follow and outright trying to undermine the faith we follow. Some seem to feel like they are the devil’s advocate and enjoy it.
And I agree with that, but many of the actual antagonists tend to not stay. Funny thing about keyboard warriors, many of them have no teeth in face-to-face conversations.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I agree with that, but many of the actual antagonists tend to not stay. Funny thing about keyboard warriors, many of them have no teeth in face-to-face conversations.
That’s my impression. The phrase, “Google is your friend” seems to apply. Plus the habit of never staying on topic. It’s creepy imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Ain't that the truth?

• Agree
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
The church should be a safe space not in the sense of what is going on out in the world but in the sense of faith. The church should be a place of respite an oasis from the madness of the world. But we are are not of the world. The church parishioner's can have disagreements involving the everyday mundane issues we all deal with but not regarding the faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, it is also faith community. We have to agree on some things. And yet even in a small circle we can have disagreements.
Which may be, in part, the key.

If a group cannot tolerate even minor disagreement, ... it has become an echo chamber.

Upvote 0